Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rust bluing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:55 pm 

I’m always searching for ways to improve rust and corrosion resistance on my airguns, as I live in a pretty damp apartment in a basement. My tools rust, my airguns rust, it’s a never-ending battle. Cold bluing with commercial products don’t work too well, eventually rust do appear. But, I found a new-to-me way to improve rust-resistance, it’s called rust bluing. After some research I found two method of doing it : slow rust bluing, and quick rust bluing.

Slow rust bluing have been used on firearms from the late 1800s to early 1900s I think, and seems to be extremely resistant to wear and corrosion. Actually it’s said to be as, or even more resistant than modern hot salts bluing. Manufacturers don’t use it anymore mainly because it’s very time consuming, and time is money! The process is to make the part rust in a controlled way to slowly build consecutive layers of black iron oxide, which is inert and somewhat ’’seals’’ the steel surface. It will take days to do an entire gun. Gippeto (Thanks Al!) has posted his experiment and results on the Canadian forum, and one can find lots of infos on the net. I won’t go too deep into the details of the process here, as there are many good sources to find informations about it.

Quick rust bluing is very similar but takes much less time, I believe it’s feasible to blue an entire gun in one day. I’ve tried my hand at it with a few small parts, one entire cycle takes about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. It will give a very dark grey, almost black finish, and once oiled it looks very nice. It’s a pretty simple process, and it doesn’t use any harsh and toxic chemicals, only products you’ll probably already have at home, except maybe for distilled water but that’s not hard to find. Here’s the recipe for the rusting solution I’ve used :

8 parts hydrogen peroxide
1 part white vinegar
Saturate with (ideally) non-iodized salt at room temperature
1 drop of dishwashing soap (as a wetting agent)

The process : First prepare your parts by de-greasing them, then sand them to remove old rust and pits if there’s any. I suggest going up to 400 grit, but you can stop at 220. Also I tried the process on old cold blued and hot-salts blued parts without de-bluing them and it worked well, just need to de-grease them carefully. Starting there, don’t touch the parts with your bare hands, use rubber/latex gloves.

Though not absolutely necessary, you can lightly pre-heat the parts (with a hair dryer, heat gun or over a baseboard heater) to speed up the process. Apply the solution with a cotton ball, small artist paintbrush or de-greased paper towel ONLY WHERE YOU WANT A BLUED SURFACE. Plug barrels ends and mask the surfaces you don’t want to blue. When you apply the solution go easy, you don’t want the solution to run or drip, the metal surface only needs to be ’’wet’’ otherwise it can cause spotting. Also don’t over-do it, don’t re-apply the solution many times at the same place, it won’t be more effective, BE PATIENT!

Shortly after applying the solution you should see it starting to bubble, and an orange-ish color will appear, this is red iron oxide starting to form. Now you need to let the parts dry, again you can use a mild heat source to speed-up the process. After the parts dried, you want to convert the red oxide into black oxide, this is done by immersing the parts in boiling distilled water. In under a minute you should see the parts turn black, with some yellow-ish or orange-ish residues. Take the parts out of the water and let them dry thoroughly, you may again use mild heat to help.

Next step will be to ’’card’’ the parts, for this you will need to rub them HARD with 0000 steel wool. Don’t be alarmed if you don’t see any difference right away, 3 or 4 cycles are usually necessary to start to see a darker color. Also I found that the higher the carbon content in the steel, the quicker you’ll see it darkening. My parts are made from 1018 low-carbon steel, and it took about 12 cycles to get them to the shade I wanted. I’ve tested a piece of 1045 medium-carbon steel, and it took only 8 cycles to get it to the same shade as the 1018. Do as many cycles as you want, up to when you reach the color you want. Once you have the color you want after carding, generously apply your favorite oil on the parts, and yet again mildly heating them will help by opening the metal’s pores. Let sit for at least 12 hours, wipe down the excess oil left, and you’re done.

As with many things, practice leads to perfection!!! I suggest practicing on some scrap parts to give you a good idea of the whole process before attempting to blue your parts. Also this process only works on carbon steels, not on stainless steels, aluminum or brass. I’ve also noted that it doesn’t seem to change the parts dimensions, my dovetailed front sight fits exactly the same as before. And lastly, cleanliness is next to godliness, keep your bare hands off the parts as long as the entire bluing process is not finished.

Here are a few links that may be helpful, but of course feel free to explore further :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lXeT2qzCi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmv58Z3RZ9c

https://www.canadianairguns.com/showthr ... icals-quot

https://www.rustblue.com/blog/rust-bluing-woes/

First pic shows the previously cold blued parts, second pic shows the newly rust blued parts:

Attachments:
RB_1.JPG
RB_1.JPG [ 56.76 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]
RB_2.JPG
RB_2.JPG [ 53.5 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]
1045_rust_bluing_test.JPG
1045_rust_bluing_test.JPG [ 41.21 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rust bluing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:25 pm 

Looks pretty good, airmec.
This rifle's barrel is rust blued, slow rust, carding between coats of browning solution, then boiling.

Attachments:
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG [ 254.96 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG [ 376.67 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
.50 Beck.JPG
.50 Beck.JPG [ 359.18 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:39 am 

Thanks Daryl!

Is that your .40 cal? Lovely rifle :) .

This week-end I'll attempt my ol' rusty Gecado 25.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:52 am 

Beautiful rifle for sure! :drinkers:

I have never needed to blue a barrel but I have memories of my dad doing so. I couldn't tell ya what method but the results were "factory". I wish I would have paid more attention, I sure miss the ol' man!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:25 am 

Nice work guys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:01 pm 

airmec wrote:
Thanks Daryl!

Is that your .40 cal? Lovely rifle :) .

This week-end I'll attempt my ol' rusty Gecado 25.

It's a .50, JP Beck, made by my bro. around 2012. Almost a bench copy of an existing Beck rifle, from about 1790 to 1800.
I've shot it quite a bit. Here's a picture of the original owner, now passed from cancer, shooting it at Rendezvous. I'm in the background, with a SxS .58 cal rifle
with Hatchet Jack, to left in the picture. The rendezvous "happened" before the rifle was finished and barrel rust blued.
Rust bluing, is a process that has been used, for at least 2 centuries, now, likely much longer. I think it started on "the Continent" (Europe).

Attachments:
LB.png
LB.png [ 540.77 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
IMG_2984.JPG
IMG_2984.JPG [ 244.03 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
IMG_2982.JPG
IMG_2982.JPG [ 356.73 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:54 am 

That's not a rifle. That is pure unadulterated art. Just stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm 

Shoots well, too. I've won a few monthly postal matches with it. My bro and I always shoot them together, kind of a "double" contest as well compete against each other
every time we do this, couple times per month.
This target was shot at 50yards, comparing 2 different granulations of powder and charges as well. This shows, that working up a load is VERY important, especially if you like winning.
I am guilty of that, at black powder rendezvous.
Same sight picture was used for both loads. Both loads delivered the same velocity. The difference in accuracy is striking.
the load consisted of a .495" round ball, with a 10 ounce denim patch, lubricated with water and water soluble oil 10:1. There was no wiping of the bore during this shooting,
indeed, I shoot all day without having to wipe the bore of fouling. Such happens with a tight ball and patch combination.
The first target is one I shot with my 14 bore English Sporting Rifle, also made by my brother. It is a 25 yard offhand target, 5 shots in competition against him.

Attachments:
25 yard group 14 bore rifle.JPG
25 yard group 14 bore rifle.JPG [ 717.31 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]
.50 Beck 50 yards rest.JPG
.50 Beck 50 yards rest.JPG [ 380.77 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:26 pm 

JayDee24ca wrote:
That's not a rifle. That is pure unadulterated art. Just stunning.

JP Beck was quite a prominent maker of fine guns, "back then".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:58 am 

Rust bluing kicks arse for the home gamer...have not bought cold blue in YEARS lol.

Something you may want to look into for conversion (and rusting) of larger parts is a steamer. It is a larger setup but works well...turkey fryer and an old canner with some holes drilled in the lid and a length of 4" abs pipe affixed to stand vertical on the lid. A rod at the top end to suspend the parts in the tube and a cap to close it up. Can do a barreled action in a day with the fast rust bluing process.

Still using a plastic container and kettle to boil the water for smaller parts or air pistols...same container is being used as the damp box for slow rusting usually.

Couple youtube channels to check out...they do a good amount of conservation and rust bluing;

https://www.youtube.com/@marknovak8255

https://www.youtube.com/@Backyard.Ballistics/videos

Have fun with it! 8)

Al

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:24 pm 

This is my brother's boiling tank.

Attachments:
100_1385_zpsbjtsan8r.jpg
100_1385_zpsbjtsan8r.jpg [ 205.9 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
100_1383_zpsnj3nxmgs.jpg
100_1383_zpsnj3nxmgs.jpg [ 224.56 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
100_1384_zpsmle0gt1p.jpg
100_1384_zpsmle0gt1p.jpg [ 216.8 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:25 pm 

The results from carding each 'coat' of rust, then boiling.

Attachments:
100_4442.jpg
100_4442.jpg [ 66.99 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:28 pm 

Now that is a nice setup! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm 

He's built a lot of good, useful tools for the gun making trade, he used to run. All Ml's of course.
Actually listed as a Canadian Gun Maker. Not many of those, commercially.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:21 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Rust bluing kicks arse for the home gamer...have not bought cold blue in YEARS lol.

Something you may want to look into for conversion (and rusting) of larger parts is a steamer. It is a larger setup but works well...turkey fryer and an old canner with some holes drilled in the lid and a length of 4" abs pipe affixed to stand vertical on the lid. A rod at the top end to suspend the parts in the tube and a cap to close it up. Can do a barreled action in a day with the fast rust bluing process.

Still using a plastic container and kettle to boil the water for smaller parts or air pistols...same container is being used as the damp box for slow rusting usually.

Couple youtube channels to check out...they do a good amount of conservation and rust bluing;

https://www.youtube.com/@marknovak8255

https://www.youtube.com/@Backyard.Ballistics/videos

Have fun with it! 8)

Al

Hi there Al :)

Actually, it's after seeing your tutorial and results that I decided to give it a go. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, and for the links!

Cheers, Francois :drinkers: