Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:36 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
I think "washing Soda" is an American marketing product?

I believe the Canadian equivalent is "Arm & Hammer" super washing soda or "Borax" washing booster? My wife uses Borax now and then, I will ask her.

Again, I think your parts turned out great. The minor pitting left can only be removed mechanically using "elbow grease" and multi grits of sandpaper and steel wool.

What a transformation! I'm extremely pleased and am going to give it a try myself. My gopher traps have been sitting a few years and the thought of sanding them drives me to work on something else. LOL

Well done sir! :drinkers:

Thanks again WoodWelder, glad to share what I've learned :) .

Actually washing soda is a product, made and sold by Arm&Hammer: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/arm- ... 30811.html

It's somewhat easy to find, I just didn't want to ride 30 km to get it :P . I had baking soda though, and now I know it's easy to convert, just heat it in the oven while you cook something else.

If I can give you some advices for your gopher traps, give them a good rub with a steel brush to remove loose rust, it'll speed the process up. Also make sure there's a bare steel spot to attach the wire on your parts so the current flows freely, rust is unfortunately not very conductive. And please be careful with the washing soda, as I mentionned, it's pretty caustic! I breathed some little dust, and had my nose running for over an hour, with heavy sneezing :lol: .

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:26 am 

airmec wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:

I believe the Canadian equivalent is "Arm & Hammer" super washing soda or "Borax" washing booster? My wife uses Borax now and then, I will ask her.

Again, I think your parts turned out great. The minor pitting left can only be removed mechanically using "elbow grease" and multi grits of sandpaper and steel wool.

What a transformation! I'm extremely pleased and am going to give it a try myself. My gopher traps have been sitting a few years and the thought of sanding them drives me to work on something else. LOL

Actually washing soda is a product, made and sold by Arm&Hammer: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/arm- ... 30811.html

It's somewhat easy to find, I just didn't want to ride 30 km to get it :P . I had baking soda though, and now I know it's easy to convert, just heat it in the oven while you cook something else.

If I can give you some advices for your gopher traps, give them a good rub with a steel brush to remove loose rust, it'll speed the process up. Also make sure there's a bare steel spot to attach the wire on your parts so the current flows freely, rust is unfortunately not very conductive. And please be careful with the washing soda, as I mentionned, it's pretty caustic! I breathed some little dust, and had my nose running for over an hour, with heavy sneezing :lol: .

Cheers!

Will do, thanks for the pointers.....This process reminds me of charging the old 12V vehicle batteries where you removed the caps to charge. If not in a well ventilated spot, that would choke a person up too.

I remember a co-worker 20yrs ago found ("old guy") an unmarked clear container with fluid. We both figure methyl hydrate, varsol, or possibly vinegar?

He opens the cap takes a sniff, immediately eyes watered, saliva running out of his mouth and his nose was leaking all over the floor.....I was laughing so hard I had to hang onto the counter to stay standing. Funniest thing I ever saw and will remember forever. Now here I am, now I'm the "old guy" and need to take care and be careful. I still see ol' Stan, now in his mid 80's still going strong!

Good Times! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:23 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:
airmec wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:

Cheers!

Will do, thanks for the pointers.....This process reminds me of charging the old 12V vehicle batteries where you removed the caps to charge. If not in a well ventilated spot, that would choke a person up too.

Indeed!

That reminds of something that happened about 35 years ago, when I started as a small engine mechanic. The guy at the counter thought he knew everything, but...! This dude went backstore once, to get a battery for a customer. That battery was brand new, and on the charger. The dude didn't unplug the charger before taking the leads off the battery. That resulted in big sparks, and a small hydrogen explosion in his face!!! Fortunately, we were in a marina, the river was close by, he jumped right in and wasn't too severely burned, but he sure remembered his ''acid trip'' :lol:

WoodWelder wrote:

I remember a co-worker 20yrs ago found ("old guy") an unmarked clear container with fluid. We both figure methyl hydrate, varsol, or possibly vinegar?

He opens the cap takes a sniff, immediately eyes watered, saliva running out of his mouth and his nose was leaking all over the floor.....I was laughing so hard I had to hang onto the counter to stay standing. Funniest thing I ever saw and will remember forever. Now here I am, now I'm the "old guy" and need to take care and be careful. I still see ol' Stan, now in his mid 80's still going strong!

Good Times! :drinkers:

:shock: :lol: