Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:46 pm 

I know for Hamilton or Durham as closest to my door but the drive through GTA is a thing, and back in time I was chasing archery tournaments I visited Greenville also Chatham and S.S.Marie couple times.
In the recent years I was shooting BR @ SGC (15 minutes from my home), but earlier this year I retired and now with a much slimmer budget I gave up on that high cost membership hoping for temporary only.
Both my airguns (FX Impact MK2 and Leshiy2) are currently set for high power (longer distances), but if I could find a FT place to join North of GTA in between 400 and 404 I may go for re-tune.
I have several indoor gun ranges in my neighbourhood around Aurora, but these all not airgun friendly. Also tried with farmers in the area but the biggest concern was a "livestock food poisoning" so gave up arguing with that.
What else may be available between GTA and Barrie for example if I would like to play FT? other then hitchhiking under power lines ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:02 pm 

Currently, there are three active clubs in Ontario. HAHA in Hamilton, Port club in Port Colborne and the Grenville club, just outside of Prescott.

A number of our shooters do drive in from the GTA, especially to the HAHA and Port matches. Some do, on occasion, make it out to Grenville. Car pooling is done by a few of them, so not sure if that is something you would consider. Maybe some others will chime in with some ideas.

I hope to see you at a match one day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:42 pm 

I enjoyed archery FT so much because of the most challenging game in that shooting sports, assuming airguns are the same. I will need to figure the way out from Aurora ;)
How is the equipment transport to these games?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:51 pm 

If you mean getting your gun out to the course from your car and moving from lane to lane, most guys just use a soft case at the course. I set my gun down beside my bag, sit down and pull my gun out of the case. When done shooting, I lay the gun in the case, close it up and leave the lane. I always keep the muzzle end of the gun facing down the lane or downward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:08 pm 

:) so no dollies or trolies wheeled setups not even for walking from target to target? Like some pictures I have seen from neighbour's at South. Because I almost picked up one second (it looks like forth) hand golf cart, to rebuild for the equipment...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:15 pm 

Around here, in rimfire sil. muzzle-up and action plugged are the mainstay.

Gun handling is pretty much the same as cowboy action, whose muzzle-up, action open rule is mandatory.

We don't have a FT airgun course - YET! Gordy would like to get one of those running. I think I would, as well.
The club actually has a bunch of the requisite targets, just no one to get it going, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:59 pm 

Yes, some of the guys have modified golf carts and and other cart to carry their gun and supplies. The gun points down to the ground or is cased. There are a variety of ways and as long as the gun is safe, we tend to be quite lenient.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:07 am 

Hi bigHUN.
There are a few of us regular FT shooters that also live north of Toronto and as Tim said we go regularly to Hamilton and Port Colborne (and sometimes make the longer trip to Grenville (it is very much worth it !!)).

Tim's comments about using carts and carriers and leniency is accurate for the Grenville and Port Colborne clubs. In those field courses you are out in the woods moving from lane to lane and are at least a hundred meters from the parking lot. HAHA is different since we shoot on the rifle range. The positive is that we are just a few steps from the parking lot so you can actually pop back to your car if needed, we are under shelter from the weather, and it is very easy to move through the lanes even for any shooters that have limited mobility. The downside is that this is a much more formal range environment with more strict rules on handling and moving guns. Carriers are not allowed (or needed). If you check out the match announcements in this FT section and scroll down you will usually see pictures of the ranges that we shoot on.

I hope to see you out to a match when we start up again in the spring.
Rob27

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:12 pm 

Just to recap what are the speed/energy limits in Port or HHA?
I don't have .177 anymore but I want to check how low I can tune the .22
My .25 Impact is tuned for 100 meters and beyond I would not mess with that, but I can re-tune the .22 Leshiy2. I just need to see how much I would loose from accuracy for 50M and below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:47 pm 

20 fpe maximum power for FT. Caliber is open except for Grenville with a "no .22 or greater" rule for their FT range

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:33 pm 

20 fpe is pretty close what I have currently 30 joules, de-tuning shall not be a problem.
I have never played anything lighter then 15gn in .22, just opened my memoirs and reading that at
50 meter rings these pellets behaved acceptable precision and consistency:
AA Ft, AA H, H&N Baracuda, I still have couple tins of each.
Anything else worth to try?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:24 pm 

Just spoke to a friend of my, he has one Hammerli FT rifle sitting in he's closet for couple years, I know that rifle, I serviced it for him couple winters ago.
I don't think that he have ever took it outdoors along these years, I may offer him something to trade.
My main concern is the 11mm dovetail. I have no mounts for dovetails, all my scopes that I have are meant to clamp on picatinny.
Any precise conversion you can advise?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:08 pm 

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/11mm-to- ... piece.html

This should do the trick.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:37 pm 

Or switch to dovetail rings to avoid adding more height over bore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:31 pm 

I use one I got from D&L Airguns, but it does add some height.
Bottom rifle. This one is the 17.1 moa base.

Attachments:
HW 97s resized2.jpg
HW 97s resized2.jpg [ 428.44 KiB | Viewed 444 times ]