Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:45 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, are all/most 10M competition shooters "near sighted"?

If a person is "far sighted" then 10M focus is "child's play" so in this case, these optics would only be useful to adjust the amount of light?

I'm just trying to fully understand the purpose!

They are not optics although many of us use some sort of magnification. It's an iris, so a hole to look through, in this case a very nice adjustable one. Far or near sighted it's all the same. Focus on the front sight till it's sharp, use the blurry rear to align, and aim for the middle of the blurry target.

iratecaller, not much to say. Learned a colleague/friend of mine was a ISSF shooter at the RA center and he convinced me to come out. Practiced night and day for a few years and kicked his butt. Still makes me smile to this day. I don't shoot 10m anymore. Not enough time so when I choose to shoot it's trap or skeet. Family and marathon training takes precedence. If you are looking for a performance baseline to shoot for, just look at that pun, but yeah I was normally 530-540's before I stopped. That's properly timed and scored. Come and get me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:46 am 

Daryl wrote:
I deleted "Get a haircut" from my first answering post. That was the first thing came to mind after seeing the picture.
A Great Aunt of mine, one of Dad's sisters from the old country, disowned me at a BQ at their place in Langley because
as I was introduced to her grandson, I said "get a haircut punk". LOL That was about 1974 when I was a policeman.

Haha ..disowned for a funny comment. In 1974 no less. People are much more fragile these days!

What you don't like my beautiful long hair?

You can probably tell I'm not a machinist or work around dangerous equipment. lol.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:20 am 

Daryl wrote:
I said "get a haircut punk". LOL That was about 1974 when I was a policeman.

LOL~ That looks really a policeman could say to a long hair young punk~ [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:34 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, are all/most 10M competition shooters "near sighted"?

If a person is "far sighted" then 10M focus is "child's play" so in this case, these optics would only be useful to adjust the amount of light?

LOL~ I understood the statement that "short sighted" or "far sighted" are both a illness and usually couldn't be cured however it can be "fixed" with glasses, optical equipments or surgery.... Because I wear no glasses until my 40s and suddenly need reading glasses...

And the "sharp sighted" or Eagle eyes are gifted and those eyes have much wider and highly adjustable muscles to give you a clear sight picture at any distance... [emoji38]

The explanation above about the Iris is seeing through a tiny hole is the case~

And the 100+ bucks more on the pro equipments (the nice diopter sights and this kind of shooter glasses add-ons) that is to offering the precisely adjustable abilities on the hole size than the a little bit cheaper plain peep sights (like the Williams) are more convenient to use.

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 am 

Mac wrote:
For pistol competition at 10M, I do not believe any serious shooter would be without these glasses. I went to my Optician and took a ruler with bit sticking up from it that looked like a front sight. The distance to the bit was exactly the distance to my front sight on my pistol when I was holding it, ready to fire. Didn't think he would appreciate me bringing a gun to his office. He made a prescription lens that focused perfectly at that distance and fitted it into my lens holder for the shooting glasses. That lens, plus the adjustable iris made shooting much easier, but also took away a number of my excuses for not doing well. :wink:
Well~ That's a special tool for you to make the high scores much easier I think~ :thumbs:

I always believe special tools do help in most of the cases than the universal hammer and flat head screw drivers~ Just some times you don't have those things around... :)

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:38 am 

Mac wrote:
For pistol competition at 10M, I do not believe any serious shooter would be without these glasses. I went to my Optician and took a ruler with bit sticking up from it that looked like a front sight. The distance to the bit was exactly the distance to my front sight on my pistol when I was holding it, ready to fire. Didn't think he would appreciate me bringing a gun to his office. He made a prescription lens that focused perfectly at that distance and fitted it into my lens holder for the shooting glasses. That lens, plus the adjustable iris made shooting much easier, but also took away a number of my excuses for not doing well. :wink:

Basically serious yes, but only about controlling light and hitting that 10 ring aka hitting the bull.

There's no ego in wearing these, people must understand. Everybody wears these only to help in shooting.

I literally have to swat girls away from me in public when in Giant Tiger ... the girls see my iris and they're like "WOOO you look like a guy that hits the bull every time. RAWR!"

It gets a bit annoying frankly, being a humble airgunner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:03 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Daryl wrote:

LOL~ That looks really a policeman could say to a long hair young punk~ [emoji38]

It is TOTALLY what a Cop would say. lol. .. they don't want criminals using their hair against them, but they secretly have a jealous rage simmering-on-low for the fact that long hair is manly AF.

... but modern life with powertools, foliage and people's wives constitute a constant hazard.

Look you don't need to have long hair and claim to be a musician or anything, it's ok to be a short haired you know, "dude".

hehe.

@Daryl, the world got emotional. Everything should have been cool then, but guaranteed, you can jab at me all you want here, and don't need to feel weird about it.

Those rifle sights. Hey you'll find it funny that I tried to use the iris sight on the fancy glasses for use with the Daisy 753S. I couldn't find the front globe! The front sight was so occluded by the thing I had in front of my eye that a panic started growing in me as the front globe eluded my sight. Yeah .. couldn't aim the gun. Total absolute mess. Do not use a light-limiting iris with your glasses in front of a rifle sight.

As an experienced Police Officer you might find it interesting that my style of training deviates from 10m convention and demanding the same level of performance in compressed format.

I really really don't care about conventions, the goal is hitting as many 10+ as possible, end of story. No competitions, no public, no fanfare .. just hit that 10 fast.

As a consolation prize, hitting 7+ at 10m would make me giddy as a school girl. Come spring, regardless of all the winter outdoor training, if I can hit 7+ at 10m given my physical limitations of: Astigmatism w/Corrective vision and shakiness as a result of nerve damage, I'll be feeling like a champ.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:32 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
'll be feeling like a champ.

No worries ~ You already a champ! (at least looks like a champ that stuff on!) :drinkers: [emoji38]

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
As a consolation prize, hitting 7+ at 10m would make me giddy as a school girl. Come spring, regardless of all the winter outdoor training, if I can hit 7+ at 10m given my physical limitations of: Astigmatism w/Corrective vision and shakiness as a result of nerve damage, I'll be feeling like a champ.

Don't sell yourself short. I've seen some jittery people shoot great scores. Just keep at it regularly and there will come a time when you are dissappointed for every non 10 shot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:26 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Daryl wrote:

At least I didn't call him a "puke", that was what we called the criminal, thieving "kids" on the street - well, all of them, kids and adults as well, the criminals only, of course.
As to long hair, really have nothing against it. Some lawyers have long stringy hair, Ian Runkle for instance. LOL I've never had long hair. 2 uncles were RCMP as well as having
VERY conservative parents.
In today's world, I get buzz cuts, that way I only HAVE to get a haircut every 6 or 7 months. It gets about an inch to 1 1/8" long, then gets chopped off. Takes 6 or 7 months to
get that long. The hair that gets chopped off is about 1/2 a handful. (big hands - :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:01 pm 

Well the 60's and 70's were the best times in my opinion. I used to be an elite hockey player and sported the best mullets going aka "hockey hair". :oops: :lol: :lol:

My dad used to use that as leverage "smarten up, or you'll get your hair chopped off" Hahaha!

If my dad were still alive he'd be in his mid 90's. No one was more ol' school than him. He could be an a$$ but he was fair and just! Many times all he had to do was give a look and not say one word. I smartened up for an hour or so anyways. LOL

Like Daryl I get buzz cuts now days as well. I bought me one of them cheap trimmers with the different size of snap in combs. I grab the mid one walk out to the shop and mow it off. I got tired of being ripped off paying for 4 sides when I only have 3 sides left. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm actually jealous of you iratecaller! I got rid of the mullet years ago; My rational was, having a lack of hair is like having no money, if you have neither then don;t pretend you do. So off come the mullet! :butthead: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, all in fun folks! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:39 pm 

I kinda resemble that remark about 3 sides, except it's pretty thin (& narrow) on the sides above the ears.
My wife does the zipping for me. (I can still do the trousers, so far, that is)
She uses the first one, for the 1/8" cut.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:47 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:

The lens I had made, creates a very clear picture of the front sight. The iris deepen the field of clear vision. So I can see the front sight, which is very important for alignment and I can still see the target well enough to align the sight in whatever way I choose. Six o'clock hold, centre mass hold or whatever other way you may choose. Eyes focusing well at about a metre and also at 10 M is not natural, so the iris enhances this ability some. The difference is quite remarkable if you ever get to try a pair of these glasses with open sights on a pistol.

Additionally, I shot pistol field target when the indoor club at Burlington had winter matches. I was using open sights to shoot field targets from 10 to 25 yards. The glasses with the iris made this possible. Without them, you are going to have very fuzzy sights or a very fuzzy target, neither of which is a formula for success. I had a lot of fun and did pretty well too. I was only in my late sixties and early seventies then. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:57 pm 

We don't allow apertures of any sort in our open sighted, black powder shoots. Thus, for us old guys, rear sight is VERY blurry, front sight is fairly clear with my glasses, but still fuzzy,
however the target is sharp. That's just the way it is - with my eyes. Most everyone sees differently, however quite a few older guys on the forum are now using this form of sight with good results.
I've found wide V English Express sights are good for me along with a relatively small bead. The bead site in the Valley perfectly, and the ball hits in the centre of the slightly fuzzy bead, which is held
in the centre of the bull.
A V rear is U notch rear sight is almost impossible to see due to the very fuzzy sides of the notch, but the wide V with a bead or short 45 degree angle on a steel or silver blade works for old eyes.
This sighting is also very good in the dark bush or on dark hair in a hunting situation.

Attachments:
P4291716.jpg
P4291716.jpg [ 70.3 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]
P4291715.jpg
P4291715.jpg [ 81.11 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]