Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: The Haze lifted....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:27 pm 

Remember Purple Haze? topic93518.html
Well, I never got the hang of shooting it so I made it into a carbine. I think it now needs a scope.
The shoulder stock, grip, fore grip and muzzle are printed in polycarbonate/carbon fibre composite. The one glued joint is messy, I filled it with JB Weld, so I will clean it up and smooth it out and put a coat of black spray paint. The rest will stay neat. Notice my signature white line... :lol: :lol: It took half a roll, or about 500g of filament so that's a $20 build, including a few failed prints before I got the setting right.

Attachments:
2240 New2.jpg
2240 New2.jpg [ 263.46 KiB | Viewed 589 times ]
2240 new1.jpg
2240 new1.jpg [ 263.68 KiB | Viewed 589 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

Post subject: Re: The Haze lifted....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:24 am 

The 2240 series is really a classic~ and new ppl like you equiped with the modernest devices (like 3D printers) can ignite the sky by lifting your haze higher and higher~ :lol: :lol:

(Will you consider a lazer cutter / engraver later ?! :lol: They are tiny and cheap now~ )

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:55 am 

Nice work Dukemeister!

Now my 2240 is super jealous and looking at me like I'm a bad dad or something.

Very inspiring. 500g! that's a dense print. Nicely done!

Looks great.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:51 pm 

Thanks, I get a lot of entertainment making parts.
iratecaller wrote:
500g! that's a dense print. Nicely done!

Looks great.

But the actual parts weight is about half that, my failure rate and learning curve ate up a lot of filament.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:06 am 

Is it your design? Looks great. Hits all the marks in my book. Great the material choice. If you can print polycarbonate you should be able to print nylon which would add to the impact resistance. You may need a bigger printer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:31 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Is it your design? Looks great. Hits all the marks in my book. Great the material choice. If you can print polycarbonate you should be able to print nylon which would add to the impact resistance. You may need a bigger printer.

No, not my design; I found it online and then molded the files to my liking.
I added stronger pins at the koints, and molded the butt end to have a removable pad (printed in TPU) and whiteline spacer. If interested I can send the stuff files and the originals.
I used an Ender 5 S1, and it does print Nylon 6, ABS, and ASA very nicely. I went either the PC-CF for the finish. The interlayer adhesion sucks, but with trial snd loss of error, I got it to stick.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:17 am 

Hey Duke, maybe you can try Methylene chloride for gluing up those pieces, i use that for welding my 3D printouts and repair of mostly anything plastic, it melts the part it touches and dries up really fast which is the bonding effect, its really nice, maybe it will work with your printouts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:42 pm 

pistolero wrote:
Hey Duke, maybe you can try Methylene chloride for gluing up those pieces, i use that for welding my 3D printouts and repair of mostly anything plastic, it melts the part it touches and dries up really fast which is the bonding effect, its really nice, maybe it will work with your printouts.

Methyl Chloride (plastic solvent) may be a bit harsh for my basement shop. I find the Epoxy "plastic bonder" works well for my parts. Here is the final product, i have decided to leave the laser sight, and I put the thumb switch on and it feels very natural in the hand and on the shoulder. I stand a chance of hitting a soup can at 10 yards now!

Attachments:
2240 a.jpg
2240 a.jpg [ 399.19 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]
2240 b.jpg
2240 b.jpg [ 321.64 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:56 pm 

Epoxy plastic bonder, Duke. I've never heard of that before. 5 minute, 10minute, 12 min, 24hr.?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:16 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Epoxy plastic bonder, Duke. I've never heard of that before. 5 minute, 10minute, 12 min, 24hr.?

Hi Daryl, I get this stuff from Princess Auto, it goes on sale around $9-10.
https://www.amazon.ca/Weld-50139-Plasti ... r=8-1&th=1
There are others as well, like this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7TfdinHyJs&t=3s

I first started using it to repair plastic bumper fascia after one of my kids put her car in the ditch (black ice) - it worked a treat and I've been using it for plastic ever since. I believe the bumper plastic was polypropylene, which is a bit polar (waxy) but this stuff sticks to it.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:56 pm 

TKS- I've never seen it for sale. Guess I just haven't looked for it. I will get some!! Might come in handy.
I've used a lot of JB weld in the past, but no Loctite products other than blue Locktite for the screws on my HW's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:10 pm 

Got both black and tan colours of the JB Weld Plastic Bonder. The local PA did not have the Locktite version.
Now, I just need some broken plastic to try it out on. LOL Paid $24.00 with tax.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:43 am 

That's a great result Duke. Excellent use of multi material. That Creality is earning it's pay.