Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 781
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:17 am 

I got my crosman 781 four years ago, and it has served me well. I've taken countless sparrows with it. Pretty good accuracy with pellets, as long as you don't use BB's, they ruin the rifling. With BB's it's real fun, just pump once, cock, fire, repeat. Good firerate for a pnuematic rifle. The single pump feature is nice. Terrible sights, they are huge, almost impossible to get a percise shot picture. But for $60 bucks, you can't go wrong. It's also very comfortable, and light. When you get it you have to decide, is it going to be a BB gun or a pellet gun? I recommend BB gun, just cuz it's great for short range plinking, but with pellets, it's possible to do entry level 10 meter target. A great little gun, I recommend it to everybody.

PS: first post in the new forum, neener neener!! :mrgreen:

Hey, don't hate. It releases negative energy, which is bad for everyone.

Post subject: CROSMAN 781
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:57 pm 

I recently bought a 781 for my grandson - like you said ,it's fun to
shoot . It's a lot more accurate with pellets because when you measure
them , they actually are .177in whereas BBs are anywhere from .170 to
.173in - BBs therefore bounce around in the barrel before exiting ,leading
to greater inaccuracy .
By the way ,my barrel is not rifled - put a flashlight at the breech & check yours out .
In case you're interested in velocity figures , I get 380fps with BBs
& 356fps with pellets(7.9gr)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:42 pm 

Yup, mine is rifled... I prefer BBs in it though, cuz repeat shots are fun and reloading the clip sucks... Mine has a bit of a leaky piston so it gets 300 fps with BBs. Meh, it wasnt that accurate with pellets anyway, so I'm glad I went the BB route..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:20 am 
Supporting Members

I have had the 781 for close to 10 years now........great gun.......and I dont have a problem with the stock sights.....I can nail a penny on a post from 40 feet, so I think for a budget gun its pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:44 pm 

i dont understand, whats wrong with shooting bbs and pellets......ist what its designed for. Are all bb/pellet guns this way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:52 pm 

It's not the Gun, it's the BB's. Buy good quality BB's like Gamo Lead Rounds. :wink:

Mike... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:07 pm 

XtremeEuph wrote:
i dont understand, whats wrong with shooting bbs and pellets......ist what its designed for. Are all bb/pellet guns this way?

Whats wrong with it? The BBs are made out of hard steel, and they are about .175" OD, whereas the ID of the barrel is exactly .177" ID, so the BBs "bounce" down the barrel, scratching it and grinding away the rifling over time. So when you shoot it with pellets, that are designing to bite into the rifleing and spin, there's nothing for them to grip on, so they're inaccurate. It wrecks the barrel.

"ist what its designed for." Horseshit. Crosman wants to sell this thing, so they want as many good things as possible. They lie. BBs wreck the hell outta the barrel.

"Are all bb/pellet guns this way?" That I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:50 pm 

OK thanks for the info.....still going to shoot both seeing im just an amateur shooter....................:D i still seem to hit the 10 mark somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 pm 

i used to think the same thing, but the rifling in this barrel is polygonal. the bb contacts flat faces, so really there is nothing to damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling
all the rifles that say they can take both types of ammo have either polygonal rifling or arent really rifles at all (smoothbore)
i have shot a 781 many times, and i liked it. alot. probably liked the trigger most, never seen one that nice on such a cheap gun.