Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:26 am 

Hello people!

My name is Richard, I am a seasonal worker, single (marriage breakup about three years ago), and I am close to sixty years old. My how time flies.

I was taught to shoot by the air cadets - when I was 14/15 years old I could get a 3/4" group at 25 yards with 5 shots .22LR. I did it once with a .303 too. I was raised in England where guns are very heavily regulated so didn't do any shooting after I left cadets.

I came to Canada and when I was 26ish one afternoon I went out with a friend and a 410 shotgun.
We walked around just killing things, not really thinking about it. at the end of the day I had killed ten or fifteen birds and I had this feeling like WTF just happened?? Why did I do that? After it was over, it felt horrible killing for pleasure, but there was no real pleasure, just a deep feeling of shame. FYI I don't have a problem with people killing animals as long as there is a purpose, and they try to do it as humanely as possible.

I haven't really picked up a gun since - Until a week ago. I bought a umerex XBG (mistake) and an American classic 1322 in .22

I've probably put around 70bb's out of the xbg - but it doesn't really interest me.

The 1322 is something else though - I really think I have got a good one - it shoots quite consistantly - It is powerfull too - with 8 pumps (not 10) I fired at a target 112 ft away - the average speed was around 460 fps (with 19g pellets) Thats not 460 fps at the muzzle - its the average speed for the whole 112ft distance.

I would like to improve the 1322 just a bit - red dot sights and a better trigger. If I'm still having fun with it then maybe buy a decent pistol and mod it - or maybe put a 12" barrell pn the 1322

I must say I was reading this forum for a couple of hours before deciding to join. I'm really impressed by the workmanship and ideas that you all are putting out there. I didn't see any trolls/ hostility either which is cool, because I am not here to argue with anybody.

I do hope this wasn't too depressing - it's my story. I used to enjoy shooting and I'd like to plink away at targets seeking (but not attaining) perfection. If I see a rat, I will likely shoot it. Nothing else though, and I'm not going to try to hunt rats down. I get that other people shoot animals, whatever...when I'm perfect I will try to change how other people live their lives.

I can see that hunting animals may be a conflict/ divisive issue - so I will not address this any further. I have no interest in creating disharmony in my first post so would appreciate it if you could just let it go and not discuss it in this thread whether you agree or disagree with me.

I'm excited to know I will be getting a better trigger action soon!!!!

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your community - have a great morning/ afternoon folks! - Richard/ Under pressure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:14 am 

Welcome to the CAF Richard, probably one of the best intros I have read in a while 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:32 pm 

Great Intro Richard, looking forward to your post, Welcome to CAF.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:09 pm 

A warm welcome. If you are in Canada, then the likelyhood is that particular firearm is RPAL (restricted) and you are potentially breaking the law in an era where such action could land you in a whole lot of trouble. Or perhaps you are mistaken about the pellet weight and speed, so perhaps you could reevaluate that 1322 performance. A longer barrel will make it much worse. With a standard weight pellet, say 14 gr - muzzle velocity needs to be under 500 fps, unless you have an RPAL license and shoot only at an official range. HIH.
https://airguncalculator.com/

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:27 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Richard.
When I was young, I did pretty much as you did, but the quarry was chickadees, sparrows, starlings and grackles.
Not sure why I shot the chickadees. This was all sub-12 years old. After 12th birthday, my uncle gave me a .22LR., then, I became a hunter of edible game.
I would just call that 460fps vel. as muzzle velocity. If an average, then it is as the Duke says.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:38 pm 

Hi Richard! You are very welcome and I think we are glad that you joined the party! Have a great stay here ~

1322 is a real classic without doubt! And its sister/brother 2240... Just be careful of the rabbit hole about moding them~ [emoji38]

I had a nice 1322 before however I then looks like the 2240 more which gives me no pumping and looks simpler... So I sold my 1322 to a good hand and keep the 2240.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:44 pm 

You be you and I'll be me, ain't that the way it's meant to be...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The written text can sometimes look judgemental? Seriously, good folks here that are always willing to help out and share what works for them.

Welcome to the forum Richard. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:39 am 

Welcome to the forum. It is a nice community isn't it. Other could learn much.