Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:12 am 

Put shells in the tube of a mag feed shotgun? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:52 pm 

I don't understand what caused the detonation of a shotgun shell in the magazine. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds in an 870.
Been shooting tube mag 12 bores since my JC Higgen's back in 1973 & my first 870 in 78.
Injuries? Yours?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:16 pm 

No not me, I wouldn't be so inexperienced.

I found it on a blog and the "cause" is what the author was saying is loading the tube with shells when the gun is designed for a mag feed. So, using both mag and tube feed.....This is simply not possible!

I am confused as well and so, were other posters saying "how can this be".......My belief is, the dude shot a round and it was a dud leaving material from the round left behind in the barrel and the guy chambered another shell and it blew the gun apart? This is the only possible cause in my mind? I have heard of this happening but have never seen it.

I can only imagine what the shooter's hand looked like? :shock:

Here is the link Daryl. https://www.reddit.com/r/Shotguns/comme ... ?rdt=64830

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:10 pm 

The barrel itself not blown or split on the bottom top or sides, which would/could happen if there were wads, ect. blocking the barrel.
It is possible the "person" say a Taofladermause video with a weird shotgun slug with a rifle bullet inside as well, but sticking proud of the
front end of the shell, and had a couple of those in the tubular magazine. When firing one in the chamber, the point of the bullet at the breech
end of the mag. tube resting on the primer of the 'shell' ahead of it, would detonate that primer.
if the shotgun had been converted for a box magazine, the tube under the barrel should have been blocked off by the BOX of the magazine. If
such a BOX mag.conversion was made, the normal floor plate which raises a shell from the tube up, so the bolt can push it into the chamber to load,
would have been removed & another mechanism to hold the BOX would have to be installed. Even so, if nothing was blocking the tube magazine, there
would be no reason to put rounds in it, due to it not working any more.
Now, I will watch the video.
TKS.

OK - interesting and upon looking closer at the shoguns, I see the box magazine in place. The tube must have been loaded, as was suggested by a couple
responders, from the front end. As I noted, there is not remaining mechanism to feed those shells from the tube into the barrel. There must have been something
on the front end of the magazine, protruding to rest upon the primer of the first round in the tube. That one firing may or may not have fired the second on in the
tube.
Stupid, dumb mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:51 pm 

All good points, yeah the barrel is in good shape, I was only focused on the damage. Your thoughts of the shell rubbing on the front of the mag is a possibility...... I can only assume it wasn't the first or second round shot off to cause enough friction to set the primer off?

What would have been the point of loading the tube if all the bits were removed; Perhaps using the tube as a storage compartment? Storing shells in there would be inconvenient.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:41 am 

That's a Remington 870 isn't it?

I don't understand the
"Put shells in the tube of a mag feed shotgun?" reference. The 870 is a tube magazine and that appears to be where the offending shell was.

Isn't that the reminants of a shell protruding from the action?

It requires significant heat, far more than from action friction to set off a primer, IME, so I'd discount that. What about something such as a piece of material or broken action part in place when the shell was released to cycle back in the magazine tube. The spring, especially when only one shell is in place, shoves that shell back with a real smack.

If the primer were driven against a "firing pin" type obstruction, and set off that shell in the magazine tube, wouldn't that cause the effect shown in the photo?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:56 am 

Yes, that is the Remington 870 DM (The DM stands for detachable magazine)....Funny how some responses were to bash the rifle? LOL

Quote:
"firing pin" type obstruction
yeah highly likely? if he used the tube to store shells the shell(s) would rattle around; The first to bang up against the plate or magazine if the plate was removed?

The whole thing/idea was stupid right from the start. Unfortunate for the shooter as he got a self inflicted spanking!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:08 am 

That damage would certainly cause injuries, but how serious depends on clothing worn.
If you go to the link, you can see the box magazine housing. These guns were made to take a 10 round box magazine.
Putting shells into the tube below the barrel was a stupid thing to do - obviously.
Having to unscrew the tube's end cap to extract ammo for another 5 rounds really doesn't make sense for storage, but
with someone dumb enough to actually put ammo in there, well????
What the piece of shell casing left in the action appears to be, is the actual base of a shell, with most of the brass blown
off. This makes sense. There is one little piece of brass left on the case. In case you were not aware, 12 bore hulls do not
need the brass for strength. When paper base wads are used, they are necessary to hold everything together. With modern
compression formed cases like WW AA's, the brass is not needed. Even on high brass cases, it is only used as an identification
device for lower or higher "powered" (heavier load) ammo. Both high brass and low brass are loaded to produce the same pressures
- which is under 12,000psi as a rule. Just Googled it to check my memory.

(11,500 psi
The maximum average pressure (MAP) permitted by SAAMI for 12-gauge 2¾" service loads is currently 11,500 psi. CIP (European law) permits slightly less at 10,730 psi (740 bar).

Further note, many handloads listed in manuals run pressures in the 8,000 to 9,000psi range by using slower burning powders. I've found these to generally produce
better patterns with larger shot for migratory birds than higher pressure loads. The standard high pressure fast burning powder 1 1/8oz. trap loads usually do best with the
finer 7 1/2 to #9 shot used on clays, trap and skeet shooting.