Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: SlamFire anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:55 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5hK69dq_E

:lol: :drinkers: :lol:

Post subject: Re: SlamFire anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:50 pm 

I found I could not shoot buckshot rounds faster with either the Winch. M12 or the Ithaca m37, than I could with my 1960's JC HiGGENS or the m870 I graduated to in '76.
His shooting of the mossy pump was really slow. With some practice he would improve quite a bit.
As the starting demo at a riot squad practice, I used to "clean" 6 B27's at 25 yards in less than 2 seconds. The first one still rocking when all 6 are hit. Individual target racks.
With full power loads, good aim is disturbed by trying to rack the gun too quickly while holding back the trigger. You cannot miss fast enough to win.
With the gun at your shoulder, upon recoiling the gun climbs as the slide comes back. Racking it forward brings the gun back into target. Shooting accurately with those stupid pistol grip is difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:27 pm 

I have been trying to shoot slower, making each round count more. Ammo is expensive.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:08 am 

Check out this Lena Miculek quad load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glbqqz8Vy9k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:14 am 

Here Lena shows how to twin and quad load.....I've twin loaded for years but never tried quad loading.

I just picked up 8 rounds of snap caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5qtDr7ZSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:34 am 

tangolima wrote:
I have been trying to shoot slower, making each round count more. Ammo is expensive.

-TL

Ammo is insane in price, all materials no matter what it is seems to be a "shortage".....Funny how that is?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:38 am 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of pistol grips on a shotgun either, the boomstick is even worse......They look cool though!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:47 am 

Look at Lena's dad Jerry......What it must be like to have sponsors with unlimited ammo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:06 am 

The Mikuleks are something else. Lena is picking up the "sport" quickly.
Jerry's sponsor in S&W. They use mostly Benelly's (S/A) I think. That one can be shot faster due to the different recoil from other S/A's.
With practise, a good pump can be fired faster but it takes dedicated work and lots of ammo.
Seems to me trap loads are still fairly inexpensive.
BTW, a true slam fire happens with an overly sensitive primer in a semi-auto & full autos, not from holding back the trigger and working the slide.
Slam-fires are why there wad a stronger cup primer made specifically for M16s & AR style firearms.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:21 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, a ready built slamfire shotgun is a "broken" shotgun.....

My hero hickok45 feels the same...."Your pump should not be the trigger".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9X8J74CyQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:10 pm 

Holding the trigger back while working the slide is poor form anyway.
Only a defective firearm slam-fires.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:23 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, a ready built slamfire shotgun is a "broken" shotgun.....

Those guns will not fire just from the slide movement alone. The trigger has to be held back for the gun to fire when the slide is slammed forward.
The trigger is the trigger & the nut operating it, is improperly using the gun for something it was not meant to do, but does. Thus, the slide is not the trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:00 pm 

Daryl wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:

Those guns will not fire just from the slide movement alone. The trigger has to be held back for the gun to fire when the slide is slammed forward.
The trigger is the trigger & the nut operating it, is improperly using the gun for something it was not meant to do, but does. Thus, the slide is not the trigger.

Yes, you must hold the trigger while pumping. "your pump should not be the trigger" This was hickok45 quote not mine. In a sense he is right in saying this? If you hold the trigger, it no longer remains the trigger? It is more of a play on words......A gun that does this would be mothballed in my household. I would never let anyone shoot with it!

Did you know hickok45 (Greg Kinman) is a retired English teacher? How cool to have a teacher like him?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:57 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
tangolima wrote:

-TL

Ammo is insane in price, all materials no matter what it is seems to be a "shortage".....Funny how that is?
It really is. Try pricing out some 410. A bit shocking. I was seriously considering moving to skeet only so I could shoot and reload 20ga but the person who pulls trap gave me the evil eye. Fine, I'll continue to shoot both. Reloading 12ga isn't much of a price savings but you do get a much better quality shot over the commonly used Challenger stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:33 pm 

12 bore trap loads seem to be a decent price, still. Smaller gauges are outrageous.
I have some .410 ammo I bought 2 decades ago and will not be buying more. It works poorly on grouse.
I prefer my BP loads in an 1880 era Field SxS, London Gun I have, with 2 1/2" chambers. It swings like it
is a part of me. Most shotguns do, LOL, but this one is special.