Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:32 pm 

Quote:
A New Mexico sheriff announced an investigation into an anti-gun organization for potentially buying guns illegally during a so-called “gun buyback” program San Juan County Sheriff Shane Ferrari announced the investigation into the New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence group about two weeks ago on what appeared to be a former campaign page for his candidacy for the sheriff’s office, “Shane Ferrari for Sheriff.” Ferrari, who made headlines earlier this year after he shot a dog during a traffic stop, posted the announcement on Dec. 17. “Before it comes out in the media and gets twisted one way or another, I want to inform you that I am investigating San Juan County citizens’ complaints on ‘New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence’ gun buyback program not complying with New Mexico State Law 30-7-7.1 ‘Unlawful sale of a firearm without a background check,'” he wrote. “Reviewing the law I do not see where they are exempt from having to undergo a background check and are required to like anyone else,” he explained. “A sale is taking place (gift cards $100 and up), it is advertised as a purchase and called a ‘buy back.'” Ferrari explained that the law allowed for so-called “buyback programs” run by law enforcement agencies, but New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence did not appear to be affiliated or working with any such agencies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-m ... r-AA1mk1lz

Any thoughts how the investigation will go?

Things are ramping up.........!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm 

I'm guessing that they will just get a warning but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:01 pm 

I have a pretty good idea which side will be "Waltzing Matilda".....LOL

Exciting times! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 pm 

All you need in New Mexico to buy a gun without a background check is to have a dealers licence FFL no state licence is required. This a great way for a dealer to get guns cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:37 pm 

My thoughts exactly, Robert.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 pm 

I wouldn't rule out anything when there is a chance to earn a buck......How dirty/double minded could a gun dealer be?

As far as my research on buyback programs, there is no 100% proof these even work? I can see owners cashing in on wore out or unreliable firearms etc. Another thing to consider is the increasing amount of mental illness, this could be another reason for some to turn theirs in. Old age, not using them anymore etc......

I was looking over at the GunPost and read a "reason to why the sale of items were". Here is the quote below.
Quote:
Orignally used by my brother for small game hunting, but unfortunately due to mental health reasons he cannot be trusted around weapons of any sort. Both guns are powerful ( not sure about the specific fps ) and are in perfect working condition.

Interesting how the person writes not sure of the fps but are powerful and in good working order? Why were they not sold on consignment?
Can we believe anything anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 pm 

I want, severely want, there to be a buy-back on handguns, but now, the federal gvt. is making noises to cancel the buy-back on the May 1st 2020 prohibition guns.
I think $500.00 each would be a good price for handguns.
Local Corlanes Sporting Goods has a used gun rack for consignment guns. I peruse it often and find the pricing quite high, however pricing on new guns is wild. I haven't
bought rifles for a number of years and it shows in what I would sell mine for while at the same time, realizing a profit on what I paid for them, even though they are now used.
I guess maybe I resemble that old age remark. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:50 pm 

We are all getting older and as long as we still "want" means we still have purpose and drive to keep, keeping on. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:10 am 

Quote:
The attorney general of New York has changed the rules of a state gun buyback program, after a participant exploited the system by using a 3D printer to make firearm parts in bulk that he then exchanged for $21,000 in gift cards.

The seller, who identified himself by a pseudonym, said he traveled from West Virginia to a gun buyback on 27 August in Utica, New York, to take advantage of a loophole in the program – and to demonstrate that buybacks are futile in an era of printable weapons.

At the buyback, the seller turned in 60 printed auto sears, small devices that can convert firearms into fully automatic weapons. Under the rules of the buyback, hosted by the office of the attorney general, Letitia James, and city police, that entitled him to $350 for each of the printed parts, including a $100 premium, since they were deemed “ghost guns” lacking serial numbers.

The seller, who declined to provide his real name, said in an email on Monday the prospect of making money was enticing, but that the big reason he took part in the buyback was to send a message.

He called the idea of buybacks “ridiculously stupid”, adding that “the people running this event are horribly uneducated about guns, gun crime and the laws surrounding the regulation of guns”.

Keep digging and I can find anything. LOL

I remember a few years back two fully automatic submachine guns believed to be manufactured at a machinist shop just west of Edmonton were seized by police.....There could be thousands built and on our streets?