Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:27 pm 

All fasteners should be torqued to 1/4 turn before they break :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:28 pm 

I always turn them until they strip, then back 'em off 1/4 turn. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:35 pm 

Those that use torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers, how do you know your unit is in spec, even from new? Do you ever take it in to get it checked for calibration? I have heard many stories over the years of folks doing more damage than good with torque drivers.

The main thing to know about tightening anything is to use the proper sized bit for the screw head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:16 pm 

so far just one specific recommendation of screwdriver!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:21 pm 

Since I left many of my precision tools in Vanauatu when we came back to Canada, I have selectively replaced some of them, including all my torgue wrenches.

The torque screwdriver I have is a1-6 Nm ZSQ-6, like this one.

I'm an ex-automotive technician, service manager, college instructor, marine & motorcycle tech, plus a Power Engineer. I use measuring tools where values matter and have seen many problems caused by people who "knew the feel". When I was in the trades, industry studies indicated that large fasteners tended to be under-tightened, while small ones over-tightened.

If someone wants to go by "feel" on their stuff, I have no concern, but not touching mine.

This torque screwdriver appears to be the same as many brands, some with different colors, as some friends' have yellow while mine is blue.

The only downside, IMO, is the Newton Meters, when I still think in inch and foot pounds when I need to be certain of values. I've just printed up conversion charts. The only excuse if that I'm old. ;-)

https://www.amazon.ca/Accurizing-Screwd ... 04f1ca0da8

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:02 pm 

Not that it matters much...I have the Wheeler Fat wrench. Nice piece of gear to have on hand and beats guessing or breaking/stripping fasteners.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:21 pm 

Bought a torque wrench for the wheels many years ago for a g9od discount price and never ever used it once....
Just tightening my things use common sense and not over tightening... If needed, just give it another1/4 turn... It's just an airgun even you lost one screw, it only affect your accuracy and won't kill you. And you can always check the tightness of your screws at any time.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:49 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Not that it matters much...I have the Wheeler Fat wrench. Nice piece of gear to have on hand and beats guessing or breaking/stripping fasteners.

Al

thanks. can you post a link to the one you have? i see two different versions out there

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 am 

I have worked in the aerospace industry as a machinist for nearly 40 yrs and torque wrenches are one of my everyday tools. They get recalibrated every 3 months. While I realize the regular person doesn’t have access to calibration tools,there is one bit of advice I can give,to prolong your torque wrench’s accuracy. Assuming it’s already set accurately.
Most torque wrenches use a spring to achieve the required torque. Turning the handle to change the torque setting stretches out the spring. So when you are done you should reset your torque wrench back to the lowest setting. It’s kinda like cocking your spring piston rifle and leaving it cocked. Overtime the spring will fatigue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:33 pm 

Didd wrote:
I have worked in the aerospace industry as a machinist for nearly 40 yrs and torque wrenches are one of my everyday tools. They get recalibrated every 3 months. While I realize the regular person doesn’t have access to calibration tools,there is one bit of advice I can give,to prolong your torque wrench’s accuracy. Assuming it’s already set accurately.
Most torque wrenches use a spring to achieve the required torque. Turning the handle to change the torque setting stretches out the spring. So when you are done you should reset your torque wrench back to the lowest setting. It’s kinda like cocking your spring piston rifle and leaving it cocked. Overtime the spring will fatigue.

Exactly my point, who other than you has access to re calibrate? In addition, a torque device is not to be used as a driver/socket set, all fasteners need to snug then place the device on to torque it to spec.

I own three torque wrenches when I perform mechanics on my Harley's and are only used for fasteners inside the engine or tranny case. I've done my own wrenching for decades and never needed a mechanic.

Not necessary in my opinion to torque anything on rifles or scopes, all fasteners are easily seen in plain sight!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:54 pm 

I use the Wheeler Analog Fat Wrench for torquing scope ring screws and the stock screws on rifles. I honestly barely use it as I am don't buying new equipment very often so this works for my needs.

Here is a link to it on Amazon:
https://a.co/d/6al1KCS

There is also a digital version of the same scr, but I have no experience with the digital version.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:34 pm 

I knew a guy who wanted to built a bunch of muzzleloading guns. He had ALL of the tools, many more than needed for any specific job. He amassed all of the parts of the best quality
he could find, costing well over $1,200.00 per gun. He had parts for at least 14 or 15 guns, along with many thousands of $ in tools and as well, thousands of $ in reloading equipment
as well. None of these items were every touched. He just continually had questions on building and loading, until he passed on, decades later. The only time he EVER fired a muzzleloading
gun, was when he was visiting my bro and I here in P.G. & even then, it was one of our guns,, even thou he had a commercial Great Planes rifle that Taylor re-built/fabricated for him to be
a truer version of a Hawken rifle.
There is a point to his post. That is do not stall/stop/fail to enjoy a hobby by overthinking it before actually participating in it.
Yes, I have stripped screws or the threads themselves, but I'd guess it has happened only 1/2 a dozen times, in 65 years. I shoot a LOT & do not have an adjustable torque screwdriver. The only
scopes I have ever had slip, were on my .458 Magnum. I remedied that in seconds, at the range.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:22 pm 

My mounts are worth hundreds, my scopes 1000+ and the custom stocks are worth close to 1000 now. I simply am not comfortable with my best guess. Most of the screws on my rigs are 4mm or smaller and have fine threads. I have the Wheeler Fat wrench as well and consider it a great investment. If you are concerned with proper torque for any screw on your rig, I highly recommend a torque wrench. Sticking with what was ok many years ago may not be the best way forward.

Using a quality torque wrench that may be off by one inch pound will not be a big issue. Using the long end of a allen key, that can put you over by 20 or 30 inch pound quite easily, might be a concern.

In the end, you do what works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:33 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:
Those that use torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers, how do you know your unit is in spec, even from new? Do you ever take it in to get it checked for calibration? I have heard many stories over the years of folks doing more damage than good with torque drivers.

The main thing to know about tightening anything is to use the proper sized bit for the screw head.

Testing them is a basic physics exercise.

We had a torque meter at a college where I used to teach automobile mechanics. An interesting exercise at journeyman upgrading courses was to bring out the torque meter at coffee time and invite people to "tighten fasteners by feel", most weren't even close. Nobody wants to hear that because it only applies to other people. :lol:

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:33 pm 

Shooter519 wrote:
thanks. can you post a link to the one you have? i see two different versions out there

This is the one I have;

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0012A ... =UTF8&th=1