Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:05 am 

would this set have everything i need for the external screws on an HW97k?

can someone confirm torque for each external screw on hw97k?

what is recommended torque for the scope screws both the rings and the mount?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/168463/w ... 10-bit-set

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:12 am 

You're overthink this. Just get a set of Allan keys (hex keys) and hand tighten the scope rings - one grunt torque. Actually, most scope rings come with the right hex key, just use it. Long end in the screw.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
You're overthink this. Just get a set of Allan keys (hex keys) and hand tighten the scope rings - one grunt torque. Actually, most scope rings come with the right hex key, just use it. Long end in the screw.

right and what about the external screws on the gun that can come loose? that was part of my original question. it has been suggested to use a torque screwdriver for those with loctite. how is it overthinking to get advice on which screwdriver?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:57 am 

Duke, you need to think about someone that doesn't have years of experience with a screwdriver in there hand. I don't use a torque tool either but I would not be able to describe to some what the perfect amount of pressure is.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:07 am 

McRobert wrote:
Duke, you need to think about someone that doesn't have years of experience with a screwdriver in there hand. I don't use a torque tool either but I would not be able to describe to some what the perfect amount of pressure is.

Robert

Agreed, I will stand down on this one as I only torque much bigger bolts and screws to spec and have really no clue what the torque should be on a M5 cap screw, let alone one lubricated with Loktite.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:22 am 

That set would be adequate but may not have the correct allen size. Seems expensive but that goes for everything these days. There are some on Amazon with many good reviews that are cheaper. My usual route.

****15-18 ft-lbs*** incorrect seems to be common consences. I'm certain once you get the feel for 15-18 ft-lbs you will no longer need the torque wrench. Definitely some piece of mind using one and you can never have too many tools right?

As per the following conversation, I made a unit error. The correct unit is in-lbs. Do not tighten to 15-18 ft-lbs. My apologies.

Last edited by jckstrthmghty on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:24 am 

This may help
https://www.fastenermart.com/files/metr ... orques.pdf
Just make sure you use the bit that fully engages the screw.
15-18 ft/lbs sounds way too high.but then I have an hw77 not the hw97

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:30 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
That set would be adequate but may not have the correct allen size. Seems expensive but that goes for everything these days. There are some on Amazon with many good reviews that are cheaper. My usual route.

15-18 ft-lbs seems to be common consences. I'm certain once you get the feel for 15-18 ft-lbs you will no longer need the torque wrench. Definitely some piece of mind using one and you can never have too many tools right?

15 - 18 ft-lbs would be way to much for a scope ring! Most scope manufacturers will list on their web site or in the documentation what the spec would be (generally in the inch-pounds not foot pounds. Very small screws and thin walled scopes. Same holds for the screws on gun (stock, etc).

For what it is worth that is the driver I have on hand bought it years ago for much less money but EVERYTHING in Canada is insane priced and especially anything firearm or firearm adjacent!
Dave

Gamo Magnum .22
Beeman QB Chief .22
Beeman AR2079A HPA .177
Beeman P17
Umerex Colt Commander
Artemis M11 MK2 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .25
Hill EC-3000 compressor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:32 am 

My apologies. in-lbs... not ft-lbs. Thanks for catching that. 15-18 in-lbs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:36 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

:D

Gamo Magnum .22
Beeman QB Chief .22
Beeman AR2079A HPA .177
Beeman P17
Umerex Colt Commander
Artemis M11 MK2 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .25
Hill EC-3000 compressor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:38 am 

5dotrz wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

:D

I would've felt pretty bad if someone torqued the scope bolts to 15+ ft-lbs. Once again thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:59 am 

Been mounting my own scopes since 1966, or thereabouts. Never had an in-pound torque wrench. What I do seems to work.
Heavy recoiling rifles (CF) need to be tight, but it seems, so do springer screws, tighter than for a .22LR per se'. Have I damaged
some scope tubes in the past - YES, but not many. I've big hands and decent strength & still have at 73yrs old. I get the job done
on scope and rifles screws.
I do use a torque wrench though but only since 2015, on my F350 - 165 ft. lbs. for wheel's lug nuts, not inch pounds. Easy-peasy.
My wife's Jeep gets 63 ft. pounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm 

here is what i gathered from a few sources:

scope ring screws: 16 inch pounds

scope base screws: 30 inch pounds

hw97k front stock screws: 22.1 inch pounds

hw97k rear trigger guard screw: 22.1 inch pounds

hw97k front trigger guard screw: 44.3 inch pounds

just need to decide on which screwdriver now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:31 pm 

e screws and stock screws should be torqued correctly. Working on my Tx200 rifles, I always use a Wheeler torque driver to tighten everything on the gun except the main fixture that holds the trigger unit into the end of the action; I just snug that one up with a small adjustable wrench.

The numbers from Shooter519 seem ok, except for the 44 inch pound for the front trigger guard screw. That seems extreme and maybe could lead to stock damage. I aquired a beautiful Macarri CS1000 stock that had cracked right near the front screw on the trigger guard due to someone over tightening and it lead to POI shifts. Luckily, I had a TX200SR that fastens differently and I was able to cut out the cracked part, drill a hole for the back mounting screw and inlet the stock to fit.

I have been mounting scopes for over 60 years, but when something comes along that is safer and more efficient, I am always willing to try it and to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:16 pm 

I have the Vortex torque driver for my scopes and like it. It comes with a calibration certification