Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:47 pm 

Why Should I Start Shooting Field Target?

This is a question match directors continually ponder. There are so many people that actively use airguns, so why are they hesitant to shoot field target (FT) when they have a club at a relatively close location?

My story may be typical of many that could, but so far chosen not to participate. Back in the 80s and 90s, I was hunting almost exclusively with airguns. I used a HW break barrel, topped with a Burris 1.5-5X and that rig was quite accurate. In the mid 90s, my buddy, Dennis, kept asking me if I wanted to go to field target matches with him. He shot at a club in Elmira, Canada and one outside of Buffalo, NY. For a couple of years, I continually made excuses for not attending. In hindsight, I was concerned that I would do poorly and embarrass myself. I ended up buying a Pro Sport in early 1998 and topped it with an 8-32 Bushnell. Finally, in the late summer of 1998, I finally agreed to go with Dennis to Elmira to attend a FT match.

When I arrived, I was definitely apprehensive. During sight in, I met a bunch of the crew from Elmira and started to relax some. After the shooters meeting, we headed out to the course and luckily, I was squadded with Dennis. I started out knocking down a target here and there and then started to miss everything, even the entire target. I was puzzled until I realized that my scope had been sliding back the whole time and was about to come completely off. Dennis had some tools in his shooting case and we moved the scope back into position and tightened it down.

I chased my zero for the rest of the time and hit a couple more targets near the end. So between my understandable nervousness and my scope adventure, I managed a 9/60 on my first attempt at FT. Many may have been very discouraged and embarrasses enough to call it quits right after the match. As funny as it seems, those nine targets that fell was my takeaway and I think my love for the sport had taken root. The people who seemed a little threatening at first, all turned out to be great people who all had their stories and were willing to share stories and advice freely. It was great fertilizer for the FT root that had already taken hold.

After the first match, I talked to Dennis about scope mounting and this time I used a mount with a stop and secured it well. I think I shot just over 50% at the next match, a vast improvement and another step toward being completely immersed in the sport. My scores continued to improve in the next couple of matches and far too quickly, the season was over.

In the offseason, I was looking into PCP rifles to compete with the following season. At the start of the 1999 season, Dennis allowed me to shoot his AA NJC100 topped with a Nightforce fixed 36X with a lighted reticle. To me, that was like being allowed to drive an Indy car. We sighted our guns in, with me being completely blows away at the accuracy of that rifle. I scored in the 50s out of sixty and that sealed the deal. I did acquire a Ripley AR5 later in the season that I used right into the 2000 season. The adventure with new guns as time went by is another story.

So my journey officially started in 1998, at 49 years old, and still continues today, close to 26 years later. I have met so many new friends and great people in FT and cannot help but think of what I would have missed out on if I had not taken the leap and attended that first match so many years ago. I am still learning and discovering ways to challenge myself and keep hitting targets as my years increase and my steadiness decreases.

So take the leap! If it is not for you, the first match is free at all Ontario FT clubs, so not much to lose. If you do not take the leap into something you could end up enjoying as much as I and many other have, then you may have lost a great deal. Food for thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:42 am 

Why I started shooting Field Target.

I received my first “Air Gun” when I was 6 years old - a pump springer that shot corks so that I could go pheasant hunting with my dad and his dogs. I later graduated to a Daisy pump BB gun (dad had a bias for pump actions (his was one of the early Winchester model 12’s with a nickel steel barrel) - I still have both of these guns. I had my first shotgun at age 17 and was a life time duck hunter on the shores of Lake Erie until lead shot was banned - I personally do not believe in steel shot.

I then purchased my “Dream Walleye Boat” which I had to sell at age 77 because of health issues, so I returned to my shooting roots and started looking at air guns again - what a surprise - the improvements in quality and technology astounded me. I then found a local 10 meter indoor airgun club that had shooting once a week during winter months and was introduced to both pistol and rifle 10 meter airgun shooting - lots of fun and I was shooting on a regular basis again.

I now decided I wanted a good quality air rifle for outdoor shooting in summer time and made the trip to AirGun Source in Peterborough where I met Travis. My original thoughts were for a Diana 48, but when Travis showed it to me I was not comfortable with the weight and did not like the side lever action. He then showed me a TX200 that I had never heard of before, and thought that it was the most beautiful air gun I had ever seen. However once again the weight scared me off. He then showed me the Diana 430L and I had my first airgun with a 3-9X40 AirMax scope on it.

I found my Diana 430L to be a great shooting gun but soon discovered a weakness - the breach seal. I had been warned of this problem by Hector of Connecticut Custom Airguns who is also a Diana representative. He sold me a new breech seal that he had designed that was better than OEM from Diana. I was not comfortable in installing this item on my own, so Hector introduced me to Ryan who lived in my area and Ryan agreed to proceed with installing the new part. During this procedure Ryan asked if I would be interested in joining him on an “informal Field Target “ shooting event with some friends. I soon realized most of these friends were regular shooters at the Grenville Club which made my attending events there a lot easier.

My original hesitation in getting involved with FT was not knowing all the rules for all the different divisions and fearing offending someone because of this lack of knowledge. I can assure anyone thinking of trying this sport to make the effort to come out and participate because everyone I have met has proven to be very helpful - everyone just enjoys shooting. My age (84) and physical ability continue to put limitations on my shooting but my “farm boy engineering” came up with a seating arrangement that works for me and is within the rules. As suggested by Tim & Dave I now shoot in the “Open Division” and am very happy being able to still participate.

On a side note, I finally had to scratch the itch that Travis gave me and have purchased a TX200HC with a 4-16X50 AirMax scope. I also put a 4-16X50 AirMax on my Diana - can’t let one have an advantage over the other - LOL!

If you are even just thinking of FT, make the effort to at least visit one of the 3 Clubs in Ontario during an event and introduce yourself - if you enjoy shooting you will not regret it.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:50 pm 

We are trying to increase interest in air gun shooting at our club, but it's a very slow process.

Maybe someone who is into FT will come to our range at some point and get us started?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:15 pm 

A few guys tried to get it started here a bunch of years ago, but it didn't catch on. We seem to have new interest, so
we'll have to see where it goes. The majority of air gun shooters here, are silhouette shooters who only do the airgun bit
for practice against the spring, summer and fall RF and CF sil. season.
Seems to me the local R&G club has a bunch of the targets.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:12 pm 

Daryl wrote:
A few guys tried to get it started here a bunch of years ago, but it didn't catch on. We seem to have new interest, so
we'll have to see where it goes. The majority of air gun shooters here, are silhouette shooters who only do the airgun bit

Drive down to Yale and give us some coaching. We might even spring for lunch.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:20 pm 

I got my first air rifle for Christmas and I'm planning to enter as many ft event that I can in the Ontario area come the 2024 I'm excited and scared at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:49 pm 

I think we out West are envious of the Easterners reading about your get together s is most inspiring? Many of us would love to show if such facilities existed near us. For me, I have to travel 3.5 to 4 hours which is doable but hardly reasonable to keep in practice. Having a get together with a few like minded individuals is one thing but, turning it into an actual field target event and opening it up to the public is another.

I found a quote of a fellow with his own land wanting to get something started in the Edmonton area and here is where it stopped.
Quote:
I was talking to the Edmonton Police about setting up a airgun club and the legalities involved.My head was spinning after they told me i need insurance-city permit for a range-need the pemission of the majority people living around me-have the range safety inspected.So the club thing is nill and void!!

There are many links in how to start such a venue but the rules and regulations are totally unreasonable. A quote from the Field Of Dreams is "If you build it he will come" is nothing more than just a dream. You guys established this many years ago and you need to know the gift you truly have to share your passion with others. I hope y'all can keep it going for many more years to come.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:10 pm 

Normk wrote:
Daryl wrote:

What a GREAT idea!!
Lets see, Yale, about 350 miles?, plus overnight lodging and fuel. Fuel, about $120.00 each way + lodging, hmmmm, $140.00?
$380.00 approx. out of pocket. Not bad!
For a free lunch, what a deal! See you soon,
or maybe not. :(
:D

Just asked my phone. PG to Yale = 611.8km. = 380.2 miles @ 20mph = 19.01gallons = 86.4 liters x $1.75 per lt = $151.20 each way for fuel
likely minimum. Yeah, love to do it, but just can't "see" this happening, however, you could easily drive to Maple Ridge and shoot FT with those boys.
BTW- I've never shot FT, but Gord has, with the Maple Ridge bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:21 pm 

Establishing a official Club is quite different from a bunch of airgunners getting together to shoot on a rural property.

All three clubs in the east are located at already established clubs with CFO approval for the ranges they have. So all the permissions, insurance, etc. was in place. What we did is create the FT course and designate the sight in areas, on the club's property, in a way that the CFO would approve the range.

If a bunch of airgunners get together on a significant acreage and do some fun shooting, I cannot see why the police would even be interested in that. If it is far enough away from neighbours, they would probably not even know it was going on. However, once the police are asked to approve things, they are probably obliged to do so. In the scheme of things, worrying about a bunch of guys shooting airguns in the woods has to rate very low on the priorities for police, probably something they would rather not put time into.

I have spoken to police officers, who were friends, and they suggest using common sense. Low profile, safe and out of sight will not draw attention or interest from police. If rural, it is probably a good idea to talk to your neighbours so they are not alarmed if they see someone carrying a gun case on your property.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:29 am 

Daryl wrote:
however, you could easily drive to Maple Ridge and shoot FT with those boys.
Yeah Norm, give it a shot. It’s actually at Mission so not terribly far for you. I’m just a few minutes closer, I went out a couple times. The last time there were five of us. We set up a bunch of drop target lanes and paper. The guys had score cards and had a little competition but I’m green and kept practicing. The part of the range we were on went out to 120yd so there was some good long distance shooting too. They insisted that I shoot their good rifles. It was a blast, great guys

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:41 pm 

I have been thinking about 2 different replies to this thread. As Tim said in his initial post - match directors are constantly thinking about how to attract new shooters.
It is easy to talk about how much fun it is to knock over steel targets, to challenge yourself, to learn new skills, to meet new people who share your hobby, to have fun competing (to whatever extent you enjoy), or just to have a reason to get off the couch and go do something.

I thought about all the reasons why I initially thought that I should NOT start shooting FT:

1. I am not a good enough shot / I do not want to look stupid.
- this was the biggest one for me. I had never done anything close to "competitive" shooting and I had been plinking by myself in my basement at a range of only 9 yards - I thought that the odds of me hitting a target at 20 or 30 yards was low, let alone all the way out to 55 yards! I was thinking that I am going to be standing there in front of a bunch of guys who are watching me miss wildly while waiting for me to get out of the way so that the competent shooters can take their turn...
Wow, was I wrong on this one! Not because I am an excellent shot, but because I had the crazy expectation that I needed to be one in order to participate. I found out that you do not stand in front of a group and shoot while everyone watches - you join up with 1 or 2 partners and shoot your lanes and usually do not see many other people shooting unless you intentionally go looking. I quickly learned that the shooters who put their hands up to shoot with new shooters are extremely supportive and spend the match cheering you on and are willing to offer as much advice and support as you want to hear. In my first match out of 60 shots I knocked down 13 targets and that was more than I expected (none of those knock-downs were over 25 yards away). I also completely missed 12 - mostly the longer shots, but a couple closer ones. No one came close to making me feel bad about my shooting even while I was amazed at the way my partner was regularly hitting a 1.5 inch kill zone when I could not even make contact with a 9 inch by 6 inch faceplate. After the match no one asked me about my score - just if I had fun! Now that I have been shooting FT for a couple years I enjoy some friendly chirping and trash talking with some of the guys that I know well - but only during practice - once a match starts everyone is cheering each other on.

2. I do not have the right equipment.
- I worried about this one as well since I started shooting with a $129 Crosman break-barrel with an inexpensive scope (and I had no idea how to work out holdovers or really what they even were). I did not want to invest in a bunch of expensive equipment especially when I did not know if I was going to enjoy this (refer back to my reason #1). I soon learned that I could rapidly improve my shooting by learning from others and learning how to practice - even with an inexpensive gun. I have seen some first timers show up with a non-PAL, off the shelf gun with open sights and they have had a great time. If you have a farm or a large property to shoot on - good for you!! (and can I come over??) - but otherwise where are you going to go and be able to try shooting your airgun at longer distances where people are actually encouraging you to do it? Bring what you got (as long as it is .177 (or .22 at HAHA or Port), pellets only (no slugs or bb's), and under 20 FPE). If you want to come out but do not have a suitable gun, send me a note - let's figure something out. What about the other stuff? a seat, a monopod, a fancy shooting jacket or glove.... - Don't need it. You are welcome to buddy with me and share my bucket/seat and monopod. The style that I shoot does not allow shooting jackets/gloves/straps.

3. It is too far to drive / I do not know where I am going.
- I used to get up early in the morning to drive to hockey rinks or golf courses far away and even farther to spend a day fishing or hunting. GPS will get you where you need to go and the match directors for every club are happy to share directions. I suggest that it is worth the investment of a few hours to try something that I am confident that you will like - and even if you don't fall head over heals for this, you will have a chance to try something new.

The calendar has turned over to 2024, the days are getting longer, I can't wait for the first matches of 2024.

As always, if anyone has any questions or interest in FT, drop me a note and let me try harder to get you to come try this sport.

Rob27
rob27portc@gmail.com
Match Director - Port Colborne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:58 pm 

Good post, Rob.
Your support is exactly the same as we now give and I received in the 3-position shooting I did back in the 70's as well as IPSC and in our current black powder shooting.
Same goes on Sundays now, when we shoot indoors air rifle. It's all good comradery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:44 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Normk wrote:
Daryl wrote:

What a GREAT idea!!
Lets see, Yale, about 350 miles?, plus overnight lodging and fuel. Fuel, about $120.00 each way + lodging, hmmmm, $140.00?
$380.00 approx. out of pocket. Not bad!
For a free lunch, what a deal! See you soon,
or maybe not. :(
:D

Just asked my phone. PG to Yale = 611.8km. = 380.2 miles @ 20mph = 19.01gallons = 86.4 liters x $1.75 per lt = $151.20 each way for fuel
likely minimum. Yeah, love to do it, but just can't "see" this happening, however, you could easily drive to Maple Ridge and shoot FT with those boys.

Maple Ridge is an hour+ of city traffic so not ideal. OTOH, it would be much less trouble for us for you to drive down. ;-)

I think some are or were shooting at Mission, so might have a look when weather improves. Not motivated to drive anywhere.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:11 pm 

Normk wrote:
Not motivated to drive anywhere.

I resemble that remark. :lol:
Takes me 2 hours to drive out to the lake, but within a few minutes of camp, there are thousands of acres of land to shoot on.
Looking at some now.
Everything you see in the background, along with everything left and right of the picture.

Attachments:
20230527_155057.jpg
20230527_155057.jpg [ 450.85 KiB | Viewed 1114 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:35 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Normk wrote:
Not motivated to drive anywhere.

I resemble that remark. :lol:
Takes me 2 hours to drive out to the lake, but within a few minutes of camp, there are thousands of acres of land to shoot on.
Looking at some now.
Everything you see in the background, along with everything left and right of the picture.

I thought that you'd have more snow than that.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22