Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Tuning PCP hammer spring
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:44 pm 

First time shooting the new 25 cal airacuda max. It was excellent. 44ft-lb energy. Single hole 5-shot group at 25 yd.

Trying to monkey with the hammer spring, expecting increasing MV with increased spring tension. Surprisingly MV actually decreased. Max MV happens at minimum hammer spring tension. Also the number of shots per fill is about 15, much less than the expected 25 to 30.

I think the hammer is already bouncing off the valve body at minimum hammer spring tension. Should I increase the valve return spring to balance?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima on Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:39 pm 

Seems to me, they come from the mfgr about maxed out. I would try reducing the regulator & chronographing,
then perhaps increasing the hammer spring tension slightly to get the speed back up. That should increase the
shot count. A balance is needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:08 pm 

I think it comes above maxed out. I may be able to find a weaker spring to replace the stock hammer spring. Will see. The low shot count is probably due to the "over gassing". The hammer bounces back and forth, opening the valve after the pellet has exited the muzzle.

One suggestion I saw online is to increase the hammer weight. It slows down the hammer without reducing its energy. I will give it a try after the weaker spring. I may be able to add damper (sheet of neoprene) to retard the bouncing.

-TL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 pm 

I didn't notice it till a few days ago. There is a 1/2" removable spacer in the hammer spring cap. I took it out and sure enough the MV dropped by 250fps at min. setting. When I advanced the setting, the MV went up. However I couldn't make the MV peak even with max setting. Now I get why they put the spacer there.

I put in a make-shift spacer with half the thickness back in there. Now I could see where it peaked. Backed down by half a turn and I called it done. With this "optimal" setting, I gained about 20 fps in MV, about 5 more shots per fill, and the gun sounded a bit quieter.

All good. The gun shoots quite well. With JSB Hades, one hole group at 50yd, 1.5" at 100yd, but no good beyond 125yd. I'm going use the spring setting to tune the group size.

-TL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:08 pm 

Sounds VERY good!