Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:32 pm 

Hey all, I'm new to the board, please see my introduction if you're so inclined. I'm looking to pick up my first gun in the next couple weeks. I'd like to find a Slavia 618, as that's the rifle I had as a kid, belonged to my dad before me but it ended up going to my uncle when my dad passed away. Unfortunately, that uncle is now deceased and I was told no one knows what happened to the rifle.

Anyways, I also have my eye on a Dan Wesson 715, as I'd like a rifle and a handgun. The 715 ticks a lot of the boxes for me, namely build quality, looks, and usage. I'll be plinking out in the countryside, mainly targets, maybe the odd can of lager.

Budget is about $300 max. I have two questions. 1) Is anyone here familiar with the 715 and are there good reasons for or against it? 2) What is the tactile/functionality difference, if any, between the bb version and the pellet version. Price seems to be the same for both.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:11 pm 

715 is a good replica revolver for sure!

I bought a pellet middle size (6inches barrel?!) many years ago. Also an original DW hard case for it...

It's a shame I shoot my replicas a lot less than before because I now mostly shoot in my basement and not showing any of my guns in the public (even just in the backyard) to avoid scare those innocent ppl...

So I do serious plinking and need accuracy more than anything else and replicas not have such accuracy that I need...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:13 pm 

And for the info you are looking for (also include just any information you are looking for anything else), just try to use our search feature in the forum... There are so much great info you will be discovering...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:23 pm 

YepYep wrote:
And for the info you are looking for (also include just any information you are looking for anything else), just try to use our search feature in the forum... There are so much great info you will be discovering...

Thank you for the feedback. I have definitely made good use of the search function. I wasn't sure if perhaps there was a difference between the older version and the latest, so I'm hoping for recent info, unless the models are the same, then it likely doesn't matter.

You mentioned replicas have lesser accuracy. Is that inherent across all models and due to focus being on aesthetics, or is it a result of older tech or something?

Being as my main usage will be target practice, accuracy matters. I want something that's going to facilitate my growth and accuracy the more I use it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:55 am 

hey cool hand luke. theres a slavia 618 down in the for sale section. good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 am 

Cool Hand wrote:
You mentioned replicas have lesser accuracy. Is that inherent across all models and due to focus being on aesthetics, or is it a result of older tech or something?

Being as my main usage will be target practice, accuracy matters. I want something that's going to facilitate my growth and accuracy the more I use it.

Morning Luke~. You are very welcome! :)

Yeah, the replicas are more focusing on the aesthetic and put the effort to replicate the features, size, weight, functions on the real steel which had a purpose but only aesthetic here on a replica.

So it become complicated but it's what it needs~ and for accuracy, true accuracy, which is on second priority.

However accuracy depends... You need to shoot at one hole from 10 yards, or hitting the soda can every time from 6 yards is enough are depends on the shooter~

#####
For the 715, I don't know if any difference on the "newer" model... Actually I doubt if they are still being made... :) maybe Google is your friend too?!

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:26 pm 

I have the 4" pellet version it is my favorite one. Can,t go wrong with one as your first purchase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:10 pm 

Nice choice for a first gun. If accuracy and targets are a prime concern, despite the fact that you probably already purchased your first baby, the Beeman P17, at sub 100$ is accurate and consistent because it shoots .177 pellets through a rifled barrel and is a single stroke pneumatic. You pump it, and shoot single shots. Very accurate and cheap. The Single Stroke Pneumatic (SSP) guns are as consistent as PCP guns. C02 guns are consistent if you don't shoot too fast. Just shoot one shot every couple of seconds, and that will help your accuracy because your propellant gas is consistent. If you shoot too fast with C02, your bb/pellet speed will drop.. and that means accuracy goes belly up.

Your choice however is a great choice and will certainly be perfect for plinking empties and backyard targets and such.

We all need to focus on our handling of guns and their sights to hit targets effectively, so you could be using a 30$ crap-ola bb gun to learn your sights.
.. but nobody can love a crap-ola.

My guess is that if you really like your gun, you'll be a bit more passionate about learning to shoot well with it. It's not patronizing, it's true. Love the gun and assume it's accurate = be mindful of the shots.

Now of course if you are a hardcore accuracy freak, then things aren't so pretty anymore and you need to get into match pistols. They aren't pretty at all and cost thousands. These are PCP guns and need pumps. It's a whole ball of wax away from having fun in the backyard. There are SSP options for match style pistols that aren't used in the Olympics but pretty awesome. These are the FAS 6004, Weihrauch HW 75 and others. These are CDN 500$-800$

The Beeman P17 at around 80$ is the gun that stands between all of that. Between lager can plinking and 10 meter Olympic shooting .. and at sub 100$

... but a nice revolver or semi-auto bb gun is a great way to start.

Your choice is fine.

Jump in.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 pm 

iratecaller wrote:

My guess is that if you really like your gun, you'll be a bit more passionate about learning to shoot well with it.

That's true! At least you can get fun them you will be more passionate and then you will love this hobby more then you will continue and get more fun.....

This is such a beautiful circle of life~

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:31 pm 

I too have a Dan Wesson revolver with the long barrel. It has an aftermarket rifle stock, similar to the one optioned with the original powder burner revolver. Mine has a smooth bore, designed for BB's but... believe it or not, the revolver shoots GREAT and ACCURATELY with the appropriate pellet 'cartridges' even tho it has no rifling. I've shot about 500-600 BBs thru it with no issues and about 150-200 pellets and again, without issues.

Altho the revolver is quite fun and accurate, the rifle stock is probably the main reason why it survived the most recent 'arsenal purges' where i deliberately downsized my addiction to air guns. It has that extra something... it's a tactical revolver akin to a Manurhin MR73 or something similar.

I whish loading pellets wouldn't be that time consuming but hey, i guess it's all about the journey and the friends we make along the way so... no rush...

Attachments:
rsz_20240327_220550.jpg
rsz_20240327_220550.jpg [ 62.97 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:10 pm 

I love the stock on that thing. I have an ASG 8" Wesson and that thing is very accurate too. Non blowback replicas are also fairly accurate. Blowback is another story. Depends how far you want to shoot. Some replicas are quite accurate for what they are. Most recently my crosman r1 impressed the hell out of me with its accuracy.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:58 pm 

I really love my tactical rifle stock for that long of a barrelled revolver... One thing i would ABSOLUTELY love more than anything related to it would be to find a local woodworker that has time and a bit of a drive for new projects - retired oldfart or handiquack like me - in order to replicate this plastic/rubber stock in wood.

Plain stock, hollowed out for some weight reduction/balance and to create a practical storage space for extra co2's, unused extra shells, oil, crackers, kindling, quick-set concrete mix bags, off season winter tires, paddleboard and required life jacket/paddle,towel,wetsuit, black law's dictionary and above all - call me crazy but i like my comfort - that new vibrating/massaging and therapeutic king sized mattress and bed frame i recently purchased at Luis Vuitton.

In all seriousness, id' like to see a laminates plywood one as welll