Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:01 pm 

https://canadafreepress.com/article/mon ... ail-online

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:46 am 

And you wonder why every thing has gone to sh--

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:18 pm 

I've watched more than a few of these thefts, on U-tube. It's really interesting when someone (USA) comes out of the house with an AR-type rifle. Actually it's quite funny.
None have been shot as deserved (that I've seen), but the "stop/turn-around and re-placing the package carefully on the porch" is quite funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:14 pm 

From the article, this quote is total BS. LOL

Quote:
"You cannot post the images yourself because you have to remember, in Canada, we have a presumption of innocence and posting that picture could be a violation of private life," said SQ communications officer Lt. Benoit Richard.

Someone steals my stuff, I will expose them and call the police!
What the officer should have said was that posting or exposing someone online COULD lead to them coming back to retaliate such as smashing windows etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 am 

From the article, this quote is total BS. LOL

Quote:
"You cannot post the images yourself because you have to remember, in Canada, we have a presumption of innocence and posting that picture could be a violation of private life," said SQ communications officer Lt. Benoit Richard.

Someone steals my stuff, I will expose them and call the police!
What the officer should have said was that posting or exposing someone online COULD lead to them coming back to retaliate such as smashing windows etc.

Ab And then we can beat the litter out of them right LOL Na I will do it the first time and just skip the 2nd time
What is needed is cost to the crimes not a slap on the hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:34 pm 

Gently boys 'n girls. :wink:
As I see it, the thief has forfeited ALL of his rights, when he entered onto your property and steals from you.
He had just proved his is guilty simply by perpetrating the crime - no 'trial' needed, imo.
Some States in the Union hold that that crime is punishable by much more than a slap,punch or kick anywhere.
Castle laws do exist in some localities and not just in Texas. Kennesaw Georgia is one such city where ALL law abiding citizens
are required to own firearms for their own and their neighbour's protection. That law as passed back in the 80's & it's current
condition, I do not know.
Just Googled it:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/06/us/kenne ... index.html

" “If you’re going to commit a crime in Kennesaw and you’re the criminal – are you going to take a chance that that homeowner is a law-abiding citizen?” asked Kennesaw Mayor Derek Easterling.

Wayne Arnold is one of those citizens. Among the weapons he keeps at home are an AR-15-style .223 caliber rifle, a variety of handguns and more.

“It gives me the ability to protect myself as opposed to being somewhere where you weren’t allowed to have a firearm or it was frowned upon,” said Arnold."

Of course, should be noted that the rules here are not the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:12 pm 

Similar story here many years ago in Toronto downtown China town, a thief grabbed something from a small super market and the owner chased out.... At last the thief had nothing but the owner got charged. And that's not the first time the same thief stole goods from the super market.

In my hometown if the thief dare to do such a thing, he must be beaten to half dead by the whole neighborhood before handed to the police.

It's rediculous for the victim got charged for protecting themselves BECAUSE the government failed to do the job!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:22 pm 

JessiWan wrote:
Daryl wrote:
As I see it, the thief has forfeited ALL of his rights, when he entered onto your property and steals from you.

I wish that was how the laws work but it's not. I read a news story where, a robber came into a store with a baseball bat demanding money, the store clerk grabbed hold of the bat and beat the robber and chased him off. The store clerk should be lauded as a hero, right? Nope. He got charged with aggravated assault. Our justice system is a joke.

The reason he was charged (I watched Ian Runkle's video about it) was because he didn't just chase off the robber (after already fending him off), he chased the robber after he had already fled the scene, and then proceeded to beat him with the bat causing brain injuries. At that point the robber was no longer a threat to him, and so it was no longer self-defense. Even Ian Runkle says that while he will not get the maximum 14 years the charges will stand, as they should in my opinion.

Some people seem to not understand the difference between self-defense and vengeance.

There are many other cases that can be used as examples of our justice system being a joke, however, this one is not one of them.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:26 pm 

I do not know what the "law" reads now, but it (protection from common assault) section 25 of the Criminal Code of Canada read:
"(a person) may use as much force as is necessary to prevent the continuation of the offense". Thus, once the offense is concluded/
finished/stopped, more force is not needed, thus afterwards comes into the equation, such charges of excessive force. The judge
must take into consideration, what he believes the "average" person would do under these situations as to how much force is used.
To protect yourself or business against theft, is all up in the air how much force may be used. Some might argue, that theft is an assault
and indeed, it is. Thus, the findings, as per Ian Runkle, I assume.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:11 pm 

To clarify further on what happened.

The timeline of events basically went like this:

- Robber walks into the store

- Robber attempts to rob the store, ends up using force.

- Employee defends himself from attack

- Employee is successful in doing so, so much that the robber flees the scene and runs away from the store.

Up until this point, the employee was golden.

Where the employee screwed themselves is the following.

- Employee follows the robber out of the store chasing him.

- Employee beats robber with the bat, to the point of causing serious injury.

"Aggravated Assault" actually means assault that causes grave injury, it is not "angry assault" so it's actually more serious than just "assault".

I think it's going to be incredibly difficult for the employee or their lawyer to successfully argue that the employee needed to do that to defend themselves, especially considering they already defended themselves causing the robber to flee.

Now as per Ian Runkle, yes he is not going to get anything near a maximum sentence, but at least this case will serve as an example that just calling something "self-defense" doesn't mean it was actually self-defense.

Of course when a situation like this is actually going down, there is fear, and adrenaline is pumping, etc, it's not easy to think clearly or if you really needed to do everything you do, so it will be interesting to see how harsh or how lenient the sentencing is for this case, because the fact that he is guilty of the charges is already an open and shut case.

Hopefully people will learn from this case, and those that do will not make similar mistakes, if they are ever in a similar scenario.

Ultimately, why I say this case is not a good example of how our justice system sucks, is because it is not a completely pure cut and dry case of obvious complete and total self-defense, while there are others that are.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

Last edited by Twiggy on Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:52 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
To clarify further on what happened.

The timeline of events basically went like this:

- Robber walks into the store

- Robber attempts to rob the store, ends up using force.

- Employee defends himself from attack

- Employee is successful in doing so, so much that the robber flees the scene and runs away from the store.

Up until this point, the employee was golden.

Where the employee screwed themselves is the following.

- Employee follows the robber out of the store chasing him.

- Employee beats robber with the bat, to the point of causing serious injury.

"Aggravated Assault" actually means assault that causes grave injury, it is not "angry assault" so it's actually more serious than just "assault".

I think it's going to be incredibly difficult for the employee or their lawyer to successfully argue that the employee needed to do that to defend themselves, especially considering they already defended themselves causing the robber to flee.

Now as per Ian Runkle, yes he is not going to get anything near a maximum sentence, but at least this case will serve as an example that just calling something "self-defense" doesn't mean it was actually self-defense.

Of course when a situation like this is actually going down, there is fear, and adrenaline is pumping, etc, it's not easy to think clearly or if you really needed to do everything you do, so it will be interesting to see how harsh or how lenient the sentencing is for this case, because the fact that he is guilty of the charges is already an open and shut case.

Ultimately, why I say this case is not a good example of how our justice system sucks, is because it is not a completely pure cut and dry case of obvious complete and total self-defense, while there are others that are.
do you have a link to this story ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:58 pm 

All of all has to be judged by the judge at last.... It's a complicated case for sure... And the employee did go too far to cause the serious injury on the thief.

But I don't agree the first stage could be called an end when the thief fled and left the store. If I were the employee I would ask myself whether the guy would come back just half an hour or in night and set a fire to burn my store? To make sure not such a thing could happen I will try to catch the guy and pass him to police or send into hospital.

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:08 pm 

lauchlin wrote:

I have Runkle's video here, where he explains it, according to the service call details, at the beginning of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1y0SFn ... fTheBailey

"The law says you can't chase him and give him a couple of extra hits, especially if those extra hits put him in the hospital". (4:54).

The rest of the video is expanding upon his opinion and view on this area of the law, but he's clear on what the law itself is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:42 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

I have Runkle's video here, where he explains it, according to the service call details, at the beginning of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1y0SFn ... fTheBailey

"The law says you can't chase him and give him a couple of extra hits, especially if those extra hits put him in the hospital". (4:54).

The rest of the video is expanding upon his opinion and view on this area of the law, but he's clear on what the law itself is.

Perfect .... 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:17 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Similar story here many years ago in Toronto downtown China town, a thief grabbed something from a small super market and the owner chased out.... At last the thief had nothing but the owner got charged. And that's not the first time the same thief stole goods from the super market.

In my hometown if the thief dare to do such a thing, he must be beaten to half dead by the whole neighborhood before handed to the police.

It's rediculous for the victim got charged for protecting themselves BECAUSE the government failed to do the job!
Thanks for Google just keeps everything happened on the Internet... Here's a link to the story which happened long ago in 2009/2010 in downtown Toronto.

Store owner and the two co-worker were charged by the police who came lated to the scene after everything got settled down and the thief under controlled for kidnapping (the thief got caught and been controlled in the store, with assault weapon (a box cutter)... At last the judge said "you are free to go." :thumbs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.931466

On the other hand, the thieft pleaded guilty earlier was sent to the jail for 30 days.

###
On one hand I understand and support the police officers who still working hard when government keep cutting budgets and man power...

But I really hate to see the cost of being a bad guy just too low and like nothing which highly encourage the thefts and criminals. Seeing those guys just came in the store and took anything they like and walk away without any punishment just sucks!

~Target~