Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:40 pm 

The way the gun laws run even in the States, only law abiding citizens can own firearms. That is why they have back-ground checks - but unlike in Canada where if you have the Federal License you can buy as many and as often as you want, in the USA, with every firearm they purchase, there is an FBI background check. Steven Crowder tried to buy firearms at gun shows in Michigan and Indiana & no one would sell him a gun without a background check, same with all the city gun store businesses he tried.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:51 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The way the gun laws run even in the States, only law abiding citizens can own firearms. That is why they have back-ground checks - but unlike in Canada where if you have the Federal License you can buy as many and as often as you want, in the USA, with every firearm they purchase, there is an FBI background check. Steven Crowder tried to buy firearms at gun shows in Michigan and Indiana & no one would sell him a gun without a background check, same with all the city gun store businesses he tried.

That is true. In the case of the Parkland shooting, I remember that there was some sort of FBI screw up where the shooter should've had a prohibition, but it wasn't ordered for some reason.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:54 am 

Daryl wrote:
ALL citizens of ANY country should have the right to possess firearms, for their own defense and for the defense of their country,
from tyranny from outside their country and from tyranny within their country.

Absolutely agree.

Canada really should have something similar to the US' second amendment. In fact, I would be open to the idea of eligible young men all being required to take firearm lessons similar to the policies in some European countries. I think it's Belgium?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:08 pm 

JessiWan wrote:
Daryl wrote:
In fact, I would be open to the idea of eligible young men all being required to take firearm lessons similar to the policies in some European countries. I think it's Belgium?

Why just men, I mean this is 2024 after all, not 1950. Women with the right training can put up a fight as well, there's obvious stronger and more trained woman in combat sports out there that could beat the crap out of an average man, and in the case of firearms that's even more of an equalizer anyways.

My second objection is that that'd be essentially forcing people to do yet another thing against their will, if the training is offered by choice then they can choose freely which is one thing, but "being required" is just a more innocent way of saying "forced to".

I would rather change it to:

"Firearms training should be offered and free to all young people regardless of gender, who wish to take it".

That would both be not sexist, and not imply force.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:29 pm 

Switzerland requires all young men at "some" age between 18 and 20 (might be 19?) to joint the army for 1 year.
Friends of mine where I gopher shoot just a few hours South of here and being dual citizenship, Swiss and Canadian, had their sons do their 'time" in the Swiss
military. Here, their school chums called them the Swiss boys, while over there in Switzerland, they were those Canadians, and "can they ever shoot".
They grew up shooting gophers. First met them in 1996 when my wife and girls and I were there at their farm shooting gophers with our long bows. It was an archery
tournament/gopher shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:46 pm 

My father any my uncle did their mandatory participation in the People's Republic of Poland's military, during the communist era. From what I have been told, my uncle was actually in the paratrooper division.