Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:40 pm 

I have a UTG BugBuster 3-9AO on my PP750 and want it as low as possible for compactness and to reduce sighting difference at distances.

My face is quite wide which increased the difficulty in getting my eye low enough to align with the scope.

In an attempt to reduce the misalignment, I filed a pair of detent notches to shorten the stock, allowing me to roll my face over to better align my eye to the scope, but not ideal.

The solution for me was to remove the butt plate, slip the rubber butt cover from the plate, and to fabricate an "X" shaped plate to fit into the butt plate. A 5 mm threaded hole allows the thumb screw to secure the butt plate much lower down. Problem solved.

A piece of 1/8" aluminum plate, rat tail file, snips, drill, and tap wear all the tools required.

It is such a simple solution that I almost hate to offer but may be useful to someone.

Apologies that I have not managed to figure out how to attach photos, but will leave some at this link for a while.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/yfkr9aqc ... 2gtx6&dl=0

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:42 pm 

Wow that's nice looking, and practical, You do good work!
I took the liberty to attach pics for ease and convenience.

Attachments:
Norm 2.jpg
Norm 2.jpg [ 150.55 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]
Norm 1.jpg
Norm 1.jpg [ 238.64 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]
Norm 3.jpg
Norm 3.jpg [ 181.1 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:19 pm 

The Artemis PP750 is such a neat platform for tinkering. It's like the new generation of 2240, updated for the PCP era. A finely made but still reasonably priced airgun which can go in any number of directions, as demonstrated by a bunch of threads in different forums over the last three years.

Nice work getting your stock to work with your preferred setup. I certainly appreciate the desire for a low scope, especially for close up work, like back yard pesting. My Brocock Atomic and Crosman 2260 are both set up that way, with 4x scopes on the lowest practical mounts. Makes for relatively smaller holdovers inside 15 yards or so. But with my Artemis, I chose a little 3.5x prism scope - a great find on Amazon for $75, shipped. Thing has surprisingly distortion-free and clear glass for such a cheap thing. The mount is tall at 2.36" from centre bore to centre optic. So I'll have to live with 0.75" of holdover at 10 yards, as adjusting for such a close zero would make shots further out challenging with hold-under.

I did this little mod to the stock's aluminum and plastic buttplate. It frustrated me that if I wanted to leave a magazine in the slot, I had to cock the gun. Of course I could de-cock by holding the lever, releasing the trigger, and easing the lever back down... but then I've got a pellet in the chamber, and if I want to take a shot I need to cock again, advancing the magazine, and chambering a second pellet. No good.

So I opted for having a magazine on the airgun, but not mounted for shooting. Instead it's in a recess I drilled and carve from the aluminum and bit of plastic sliding plate below, then filled with JB Weld, using masking tape and a paste wax for release compound on a magazine to form the epoxy. After waiting overnight for curing I eased out the magazine - my blend of beeswax and mineral oil is very slippery, something used for lubricating zippers on musical instrument cases, and threaded adjusters on instrument bows - and trimmed the edges of the opening. Not exactly fine work, but it does the job. I put a neodymium magnet on the magazine before pushing it in, so that's there to retain the mag while carrying the pistol but allows easy removal.

I also got rid of the huge knurled steel knob for adjusting the buttplate. I like the rubber centred and won't be needing to adjust that, so I dug through parts and found a matching bolt with a shallow rounded head and used that to tighten up the plate before all the above carving. The knob was cutting into the anodizing under the ducktail of the grip, left a small scratched area when closing the stock. With a simple bolt the stock closes an extra 1/2", and there's still plenty of room for the stowed magazine.

Attachments:
Artemis_magazine_port_clearance.jpg
Artemis_magazine_port_clearance.jpg [ 159.42 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]
Artemis_magazine_in_port.jpg
Artemis_magazine_in_port.jpg [ 75.25 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]
Artemis_magazine_port.jpg
Artemis_magazine_port.jpg [ 112.11 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:49 pm 

I just luv my PP750.....Nice work guys! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:58 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Wow that's nice looking, and practical, You do good work!
I took the liberty to attach pics for ease and convenience.

Thank-you.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:03 am 

Great idea for the magazine holder. I may try to duplicate that.

GerardSamija wrote:
The Artemis PP750 is such a neat platform for tinkering. It's like the new generation of 2240, updated for the PCP era. A finely made but still reasonably priced airgun which can go in any number of directions, as demonstrated by a bunch of threads in different forums over the last three years.

Nice work getting your stock to work with your preferred setup. I certainly appreciate the desire for a low scope, especially for close up work, like back yard pesting. My Brocock Atomic and Crosman 2260 are both set up that way, with 4x scopes on the lowest practical mounts. Makes for relatively smaller holdovers inside 15 yards or so. But with my Artemis, I chose a little 3.5x prism scope - a great find on Amazon for $75, shipped. Thing has surprisingly distortion-free and clear glass for such a cheap thing. The mount is tall at 2.36" from centre bore to centre optic. So I'll have to live with 0.75" of holdover at 10 yards, as adjusting for such a close zero would make shots further out challenging with hold-under.

I did this little mod to the stock's aluminum and plastic buttplate. It frustrated me that if I wanted to leave a magazine in the slot, I had to cock the gun. Of course I could de-cock by holding the lever, releasing the trigger, and easing the lever back down... but then I've got a pellet in the chamber, and if I want to take a shot I need to cock again, advancing the magazine, and chambering a second pellet. No good.

So I opted for having a magazine on the airgun, but not mounted for shooting. Instead it's in a recess I drilled and carve from the aluminum and bit of plastic sliding plate below, then filled with JB Weld, using masking tape and a paste wax for release compound on a magazine to form the epoxy. After waiting overnight for curing I eased out the magazine - my blend of beeswax and mineral oil is very slippery, something used for lubricating zippers on musical instrument cases, and threaded adjusters on instrument bows - and trimmed the edges of the opening. Not exactly fine work, but it does the job. I put a neodymium magnet on the magazine before pushing it in, so that's there to retain the mag while carrying the pistol but allows easy removal.

I also got rid of the huge knurled steel knob for adjusting the buttplate. I like the rubber centred and won't be needing to adjust that, so I dug through parts and found a matching bolt with a shallow rounded head and used that to tighten up the plate before all the above carving. The knob was cutting into the anodizing under the ducktail of the grip, left a small scratched area when closing the stock. With a simple bolt the stock closes an extra 1/2", and there's still plenty of room for the stowed magazine.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:16 am 

[quote="Normk"]Great idea for the magazine holder. I may try to duplicate that.

I used a spade bit to bore out the aluminum to within about 1mm of finished diameter, after drilling the centre with a 1/8" bit for the spade bit point. Not the prettiest drilling job, though of course I had the the plate firmly mounted in a padded vise. Once the rough hole was bored, I went to the Dremel and a couple of carving burrs to bring it out to the line I'd scratched into the aluminum anodizing around the magazine.

Running into the plastic layer was messy. It's largely hollow. Things kind of fold as much as they carve there. But I went slowly and worked down, did some of the carving out to the pointy tip of the hole using a wood chisel to slice off thin layers of plastic down to the lines. The JB Weld filled it all nicely. I considered using Sugru silicone putty too, but the stuff costs more than JB Weld steel-filled epoxy. Still, if I were to do it again I might go with that instead, as Sugru can leave a very nice finish if worked carefully.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:05 pm 

I don't have a 750, but do have a 700. They are great shooting guns.