Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:29 pm 

Hi all. I am hoping to participate in field target with the port club this year. I actually live in Port Colborne, so I signed up as a member of the conservation club and should have access to the field to practice fairly regularly when the weather warms up.

I have only ever shot crappy little plinkers as a kid, years ago.

I do not have a PAL so I am looking at sub 500 FPS air rifles. I am looking at .22 calibers because I have some interest in potentially squirrel or grouse hunting, but I'm not 100% certain on that. The main goal is plinking and field target.

I talked with Wes at Airgun Archery Fun, he seems quite the gentleman. He recommended the Beeman AR2079 for a .22 caliber. It looks like a decent buy, and it's fairly cheap, so I would have some budget to buy a scope in the coming months.

Does anyone have experience using this air rifle and care to share their thoughts?

Also feel free to share any other advice on field target. I am all ears. Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:11 am 

Welcome zippy!
I am the match director for FT matches at Port Colborne. I am delighted to hear that you will be joining us!
If you browse through the Field Target board you will see a bunch of discussion on FT.

zippy wrote:
I do not have a PAL so I am looking at sub 500 FPS air rifles. I am looking at .22 calibers because I have some interest in potentially squirrel or grouse hunting, but I'm not 100% certain on that. The main goal is plinking and field target.

I talked with Wes at Airgun Archery Fun, he seems quite the gentleman. He recommended the Beeman AR2079 for a .22 caliber. It looks like a decent buy, and it's fairly cheap, so I would have some budget to buy a scope in the coming months.

I am not a "PCP guy" so I will let our many PCP experts weigh in on that rifle. I can definitely say that Wes is great to deal with.

There is a lot of debate and opinion about .22 vs .177 - especially when getting into hunting. The FT club at Grenville also is limited to .177 only so if you are thinking of travelling to Grenville (which is a great club and I highly recommend the trip whenever you can) you will need a .177

If you are like most people this will become a passion and a year from now you may look back with a grin when you think of your "starter gun"... but lots of time for that. If you are considering getting your PAL it opens up a huge range of guns that can make it easier to hit targets out at our longer yardages, but either way you will have a great time shooting FT.

If you want to talk directly you can send me an email at rob27portc@gmail.com and we can connect.

I look forward to meeting you at the club in a few short months!
Rob27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:32 am 

I don't do FT so can't comment on the rules or requirement, except that I believe some targets are out to 50 yds which is a very long stretch for non-PAL rifle. In .177 it may not have the retained energy to register a hit even if you could get a pellet on it. I believe a scope would be essential.
I can comment on the AR2079 and it would be an OK unit and cheap to get started. First off, it accepts a regulated HPA bottle that is easy to hand pump, so you are right away into PCP shooting for under $400. Later if you get a PAL, you can tune this to shoot 12 fpe without much fiddling and then you're off to the races, errrr FT match. Likely you could add a Discovery basic 4-12x40 AO scope for around $150 - no need for springer rated scopes on the PCP rifles.
Nowadays, .177 non pal QB78 family seem to be scarce, but there are probably many on the used market and many gathering dust because so many newer mult-shot platforms exist. For non-PAL, my preference is to go for .22 cal, it offers the best of economy and knockdown power.
But, there are many alternatives to the AR2079 so maybe consider long term what your requirements are. My biggest beef with 2079 (and all QB78 family) is the lack of a multi-shot magazine. The aftermarket ones are generally very unsatisfactory. The Artemis/Snowpeak CO2 and PCP line up is far more gun for the money IMO, even if you end up forking out $100 more up front they are much much more capable. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:54 pm 

Hey Rob and Duke.

Thank you for the welcome. It's good to hear from you Rob, I look forward to meeting you when the weather warms up.

I hear you both on the PAL. It opens up a lot of options and I expect long distance shots sub 500 fps are really tough. I'm considering pursuing the PAL in the future, for now I'd like to get out there on a bit of a budget, see what I like and don't like, and then assess.

Like you both said, I'm sure after a year I'll be considering a replacement to a starter gun. It sounds like the 2079 would work for the time being and at least get me out and shooting.

I'm looking forward to having an outlet to get outside and have some friendly, low intensity competition. I swung by the Port club yesterday to watch their trap and skeet. Looks very fun. I'm not sure if I am cut out for the snap-reflexes and laser focus to hit a moving target though.

I like the idea of sitting down and dialing in on a small target in the relative quiet...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:30 pm 

I don't shoot FT either, but will note, that a .22 calibre non-pal rifle will have greater trajectory than a .177, normally, but only if the FPE is the same.
If the FPS is the same, the .22 has the potential to shoot flatter, due to higher BC of it's heavier pellets. Of course the .22 would make a better hunting
calibre. I lived in South Western Ontario for my first, almost 21 years. I spent every minute I could, in the bush, after about age 8 or 9. I NEVER saw a
grouse sitting on the forest floor. Every grouse I saw, was flying away from me and a shotgun was necessary to bag them. Same with timberdoodles.
We also used shotguns for cottontail bunnies, but did use .22's for the big European Hares.
Squirrels and birds were the targets for me, with my bro's Salvia .177. Once borrowed a school mates "high powered" .177 German rifle. Now THAT was a
squirrel killer. I think it was an RWS.
One thing about a non-P.A.L. PCP rifle, it should be adjustable enough to produce very close to 500fps in either calibre and thus a .22 would likely be best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:29 pm 

For non-pal and on a budget, the rifle suggested, as long as it is pcp, would be fine. PCP so that it is not temperature sensitive; early Spring and Fall matches can start out quite cool and CO2 would perform very poorly. A .22 just under 500 fps would certainly have a lot more knock down power than .177. I have had a number of multi-shot rifles, but have always shot them with a single shot adapter for field target. Single shot is the most prefered in FT.

If you live in Port, my old hometown, then going with this rifle and shooting just in your own area is probably what you will do for the first season anyway. After that, you can decide if you are happy to stay that way or if you want to get a pal and upgrade equipment. Good luck on whatever you decide. I hope to run into you at a match this coming season.

Just make sure you get a rifle and scope and get out to the matches at Port. You will learn more at one match than you will reading a large number of posts. You will meet some great people at Port, including, Rob, who posted above.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:37 pm 

I’d be buying a rifle for an intended purpose. If field target is your game, then get something that fits into the needs of that discipline. Being a bow hunter I always used a good slingshot with 1/2” marbles for grouse, works like charm and if you miss shoot again. If we put to much responsibility into anyone tool, we are completely screwed when it breaks down.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:16 am 

Well I finally put in an order for the AR2079, life got away from me for a while. Hoping to get out and shoot often now that the snow has melted and daylight is longer. I'm sure I'll be asking for all kinds of advice very soon! Excited to get started