Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:08 pm 

The Covid Clinics – Part 2 – Kneeling

Kneeling may be the most physically demanding position for the body to get into. Anyone with back, knee, hip or ankle issues, may find the kneeling position quite awkward and possibly downright painful. I would recommend doing flexibility exercises for your knees to get to the point where kneeling does not cause any joint pain. For those that are able to assume a kneeling position for shooting, because they are naturally able to do it or they have worked to achieve the ability, this is an endeavor to point out the basics that will lead to the discovery of your most comfortable and accurate way of shooting these challenging shots. Of course, the reality is, that some people will simply be unable to do kneeling shots. If in a class that requires discipline shots, the kneeling lane must be shot standing. However, in Canada, our Open Division does not require kneeling or standing shots, so all shots can be taken from your prefered position.

Any kneeling position must involve three points of balance. If you are right handed, the left leg will be your front leg and only the bottom of the foot can touch the ground. Your right leg will be bent and only the right knee and vertically oriented back foot can touch the ground. Not compulsory, but your right knee can be protected from the ground with a thin pad and the right instep can be supported with a kneeling roll that is no larger than 18 cm in diameter. So basically, one foot ahead and flat on the ground, the back leg with the knee on the ground and the toes of the vertical back foot on the ground. Just reverse direction if left handed. This is just the base.

The front hand must support the gun without aid of the knee or hamster on the gun, with the wrist able to move freely. Your front arm may rest on the knee or thigh, providing that the hand is free to move at the wrist as described above. The more support you can get from that front knee and thigh, the better. The trigger hand holds the grip and pulls the trigger. The gun can be pulled into the back shoulder and this arm may not be supported in any way. A legal shooting sling can be used if one prefers it.

At this point, you will begin trying different kneeling postures, similar to what is done for sitting. Are you going to stay very compact and vertical, spread the position a little or go quite wide? One constant should be that the gun is supported over your center of balance. Having the gun too far left, right, front or back will result in imbalance that requires the muscles to hold it steady; that is never a good idea. Do you like your back arm close to the body or out on an angle away from the body? Do you want your front hand very close to the trigger or do you want it well out front on the front of the stock? I have seen both used very effectively and all the variation in between. With experimentation, your body and the crosshairs will tell you what combination is best for you.

By all means, look at the positions of successful shooters to see what works for them. I have seen videos with compelling arguments for both a tight, close position and a wide, spread out position. Best of all, both of these shooters are very successful at kneeling shots. Some keep their backs very straight and others lean well forward or back. At the extremes or somewhere in between, you will find your preferred position. There is no real magic involved, just the patience and perseverance to continue until you succeed. Even then, you will find a small tweak from time to time that will get you that extra point or two that can make all the difference.

If all else fails, you are in the perfect position to ask for divine intervention. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:39 am 

Another very informative post Tim - thanks for sharing.

At my age (84) this position is not possible for me which is why I am so thankful for having the "Open Division" It allows me to keep participating/shooting.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:59 am 

When I shot 3-position with a CF rifle, in the kneeling position we used a roll (usually a roll of carpet material) about 12" long and 8 to 10" in diameter to rest the instep of the right foot on for comfort. We also used a sling on the rifle, usually an Anschutz sling with a glove or mitt that rests against the hand-stop on the bottom of the forend. It was common to shoot 96's to 98's on the standard 100yard target, from the kneeling position.
I don't know if slings are allowed in air gun field target shooting. Maybe not?

Attachments:
Anschutz Sling, handstop nd mitts.JPG
Anschutz Sling, handstop nd mitts.JPG [ 555.76 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:30 pm 

Book (forgot the title) I read suggested offhand and kneeling are the most useful field positions. I keep prone and skip sitting.

For kneeling, no roll as I won't have it in the field. Right ankle straightens out with its whole back on the ground. I sit on the heel. No slinging or tight robot suit either.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:01 pm 

In field target, the back foot must be vertical. You can have your toes curled under or extended, but you cannot have the foot flat on the ground and sitting on it, because that would be sitting. We are allowed to use a kneeling roll, not to exceed 18 cm, for under the instep. A sling can be used as well. I realize that for hunting or non-regulated shooting, you just take the position that works best, but since this is the FT section, I'll write within the rules of that discipline.

In the WFTF Division, most shooters wear a shooting jacket and for discipline shots and many wear a shooting glove. You can be a purist and not use these items, but it does put you at a disadvantage to those using them. FT use to be a hunting simulation game back when it started, but certainly has changed into a precision shooting game now. There are aspects of hunting and it will make you a better shot when hunting, but hunting simulation it is not. If you attend a world match or look at the pictures of rigs at the matches, you will realize that these guns do not go out hunting.

There have been grumblings about WFTF and Open shooters, stating they cannot really shoot without all their gadgets, but at the annual Fudd, all hunter match that takes away all the gadgets, you will often find that many of the top shooters are the same guys winning in WFTF and in Open. Almost all FT shooters, in Canada, started out in the Hunter Division, something I have encouraged. Some stay right there since they enjoy it so much and it is closer to the way they would hunt. Others move on (Please notice I did not say"up") to Open and WFTF, mostly because they want more precision and want to be able to compete internationally.

The challenge is there in all three divisions and most people, that enjoy shooting air guns outdoors, find one that suits them best. I would encourage everyone to try it at least once; like many, you may end up wishing you had tried it sooner.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:02 pm 

What makes kneeling kneeling is the body weight on the knee. It is too high to put left elbow on the left knee for stabilization. We all try to "kneel" as low as possible. Hence the flat-ankel.

Good point on vertical foot. I did that and it wasn't low enough. At the time I still took part in competition, so I brought it to the club's officials. It was deemed acceptable. Funny is that I may not have the roll with flat ankle. I agree sitting on the heel, flat ankle or not, is questionable. It is different from sitting field position though, as big part of body weight is still on the knee.

I don't compete any more. But I still practice field positions from time to time, with the flat ankle of course. It may not be regulation and acceptable in all matches, but it works the best for me.

-TL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:20 pm 

This is the kneeling position I was taught however the point of my elbow was not on my knee cap.
The shooter in the foreground might have it behind his knee cap.

Attachments:
kneeling-firingline.jpg
kneeling-firingline.jpg [ 150.4 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 pm 

Agreed. The point of elbow is pointy and "slippery". The muscle behind the point is more stable. That requires, at least to me, kneeling even a bit lower.

I can see the shooters in the picture pretty much sit on their heels, even their feets are vertical. The roll is tucked under the leg to take the weigh off their toes. I would say it is essentially the same as, or similar to, having a flat ankle. Rule is rule, that I understand.

-TL