Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:33 pm 

Hello,

So I have found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/POPOTR-Defensive- ... 156&sr=8-6

From what I have read about the law, it seems spring operated knives are prohibited, but I don't know if that would include this as well, as it's technically not a knife.

It is for sale on Amazon Canada so I'd think that means it would be legal, but I have heard stories of illegal things being available on Amazon, so I am not relying on that.

So what exactly is the legal status of a thing like this product?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:47 pm 

I think if you shot someone with that, you would be charged with "assault with a weapon dangerous to the public peace" as well as "Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace" & anything else they could dream up.
The possession charge would also be "it" if you were found to be in possession of it, even though you did not use it - yet.
It's difficult to say EXACTLY what would happen, even if you used it in a self-defense situation. it would depend on your attacker, HIS size, armed or not, yadda, yadda, yadda
& then, it would depend on your defense in court and the judge's feelings on the matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:57 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I think if you shot someone with that, you would be charged with "assault with a weapon dangerous to the public peace" as well as "Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace" & anything else they could dream up.
The possession charge would also be "it" if you were found to be in possession of it, even though you did not use it - yet.
It's difficult to say EXACTLY what would happen, even if you used it in a self-defense situation. it would depend on your attacker, HIS size, armed or not, yadda, yadda, yadda
& then, it would depend on your defense in court and the judge's feelings on the matter.

Obviously anything if used as a weapon, will be considered as a weapon, that's not my question.

My question is whether the product itself is prohibited outright, or not. From what I have heard people say, this would not be the best in a self-defense situation at all, unless you hit someone in sensitives spots, like eyes, or testicles, whatever.

If anything, my use would be sport - target shooting, cans, bottles, whatever else like that, just like my pellet/bb guns.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:02 pm 

In my opinion that thing looks like junk and no threat to anyone? LOL

This looks like more fun but is expensive? https://www.amazon.ca/Nijsaku-Slingshot ... =1-10&th=1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:06 pm 

Maybe you'll have to buy one to find out.
This device is not listed at this time as being prohibited, thus by itself, it is not prohibited - yet.
In order for it to be declared prohibited, someone needs to shoot someone with it or used in a crime
and then the Firearms Branch of the RCMP in Ottawa or Miramachi will decide after that. At time time,
not prohibited, ie: not regulated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:54 pm 

I know this seems a little ranty, but goddamn, a lot of our prohibitions are just stupid, like Ninja Stars (throwing stars) (while throwing knives and circular saw blades are totally legal) or Nun chucks, etc.

Not to mention a lot of the prohibited knives.

Oh and not to mention, brass knuckles are prohibited, but knuckle dusters made of plastic or other such materials (non-metal) are perfectly legal to buy and own.

I think as time marches on, while we are getting more tolerant and accepting, we are also getting more and more sissified. There's nothing wrong with being tolerant and accepting, but being tolerant and accepting doesn't have to mean being sissified and scared of your own shadow. I' have no issue criticizing old fashioned values, views, and beliefs - especially those that are unjustly discriminatory, and I have no issue going after religion even, hell, I adore Marilyn Manson. However, that doesn't mean I have to fear anything that goes "bang" or anything sharp, or what not, not at all. Hell, I'm all for arming LGBT+ folk, so they can protect themselves from the more extreme violent bigots.

Apparently in the U.K now, there is a campaign to try to get a blanket ban on swords. Yes, swords.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:07 pm 

Harry Danger! Wouldn't want that to happen here. They are the only thing I feel safe about displaying & unless you come to the basement door and get let inside, you won't see
them. First line of defense, though. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:54 am 

This guy demonstrates the launcher in a funny video.... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQWRSJWoxB0

Here is another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PA4DEDkG_M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:57 am 

hey twig. i do recall some one on here buying one of these from amazon and talking about it. that was awhile back. i think- but i,m not positive that it was wheeliehd.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:43 pm 

Could be interpted as a ballistic knife by some prosecuter having a bad day/life. In reality probably a let down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:55 pm 

Judging by the "accuracy" range, according to the videos it appears to be arm's reach, I'll use the hard lumps at the ends of my forearms.
As for defense, that needle chucker could make someone REALLY angry.
You'd be better off with a Kubaton.
Years ago my wife and daughters took a self defense course from one of the local RCMP officers on the use of a Kubaton as a defensive tool.
These were made of hardened aluminum and had a fairly pointy end. They go on the car or truck key ring. The face is the target, especially the
temples and eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:39 pm 

I'm probably not gonna buy this then.

I know that one-handed crossbows, and those under 500mm or 50cm, are prohibited.

Does the same standard apply to compound and recurve bows, or no? I know bows cannot be on-handed, but what about the length part?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0C6KRVSRZ?psc ... ct_details

Last edited by Twiggy on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:20 pm 

hey twig. i got one of these for shooting in the garage in winter. it,s pretty cool. it,s called a seeker crossbow. but now they are called-- bear desire xl. i made my own backboard. because i bought one of those square targets from canadian tire and the bolts hit it so hard they buried themselves inside it.. these shots are from 18 feet away. double click for bigger pic. frontier outfitters has them on for $79.95.

Attachments:
IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2073.jpg [ 392.32 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]
IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg [ 450.16 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]
IMG_2071.jpg
IMG_2071.jpg [ 341.39 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 pm 

pete wrote:
hey twig. i got one of these for shooting in the garage in winter. it,s pretty cool. it,s called a seeker crossbow. but now they are called-- bear desire xl. i made my own backboard. because i bought one of those square targets from canadian tire and the bolts hit it so hard they buried themselves inside it.. these shots are from 18 feet away. double click for bigger pic. frontier outfitters has them on for $79.95.

Neat, I have heard of those, and a couple other similar ones. I saw a sale for one of those types in a Canadian Tire flyer not long ago, $99. At least I think it was Canadian Tire.