Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:57 pm 

As most 8 year olds, back in the 1950's, dusters (Westerns) excited me with all the shooting, as did Walt
Disney & The Wild Kingdom shows, however I saw most of those animals as something to hunt, kill and eat. rather blunt, but you asked. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:08 pm 

Daryl wrote:
As most 8 year olds, back in the 1950's, dusters (Westerns) excited me with all the shooting, as did Walt
Disney & The Wild Kingdom shows, however I saw most of those animals as something to hunt, kill and eat. rather blunt, but you asked. 8)
I saw they all grown up by eating worms.... [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:21 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I saw they all grown up by eating worms.... [emoji38]

Some did - usually on a "dare", the older sibling or cousin's "dare".
I actually remember complying and "winning" that dare, but that was many years before my 8th birthday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:18 pm 

When I started as a kid ( 8-9years old) shooting was a family passion. So every Sunday me and my sister went with my dad shooting ( Daisy buck, crosman mark1). Once I was old enough I got into the powder burners and ended my airgunning. 10-15 years later I bought my first house and had a massive squirrel infestation in the garage. So I went to Canadian Tire and bought a Benjamin Classic ( non-pal) and the airgunning flame was lite as again.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:50 pm 

YepYep wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:
I know I wasn't in school yet so I'm guessing 4yrs or 5yrs old max, I received a suction cup dart spring pistol.....I remember licking the cup and called my mom and shot her dead center between the eyes from across the kitchen. I got my arse beat and never saw the gun again.... [emoji38] [emoji38]

LOL!! I had those things too but never made such a "head shot" like you~ You are a born shooter~ [emoji38]

I think that was a really lucky shot that came with a painful outcome! HaHaHa

Growing up in a "gun family", that was a lesson well learned on when and where to point the barrel.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Yeah, those were the best of days in my opinion. Those two shows were the best. You got me beat by 10yrs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:58 pm 

For myself, it was an accident that put me on disability and since i couldn't do most of what i used to do for recreation and that i suddently came to hqve more time than i could know what to do with, i turned back to precision shooting airguns for fun and as a way to past the time.

it helps with dealing with chronic pain somehow,concentrating on something else with high aspirations with regards to achieving better results every time...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:46 pm 

Introduced to powder burners on the farm as a kid. Years later decided to get my PAL and get into plinking/competitive shooting. About four years ago must have run into some YouTube videos on air guns. Had never even thought of them before but decided to give it a try. Just a springer so far but I’m keeping my eye on the rapid advancements in new PCPs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:11 am 

My family has a lot of land in a remote part of NS, at least it was considered very remote when I was young, and I thoroughly enjoyed shooting targets with a .22 rifle. I could do that all day long and it didn't bother anyone. If I did that today a SWAT team would be landing. I really missed that. A good air rifle resolved this, now I safely enjoy plinking targets again without worrying anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:34 pm 

In late 90's and early 2K my two sons were competition swimming, I was a poorest guy around a block. Somewhere about 2005 we moved to other city, my older son stopped with everyday trainings and soon after the younger boy as well... turns out they didn't liked the club and didn't liked the coaches...
Suddenly I became a millionaire on my time table, didn't know what to do with my hours, I was looking for a hobby or sport. This how I came up with archery. After a year or two started competing Field and FITA, and traveled big distances to tournaments. About 2018 I got a lung surgery below my pull arm shoulder blade...the mofo doctors cut through some major nerves and muscles... for over two years I could not draw the bow. So I started actively training with airguns, long range targets, with a mental for competition...
And there comes the virus story, all lock down, I could not travel, then I got busy at work just in front of retirement. Finally have time but the money is not there anymore to justify the travels, but I am still competing against myself, because I have not meat air heads North of GTA yet...
I would any day trade my city home for some farmland with a chunk of forest at the rear, only wife still not convinced to trade her pay check :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:37 am 

I got started the first time aged 7, when my stepdad bought me a Daisy BB rifle. Got rather addicted to shooting that, and within a year saved enough allowance money to buy a Czech break-barrel .22" pellet rifle. Did a bit of small game hunting, but really mostly just plinking. Loved it. But at 14, I casually shot a small yellow songbird on a whim, at about 40 feet in the top of a tree, shooting from the hip to show off. The little thing dropped and didn't move again, and I was heartbroken. Suddenly hated shooting. So I called a friend who envied the rather accurate .177" Czech rifle I had by then and sold it to him for his small business collecting starling leg bounties at City Hall in Kelowna. That was the mid-1970's.

Didn't think about shooting at all until 2011. The squirrels were destroying so much of my garden that I just got more and more angry. I'd tried trapping and releasing elsewhere years earlier, but got instructed by a cop that this was illegal and I could be fined, so sold the trap. But this time I decided to get a pellet gun.

Started with dumb, cheap stuff, from Canadian Tire. Worked my way up through a handful of airguns. Eventually got sidetracked by 10 metre air pistol competition, and for a few years earned medals shooting in that sport. Hurt my shoulder and had to quit pistol, so I got into air rifles and casual hunting field target sessions at the Mission club once a month. Got more and more into modifying these, tweaking air flow, refining them... and now I have a few airguns I very much enjoy shooting, the latest two being an Artemis PP750 and an Edgun Leshiy 2 in .25".

But somewhere in there, I guess 4 years ago, I got my PAL and started getting more into firearms. .22lr, 9mm, and 6.5Creedmoor so far, and I'll probably keep to just those three cartridges. That was more about self-sufficiency, concerns about the world falling apart... but also about target shooting which it turns out is pretty fun with firearms as well.

And the squirrels? Last week I got grey squirrel #399. Haven't seen a rat in a while, but those are up to #191. My neighbours are grateful for both, as their gardens suffer much less and the songbirds love it. Having once watched in horror as a squirrel stopped for a snack and wiped out a trio of baby chickadees, then ran on within about 20 seconds, the poor parents freaking out but helpless... well, I know full well that these invasive (imported by idiots) squirrels are even worse than domestic cats for songbirds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 am 

I'm brand new just getting into airguns. I've had a passion for building airsoft replicas and playing airsoft for years now. I am quite fond of the sniper role and like shooting far accurately. So when I saw videos of guys target shooting from 100 yards with a grouping the size of a toonie...I was hooked instantly. I still don't have an airgun yet but I'm working on it :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:10 pm 

Greys or black squirrels - or maybe both?
As far as bad for songbirds, domestic cats are nasty. Every single day my daughter's cat is outside, it brings home birds.
The cat has not showed up for a while. Maybe someone in her neighbourhood had dispatched it. If caught and taken to the SPCA, she'd have it back as he's chipped.

I understand the progression of "things". I now have powder burning rifles from .172 on up to .72 (no, that one doesn't produce over 10,000 joules, nor does the .69).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Greys or black squirrels - or maybe both?

Greys, blacks, browns, all genetically identical - they're variations on the Eastern Grey squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis, which was introduced in two incidents decades apart by men who thought they'd look cute. Being extremely territorial animals, they have forced any remaining native Douglas squirrels out of urban environments, though some remain in Stanley Park, and of course with the Greys preferring the easy city life, the Douglas and nocturnal flying squirrels remain intact in the mountains outside the city.

I've taken a couple with ringed tails, maybe 10 rings of alternating light/dark fur. They're pretty creatures until they get skin diseases and start to fall apart, which seems to affect about 1/3 of the Greys I see. But they dig into rooftops (my neighbour has had them nesting several times in the past decade in his roof and beside his daughter's bedroom), eat wiring insulation (lots of old woven cloth/shellac wire insulation around here still), and endanger homes with fire. They pee on everything, potentially spreading at least 5 human-transmissible diseases. And yeah, they'll go through a garden taking 1 or 2 bites out of EVERY tomato, squash, you name it, just to see if they like it. Why not ruin 30 tomatoes in 2 minutes, just in case 1 tomato happens to taste good? They're not all that smart.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 pm 

The greys and blacks were prolific back in South Western Ontario as I grew up. - lots of rabbit squirrel consumed by me.
Now and then' I'd get the odd larger reddish Fox squirrel.
Out here where I am now, only the red Pine Squirrels inhabit. They are hard on attics and crawl spaces as well. I had to set up a trap line around the last house when we moved in.
Too many Squirrels living between the roof & and the sub-roof. We replaced the cedar shake fascia with aluminum once the squirrels were taken care of. I had to use traps. dishcharge
of an air rifle would have garnered unwanted attention.