Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:25 am 

I recently took one out of service with issues and now using the other one. I had used both over time.This one is 2 years old and about 5,000 pellets. Compresson is good. I notice group accuracy at 20-22 feet is falling off. Barrel is cleaned seldom with cleaning pellets. Is it reasonable to assume that 5,000 pellets through this low cost pistol is as much as its internals can handle for peak performance?

Also, years ago I bought laser sights for 11mm. rail. Now they are all 11mm.-20mm. adjustable/ reversable. I find that the claws for 11mm. do not grip well on the P17 rail. I have ordered a 11mm. -20mm. rail adaptor so that the 20mm. claws can grip more firmly on rail top .Would this be a factor for accuracy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 pm 

Lead pellets won’t wear a barrel down that quickly.
Give the barrel a good cleaning and tighten all the bolts.
If accuracy still is poor chronograph it to ensure consistent velocity.
If it’s inconsistent then there’s something wrong with the power plant
I have a red dot mounted with a 11mm to weaver adapter and mine is fabulously accurate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:27 pm 

my p-17 is the only air gun i,ve ever taken apart --replaced the rubber seals-- and put back together successfully. that was while watching a guy do it on you tube. that was a year or so ago and it still shoots great. i,ve got a red dot sight on it too. i,ve had it for well over a few years now and have never cleaned the barrel. i put a steel plate on the bottom of it and made a carbine extension for it. oh--and i forgot to mention-- i bought it off of captain america.

Attachments:
IMG_2130.jpg
IMG_2130.jpg [ 321.5 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]
IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2129.jpg [ 313.21 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]
IMG_2128.jpg
IMG_2128.jpg [ 342.2 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

Last edited by pete on Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:28 pm 

one more pic. double click for bigger pics.

Attachments:
IMG_2131.jpg
IMG_2131.jpg [ 287.74 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:08 pm 
Site Moderator

If velocity is consistent and sight is not loose then it should group the same as before. Are you using same pellets? Try benchrest to eliminate possible shooter error.

I am somewhat familiar with the dot sight you are using. It has lock screws to secure settings. If you don’t use these tiny screws then sight will move every time it’s bumped or put down. The P17 requires physical effort to cock. The sight can move when pistol slams shut.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:12 pm 

TCooper wrote:
If velocity is consistent and sight is not loose then it should group the same as before. Are you using same pellets? Try benchrest to eliminate possible shooter error.

I am somewhat familiar with the dot sight you are using. It has lock screws to secure settings. If you don’t use these tiny screws then sight will move every time it’s bumped or put down. The P17 requires physical effort to cock. The sight can move when pistol slams shut.

I agree that perhaps they could go out of alignment with the cocking effort
I use cheap lasers from Ebay (China) on my airguns for several years,My groups have been excellent from a rest for a long time not requiring constant adjustment with the built in elevation and windage screws. Is this what you mean by "lock screws"
It may be that some inexpensive lasers do not perform well after years of service or that the P17, in this case, is wearing out . I don't have a chrony but know that it still shoots hard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:00 pm 

Are we conflating red dots with lasers?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:08 pm 
Site Moderator

The above pic shows a red dot on his P17. This model has been sold under many names such as TruGlo, CenterPoint, Axeon and Walther.
On the right side of sight there should be a tiny slotted screw to lock against one of the adjustment screws. I think the second lock screws is at the back of sight. It is possible that production shortcuts eliminated these screws. I that case the adjust is held by a spring. The top section of sight can be moved on the base, unlike a tube style dot sight or more modern dot sight.

https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-resou ... -sight.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:23 pm 
Site Moderator

You can see the two tiny adjustment lock screws on this model.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/dot-si ... flex-sight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:21 am 

TCooper wrote:

'
Todd,that is Pete's P17 with red dot. Mine wears a small laser.. I tried red dots many years ago but found lasers to get better pinpoint accuracy indoors at short distance for target shooting. I will post any improvement after I mount the 20mm claws of the laser on the rail adaptor which I ordered. As for lasers, I won't go for the $$ brands.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:55 pm 

My red-dot sight is old school.

Attachments:
PP700SA .22 resized.jpg
PP700SA .22 resized.jpg [ 154.32 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 pm 

Problems solved !
I received my $10 rail adaptor from Amazon tonight. Within a half hour getting very small groups at 24 feet . I usually stop at 22 feet to impress myself. The inaccuracy started a few weeks ago when the laser with an 11mm.claw only started to act up. These are not produced anymore. I installed a laser wih an 11mm. to 20mm. adjustable claw. To my eye ,the 11mm. selection on these does not have the same grip . When you tighten it the teeth above the rail ( as I call them) do not close inward 100%. so a very little bit of wobble is possible from the body of the laser itself.

So , at this point there is no fault with the pistol or the cheap laser . Using the rail adaptor seems to be the cure.
I shoot sitting from a rest and cock against a pad on my abdomen . With this rail far forward and rear sight removed I still have room for an easy horizontal cocking effort with the palm of my hand. Perhaps the extra weight with the rail helps accuracy too. A frustrating few days are now behind me I hope.

This rail at just under 3 inches is the shortest I can find.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:43 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
TCooper wrote:

'
Todd,that is Pete's P17 with red dot. Mine wears a small laser.. I tried red dots many years ago but found lasers to get better pinpoint accuracy indoors at short distance for target shooting. I will post any improvement after I mount the 20mm claws of the laser on the rail adaptor which I ordered. As for lasers, I won't go for the $$ brands.

thats what |I said above; a red dot sight is not the same thing as a laser pointer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 am 

ten-ring wrote:
Problems solved !
I received my $10 rail adaptor from Amazon tonight. Within a half hour getting very small groups at 24 feet . I usually stop at 22 feet to impress myself. The inaccuracy started a few weeks ago when the laser with an 11mm.claw only started to act up. These are not produced anymore. I installed a laser wih an 11mm. to 20mm. adjustable claw. To my eye ,the 11mm. selection on these does not have the same grip . When you tighten it the teeth above the rail ( as I call them) do not close inward 100%. so a very little bit of wobble is possible from the body of the laser itself.

So , at this point there is no fault with the pistol or the cheap laser . Using the rail adaptor seems to be the cure.
I shoot sitting from a rest and cock against a pad on my abdomen . With this rail far forward and rear sight removed I still have room for an easy horizontal cocking effort with the palm of my hand. Perhaps the extra weight with the rail helps accuracy too. A frustrating few days are now behind me I hope.

This rail at just under 3 inches is the shortest I can find.

Ignore the inaccurate description of my cocking method