Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:20 pm 

If you are in a wet area, Ballistol will not prevent rust. It is a water soluble oil. That means it will not keep moisture off your steel parts.
Found this out via. my brother and a friend, both of whom rusted up multi-thousand dollar muzzleloading rifles after oiling them with Ballistol.
It's your rifle, do as you see fit. For me, Ballistol only has a use for mixing with water as a water-soluble patch lube.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:23 pm 

Daryl wrote:
If you are in a wet area, Ballistol will not prevent rust. It is a water soluble oil. That means it will not keep moisture off your steel parts.
Found this out via. my brother and a friend, both of whom rusted up multi-thousand dollar muzzleloading rifles after oiling them with Ballistol.
It's your rifle, do as you see fit. For me, Ballistol only has a use for mixing with water as a water-soluble patch lube.

Well, I certainly have not had any rusting issues so far but the local humidity levels are low. I will continue to use Ballistol until there are obvious signs of problems which can be attributed directly to its use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:06 am 

I'm using G96 Crud Buster for all metal parts for cleaning--this is the suggestion from a firearm store sales manager as he told me he tried many different type and found out that one is the best--especially for actions, you just need to spray to the gap and the oil will flush into inside--no need to took anything apart, then just let the gravity drain it. Then G96 gun oil lightly applied.

And for stock I am still using Ballistol--I found it will last longer than any other oils on the stock, although it is bit smelly

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:19 pm 

Ace wrote:
AnotherSlob wrote:
It diesels sometimes for 10 shots or so - I don't think that's normal.

yes that's normal its because you have a bit of oil or grease in the piston
chamber/tube next time you have it apart a good cleaning of the tube will help

Thank you, I've seen some liberal applications of the Crosman break-barrel oil over the piston, and the advice was to keep the gas ram itself dry & clean (within reason). I lubed the piston pretty heavily as you can see in the image.

I mentioned I have WD40 White Lithium Grease - since it's safe on my electric scooter's hubs, joints & suspension, I assume it's ok in my barrel - but I'm going to make sure I only put what's required in there. I use the Crosman break-barrel oil for the parts I'm handling upon every disassembly but the barrel's been untouched so far. I assumed enough oil gets sent through the barrel from the piston anyway, that it's fine for a long time. I have to blow out smoke to see through the barrel every 3 shots or so, it seems. Once I get my F11 to perform properly, I'll focus on maintenance.

Not sure if you're aware of the OEM gas ram for the Crosman F11, but it (BT5M22) has a very skinny metal ring around the gas ram body. I pulled it off & put it on my new BT9M22 spring. Would you happen to know if it's helpful at all? It made no difference in my FPS testing with shims/gas ram swaps.

Thank you!

Attachments:
top BT9M22 bottom BT5M22.jpg
top BT9M22 bottom BT5M22.jpg [ 423.85 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]
piston grease.jpg
piston grease.jpg [ 571.91 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]
Lithium Grease.jpg
Lithium Grease.jpg [ 437.09 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:26 pm 

Atlas_cn wrote:
I'm using G96 Crud Buster for all metal parts for cleaning--this is the suggestion from a firearm store sales manager as he told me he tried many different type and found out that one is the best--especially for actions, you just need to spray to the gap and the oil will flush into inside--no need to took anything apart, then just let the gravity drain it. Then G96 gun oil lightly applied.

And for stock I am still using Ballistol--I found it will last longer than any other oils on the stock, although it is bit smelly

Interesting. I'll do a little research on what's best for barrels & a firearm store sales manager sounds like a good source of info. I'm not sure what Crosman use for the barrels of their 495 FPS limited rifles, but if there's something specific I should change in the off chance my rifle enters another echelon of FPS, I'll see what I need to get to protect the barrel.
I thought that whatever I put on the piston itself, will eventually find its way through the transfer port, to the breech - meaning the Crosman break-barrel oil will gush forward enough that the barrel is lubed with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:36 pm 

Atlas I believe that is a centering ring. It is used to keep the ram cylinder of the piston wall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:31 pm 

A friction reducing "bushing" to prevent the body of the cylinder from rubbing the sides of the tube?