Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: What a frustrating day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:01 pm 

I had my Hatsan 85 out yesterday in the beautiful sunshine for the first time since last fall. I only shot a couple of 10 shot groups... which were frustrating enough, and then my trigger broke off. I have never seen that happen in all my years . It just snapped like it was white metal. This will be the second Quattro trigger for this gun. The one that can with the rifle just froze up one day. It was replaced under warranty, but this one won't I'm sure. Bad start to the shooting season. LOL

Attachments:
IMG_3155.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG [ 94.31 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
IMG_3153.JPG
IMG_3153.JPG [ 84.67 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:11 pm 

Unfortunate. Appears to be very poor metal at that, just like the old "pot" metal. Zinc and something just as cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:03 pm 

Doh! that is really bad. Do you have a pellet stuck in the barrel with the gun cocked or did you manage to get the shot off?
Being inherently interested in such things, I did a search and found this thread which points to the problem - and it's a common issue with these trigger blades. if you manage to get a replacement, heed the advice here:
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... c=177836.0

i found one on eBay, but costs a lot..
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384748365373?it ... R67r--7HYw

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:58 pm 

LOL~

First time seeing this~ looks we can not blame plastic / polymer trigger blades anymore... They looks harder to break~

Sorry to see that in action! But can't stop laughing.... [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:00 am 

That's one heck of a trigger pull you got there Hulk.

That's a bummer. I just broke my the handle for one of my casting molds by hitting the sprue plate too hard, but not as critical as a trigger. My foolishness will cost me 40$ plus shipping. It was my fault in this case.

I'm sure someone on the forum can machine a trigger for you out of aluminum or something. Some might be able to make it with steel.

Lots of amazingly handy people around here.

I could do it with my 3d printer, but doubtful you want a plastic trigger. (LOL) Of course, PETG+CF would work wonders and not deteriorate in the sun.

If my CNC router skills were up to snuff, I'd offer to make you an aluminum trigger but the machine was just installed yesterday, and haven't even begun the learning process yet.

What's the game plan? Going back to the company for a replacement or get someone from the forum to make you one?

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 am 

looks like crappy pot metal, hate that stuff :x
that's unfortunate I'd call them up and see if they can replace it you never know
let them know its your second trigger blade and that it looks like a common issue... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:41 am 

Thanks for all of the replies and offers! Duke, I read the thread from Gateway, I guess mine isn't an only case. I haven't heard of that issue before.

I emailed Hatsan in the US and they won't ship to Canada and they aren't aware of any Hatsan warranty/repair centers in Canada. They suggest that I contact Hatsan directly, which I will do.

Today, i called the gunsmith that I bought it from ( in 2015) who did warranty work for Hatsan in Canada at one time. He is pretty much retired though. However he still has a few parts left and by chance does have the part that I need. Not the complete trigger mechanism, but just the trigger part that broke. I will buy some spares if he has them. He is going to repair it tomorrow. It's a 2 hour drive, but...... LOL

However, there is a silver lining to my problem. Now that I can't trust my trigger, I'll have to start looking for a replacement rifle. But that will be another thread... :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:03 am 

Crosshair54 wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies and offers! Duke, I read the thread from Gateway, I guess mine isn't an only case. I haven't heard of that issue before.

I emailed Hatsan in the US and they won't ship to Canada and they aren't aware of any Hatsan warranty/repair centers in Canada. They suggest that I contact Hatsan directly, which I will do.

Today, i called the gunsmith that I bought it from ( in 2015) who did warranty work for Hatsan in Canada at one time. He is pretty much retired though. However he still has a few parts left and by chance does have the part that I need. Not the complete trigger mechanism, but just the trigger part that broke. I will buy some spares if he has them. He is going to repair it tomorrow. It's a 2 hour drive, but...... LOL

However, there is a silver lining to my problem. Now that I can't trust my trigger, I'll have to start looking for a replacement rifle. But that will be another thread... :D :D

Make sure he runs a tap through the holes before putting the setscrews in.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:24 am 

I would try gluing it back together with glass bedding compound (metal filled epoxy). While I still have the part, I would try to make a 3d model of it. With that I can either send it out for 3d printing or machining, with modifications necessary to correct the underlying breakage issue. The repaired part will buy me time till I get replacement.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:29 pm 

Gluing it back together to get dimensions, etc, would work. Trying to use it after gluing, all bets are off.
I would suggest trying to get a new part. If 3-D'd and the design could be stiffened up between those 2 locations
where it broke, a 3-D printed trigger might work. Could it be solid right across those "joints"?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 pm 

Not gluing it where it broke, but to add extra to fill and reinforce. That's why glass bedding compound, instead of super glue. It may work long enough.

-TL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:00 pm 

For a bedding compound epoxy to help, anywhere it is meant to stick, will need to be roughed up.
The JB Compound with steel content would be better than say, Acraglass as the Acraglass & other epoxies
without steel content may be quite brittle & add very little actual strength.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:06 pm 

JB welt is ok, except that it doesn't "flow", so surface adhesion may not be as good. I generally group all these into glass bedding compounds. For this sort of jobs, I prefer something with lower viscosity. A good slow set epoxy glue will also work, I think.

Degrease, rough up surface, proper clamping etc. I did a few "reactive" jobs with this method.

-TL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:03 am 

I went to the gunsmith that I bought the Hatsan from yesterday. He did have a trigger for the gun. He had it repaired in a half hour. In his 20 years doing Hatsan warranty work he had only seen a couple of triggers that had broken like this. I also was able to acquire a 2nd trigger that he cabbaged from a parts gun that he had. So hopefully I will never need the second trigger. If I do I might have someone make a 3-D copy...just in case. LOL.

Once again, thank you for all of the reply's, suggestion's and offers of help.

Attachments:
IMG_3161.JPG
IMG_3161.JPG [ 73.3 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]
IMG_3160.JPG
IMG_3160.JPG [ 53.5 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:10 am 

Awesome! Where is this mysterious gunsmith, in case I need to go for some repairs?

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum