Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PCP hand pumps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:36 pm 

what PCP hand pump do you use ? i notice there seem to be alot of PCP handpumps around the $100 mark or even less. Is there any real difference between them? Eventually ill go for a compressor like the JTS or something similar but for now the hand pump is a good option .

Post subject: Re: PCP hand pumps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:45 pm 

Over the years have had a few. There are different designs available and of course some are 3 stage and some are 4 stage. For hand pumping pressures up to 200 bar and tanks up to about 0.5 l are feasible. All the pumps I have had did the job. I had a Hatsan 3 stage, an Amazon "cheapie" 3 stage and a Benjamin 3-stage which is the one I still have and it's still going strong after 12+ years service. My advice would be don't go super cheap and don't go overboard, a good quality 3 or 4 -stage for the purpose:
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/agh-4-stage ... r-pumping/
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/3-stage-pcp ... th-filter/
And use a water filter for sure - you don't want water in the pump or your gun/bottle.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:40 pm 

I've got a cheap Chicom one and a British Hill pump, the Hill is much nicer and feels easier to pump but the Chicom one does work for less cash.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:06 am 

I gave up on hand pumping before it gave up on me. I have a cheap one from Ebay about $60. Used it 2 or 3 times a day for 4 months and changed one oring. I would take 70 strokes then let it cool then another 70 to fill the gun to 3000 psi. I then got a gun with 900 cc tanks and pumped 440 strokes straight to close the poppet, that is when I changed an oring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:16 am 

Got a cheapy chinese one for under 100$. Amazon. I comes with spare o-rings to rebuild it. A few thousand pumps later, and it's still going strong.

It's a 3 stage pump, so getting past 3000 psi gives me quite a workout seeing as I weigh barely 160 and not super fit. Sometimes I feel like I should load up a backpack with 60lbs to give me that extra downward pressure. Thankfully, my guns, except for the 9mm BigHorn are all manual pump friendly.

A four stage pump will get you up to higher pressures with less effort, but at the cost of a few more pumps.

Dukemeister's advice on water filters is key. There's a significant amount of water that will rush out of your bleed valve when using a good filter.

A wad of cotton, or cigarette filter in a 2 inch long tube isn't going to cut it either I'm afraid ... but it certainly helps!

It also depends on your gun. I wouldn't care if a bit of water winds up in my Bandit PP800R pistol, but for anything higher end, the air should be as dry as possible.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:07 pm 

I have a Hill.

I use it only to top up my PCP pistols to their peak operating efficiencies at home in my 10 yard indoor range, which only takes, for instance, about 16 or so pumps to fill my Crosman to 2600 psi. It operates flawlessly between 2600 and 2100 psi. About 30 - 35 shots. Once it is at 2100 I pump it up to 2600 and there it is. Easy pumping.

Would I want to fill any PCP airgun from ground 0 to 3000 psi?

Hell no.

My compressor at home, or my two tanks in the field or range, thanks very much.

My advice is to stop buying more airguns you don't really need and get a compressor or a guppy tank and don't buy ANY pump. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:19 pm 

I picked up the three stage from link you posted Dukemeister and it works great . going from 2000 to 3000 is pretty easy and only takes a few mins of pumping with very reasonable effort .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 pm 

Oh to be young again!! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 pm 

I had the Benjamin hand pump that pumps to 3000 PSI. I used it for 2 years, and not even that much, before it needed re seal job. I was not impressed with the low durability, and I was careful to pump it slowly. It felt like decent quality, but only works to 3000 PSI, and I realize many airguns nowadays fill to 4500 PSI.

I have the parts to re-seal the Benjamin pump, I just haven't done it yet, as I decided it was time to jump into the PCP compressor game and pick up a JTS Comp1 compressor instead. I have had it for 5 months, and it works very well. I only need to fill airguns to 3000PSI, at this point, even though the Comp1 will fill to 4500 PSI.

Dave