Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:45 pm 

Agree- astigmatism. Without my glasses, I see a slanted bright line. With the glasses, it's a bright dot as it should be with the corrective lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:38 pm 
Site Moderator

An aperture taped to your lens will likely work to make the dot appear round. My eyes are terrible. I need prescription readers just to see words in a book. My distance glasses do not work for iron sights. I can sometimes use special glasses with an arm’s length focal distance (intermediates) that I had made for computer use and tinkering.

When I use my distance glasses with a red dot sight I usually see a comet tail pointing at the 2 o’clock position. Today it looked like a second dot. Sometimes it will go away if I look exactly through the center of lens. Today I tried taping an aperture to my lens and the dot is now round and crisp. I can even look through the inside corner of lens and see a round dot. The challenge is positioning the aperture where you want it.

A cheap homemade aperture also works for handgun iron sights. I’m not sure about rifle sights. For an aperture I’m currently using a small piece of a playing card. You can use a piece of cereal box, beer case, business card, etc. Anything that is thick enough to block out light. Poke hole with a yarn needle. You can get fancy with an adjustable Gehmann #390 clip-on for $140 or make a cheap example for nothing.

https://www.airgunsplus.ca/shop/gehmann ... p-on-iris/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:52 pm 

I went through this hassle with red dots many years ago, I replaced several units, until one day I asked my wife :)
Lets laugh first then I will elaborate what she said. She is an ME in high end optics company - nothing to do with reading glasses ;)
Companies started cheapening out on materials and processes, and using cheaper coatings on glasses, especially typical on lower cost units.
Lets do some tests first.
Hold the red dot in your hand in front of your eyes looking into dot. Start rotating the sight along its axis. Is the starburst image rotating with the scope? If yes, it is not a problem with your eyes. Can you make a picture of the starburst? If yes that is not your eyes again.
The lazer diode (inside) projects the dot on the lens, but the coating is bad, that is what artifact you see.

I even had a higher priced unit Sig Romeo7 several years back, the dot was not a point but a line, the lazer pointer was reflecting back a line from the coating. I returned that unit for a full refund. It looked like this in the picture, but with naked aye it was a burning burst you don't know which end of that line to use for aiming:

Attachment:
20200829_173638.jpg
20200829_173638.jpg [ 73.53 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

If both of these two tests failed there is still hope to fix what you see.

- Find some fishing polarizing glasses !!! Try as many glasses you can get to your hands, one will work that the coating is closer to one in your red dot unit.
- Next, you replace your small point red dot with big 5 MOA or larger pointer.
- Or, change the red dot to this style, not necessarily this unit there are many manufacturers offering it. But btw this feyachi is working for couple year for me as a backup.

Attachment:
multiple reticles.JPG
multiple reticles.JPG [ 32.06 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

- Or get a prism sight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:28 pm 

the red dot is a pretty neat device in so much as you dont focus on the dot you simply place it on the target and focus on the target . iIs like pointing at something with your finger , you dont focus on your finger you focus on what your pointing at . It isnt a scope and the dot doesnt have to be perfectly crisp for the sight to work as it was designed . Mount it forward and it will give less flare and astigmtism doenst hinder how well the device works, the dot might be slightly fuzzy or even mishapen but it will still work as well . It is a fast aiming system not a bench rest scope . A great many people get dissapointed when they try to use the red dot like a scope and they were never intended for that application.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:40 pm 

Ah~ Yep! This make some points~

I think the true reason behind the scene that I gave up red dots and change to scope was because I want to place pellets into the same hole not just for kick down the 2x2 size targets~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:12 pm 

Sausage wrote:
the red dot is a pretty neat device in so much as you dont focus on the dot you simply place it on the target and focus on the target . iIs like pointing at something with your finger , you dont focus on your finger you focus on what your pointing at . It isnt a scope and the dot doesnt have to be perfectly crisp for the sight to work as it was designed . Mount it forward and it will give less flare and astigmtism doenst hinder how well the device works, the dot might be slightly fuzzy or even mishapen but it will still work as well . It is a fast aiming system not a bench rest scope . A great many people get dissapointed when they try to use the red dot like a scope and they were never intended for that application.

When it looks like this, aiming becomes difficult. A dot is much easier to use. Without glasses, my red dot sight is unusable. What I see is longer than this one slanted red line and fuzzier.
It's on a pistol, so here in B.C., it's a target or plinking gun only. Illegal for hunting anything. In this "use" it works just fine, as long as I'm wearing my glasses.

Attachments:
PP700 20 yards.jpg
PP700 20 yards.jpg [ 327.27 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]
astigmatism.jpg
astigmatism.jpg [ 29.75 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:52 pm 

I found a couple large-count groups shot with this pistol earlier in the year, indoors as noted.
Actual range was only 50' (16.6yards)
I was sighting in the pistol for the Hades, which it appears to like.

Attachments:
PP700 Tasco Red Dot.JPG
PP700 Tasco Red Dot.JPG [ 651.22 KiB | Viewed 25 times ]