Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 pm 

I have a Remington Express Hunter Muzzle Velocity: 495 fps..To get more power from this gun is it possible to replace the Spring Nitro Mag (gas piston) to a higher powered one so the gun shoots 1200 fps.
Another idea I was also thinking of ordering a .22 barrel with the BT9M22-00-5A Nitro Mag gas piston and keep the .177 as a backup.
Is this possible to do!
And where's a good place I can get these parts from.
Any recommendations !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:46 pm 

"To get more power from this gun is it possible to replace the Spring Nitro Mag (gas piston) to a higher powered one so the gun shoots 1200 fps."

No

If you are in possession of a P.A.L., then purchase a higher powered gun. No gas piston rifle, other than a factory HW90 will develop even close to 1,200fps.
If it did, it would not be accurate enough to hit past about 10 or 15 yards.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:21 pm 

What Daryl said is spot on. Many beginners fall into the trap/rabbit hole you seem to be in, and it doesn't make for a good shooting experience for them. So, first you have to stay within the law, meaning that if you don't have a PAL, then don't modify your gun to shoot over 500 fps. Assuming that is the case, then the next question is how well can you shoot your gun, are you getting good groups at 10 yds, 20 yds?
If you are not able to shoot dime sized groups at 10 yds with it, then it's a waste of time to increase the power at all.

What do you expect to achieve by having more power?

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:31 pm 

I you are PAL in hand you can increase the velocity to a max I have found of 830 Fps with a 8.4 gr pellet. For this it requires both a new gas ram and a short piston. The Hunter Express has a piston diameter of 25 mm and has a limited stroke, because of these dimensions it is not possible to achieve greater velocity regardless of the ram force. In my own gun I achieved a higher velocity with a 60 kg ram than I did with a 70 kg ram. I believe the 70 kg ram moved the pellet before piston impact, because of this the piston would bottom out with such force that the accuracy was terrible.

Break barrels that have a higher velocity have larger piston diameters and longer strokes.
Crosman uses a 29mm as there magnum.
Diana uses a 28 mm
Gamo uses a 33 mm bore for there magnums.
The HW 80 uses a 30 mm piston.

I purchased a new Crosman .22 break barrel full power Vitalshot that can be had from D&L for $129.99. I have seen the Umarex .22 cal on sites for $159.

By the time you buy all 3 components with the barrel being the highest price you be over the cost of a new gun

That's my 2 cents, but if this is to be the project you learn on, then don't let me stand in your way.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:43 am 

NIK1 wrote:
I have a Remington Express Hunter Muzzle Velocity: 495 fps..To get more power from this gun is it possible to replace the Spring Nitro Mag (gas piston) to a higher powered one so the gun shoots 1200 fps.

Yes and no. The 1200 advertised fps are with lead-free .177 caliber pellets, which typically give poor accuracy, especially over 1050-1100 fps. You may get to that power level but, this is the threshold of the speed of sound, at these velocities the skirted pellet is de-stabilized by the sound shockwave, plus they have very low BC. 1200 fps is used in advertisements because SPEED SELLS.

NIK1 wrote:
Another idea I was also thinking of ordering a .22 barrel with the BT9M22-00-5A Nitro Mag gas piston and keep the .177 as a backup.
Is this possible to do!
And where's a good place I can get these parts from.
Any recommendations !

Yes it's possible. You can get the parts here: https://store.gravelagency.com/gaen/bt9 ... pring.html

However, like the others said, if you don't have your PAL don't do it. You may expose yourself to big legal troubles. Also like mentionned, your rifle's behavior will change, you'll get more recoil and a harsher shot cycle. Some tuning may help, but it'll never be as smooth as your 495-fps version. HTH.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:03 am 

Thanks for the info. I do have a pal by the way. Had it since 1980.I got this gun for my nephew last Christmas and he was being irresponsible with it.So my "sister in law" took it away from him and gave it back to me.Just thought of tuning it up and getting a little more power for myself since I now have it back..
So,to convert this gun to a .22 from .177 it will cost more or equal to the price of what a new .22 pellet gun of the same model would cost.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:47 pm 

Nik, the Np Crosman models in most cases are identical except for the stock. The Crosman barrels range $95 to $115 that come with the breach. Then the next one is $33 and comes without the breach. You need to find the parts diagram of your gun, from here. https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/categories/200223634-Owner-s-Manuals-and-Parts-Diagrams

Then do a search on crosman.ca to find the part. In some cases the barrels are Identical but the cut in the end for the muzzle site is different. I have never change the cal on one of my own guns but have done 3 with friends. I have ordered 2 parts for a major upgrade the second part after being back ordered is no longer. I this case I am stuck with a piston I will never use.

Robert.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:07 pm 

I sent Crossman/Remington rep a e-mail mentioning that I want to put a .22 barrel on my Remington Express Hunter .177 gun.
This is what he said...

Thank you for reaching out regarding your Remington Express Hunter .177. I appreciate your interest in upgrading to a .22 caliber barrel for increased hitting power.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to simply switch out the barrel from .177 to .22 caliber on the Remington Express Hunter. These air rifles are specifically designed and manufactured for the caliber they are sold in, and altering the caliber would require significant modifications that could compromise the performance and safety of the gun.

Is this true.or,is he just saying that due to safety legal issues..

Oh well..So much for my brainstorm idea...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:59 pm 

Given the proper barrel and hookup, you could change a .177 to a .25 or .30. The performance might not be what you want, due to the
.177 power plant. I cannot "see" it being dangerous in any way. Now, if you took a .25 cal. rifle and put a .177 barrel on it, the transfer port from
the 'chamber' to the pellet would be larger than the pellet's diameter, I suspect.

That could/would/should/might be cause or concern, or not?