Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Are PCP's Boring?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:43 pm 

Saw a couple of YouTube vids from guys who moved from springers to PCP's and they said it gets boring plinking with PCP's because you never miss. I can relate to that because I have to shoot farther out with my springers because it's just not fun plinking at 20 or 30 yards and hitting targets with no effort at all. So I imagine with something as accurate as PCP's it may get a tad monotonous..... :( Plus I only have 60 yards or so to work with where I go but I'm sure small cans would be a piece of cake for a pcp at 60 yards....hence the potential for boredom...

Post subject: Re: Are PCP's Boring?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm 

A simple solution is to make your targets smaller.
Attachment:
Polish_20211018_185424537_1634597910217.jpg
Polish_20211018_185424537_1634597910217.jpg [ 497.9 KiB | Viewed 908 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:13 pm 

Lol...EXACTLY why I got back into airguns so long ago. Was shooting a brick of rimfire or more a week and hit probability was let's say...pretty darn good.

Got BORING...switched to an old Slavia 630 and shots had to be "precise" for clean kills. Inside 12yrds and to the side of the head at the ear on gophers. Had to stalk things for a change and be patient enough to wait for the needed shot.

Shot a whole lot less, but learned more about focus and patience...not bad things to have more of.

For pcp's, yes...make the target smaller. This one (paintball challenge) has steel cover plates with 1/4" holes and is something of a psychological challenge at 25yrds. :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:33 pm 

Another thing that makes any shooting boring for me, is shooting always off a rest or bench. I like to use my body to steady the gun, whether standing, sitting or kneeling. I also, almost always, shoot my TX200 springer rifles and only break the Steyr out about once or twice a season.

One thing I like about the Steyr is the ability to track the pellet visually. Feedback is immediate. I can do it sometimes with the TX, but not as consistently as with the pcp.

I am keeping the Steyr for the time when I no longer feel comfortable having to manually cock the springer 80 to 100 times in a sitting. At this point, I still do not notice anything out of the ordinary loading and firing the springer for a day of match shooting or fun practise, which often involves a lot more shooting than a match.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:29 pm 

Good post, Al, you too, Mac.
Shot both HW97's today, indoors and was actually thinking of taking the .22 HW97 to the lake to start with. When it's too windy to fish, it's OK in the bush for plinking.
Lotsa bush.
All that greenery is shooting land with cris-crossing logging roads & it runs about 20 miles South as you are looking and 68 Miles to the West (right).

Attachments:
20210901_180443.jpg
20210901_180443.jpg [ 272.89 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:15 pm 

Book, beer and electronic fly zapper on the lake. Does it get any better, living the dream.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:09 pm 

Every summer, all summer. Got some shooting in with the .25 cal. PCP's - had a great time in some logging cut blocks close by.
So peaceful, just sitting, reading, :drinkers: and watching the water, crows, ravens, tree swallows
catching bugs over the water, and a bald eagle growing up on the hill to the left of the picture. I bought
a 20-60X80mm Hawke spotting scope to watch the eagles this summer.
The little red one is mine - has a bimini top for the sun.