Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope for Field Target
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:23 am 

With my AR2079 on the way (dovetail mount) I'm going to start practicing to participate in field target for the first time this year. I have not properly shot air guns before, just back yard plinking as a kid, so real marksmanship will be new to me.

With that said can you fellas recommend what kind of scope I should be looking at for Field Target? How much magnification is required, what brands to look for, etc.

Hoping to stay in the few hundred dollars range. I don't think there's sense in dropping humongous money on a scope yet while my trigger finger itself is probably 10 MOA. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:30 pm 

There are lots of OK scopes for under $200. I have a Discovery that is very close to this one here. https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discovery-vt-z-4-16x42-sfir-rifle-scope-with-side-wheel-focus/ I have since purchased, quit a few scopes of higher quality, but they are not leaps and bounds better. If you are going to max out your shooting at 75m and understand that heat haze affects all scopes then you should be happy with a Discovery. I can shoot fine to 100m with 16 power scope but I can not see the POI on a white target beyond 40 m.

I prefer side focus over AO because if you are standing to take a shot you can both hold the gun up and adjust the focus. While standing with an AO it is harder to reach to the front and hold while rotating the ring. With an air gun it is important to me to be able to eliminate parralax. That can only be done with an AO or side focus. Here a link to the definition of Parralaxhttps://armament.com/parallax-explained/

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:31 pm 

Hunter class allows a maximum 16X scope. Find one with as fine a mil dot increment as you can. Depending on how you set up your scope you will likely be looking at about 1.5 or 2 mildot holdover at your extreme ranges (10yd & 55 yd). The finer you can break down the mildot increment the easier it is to find your correct aimpoint for the given range. You will need to make a dope chart so you have a reference of the required holdover based on your rifles power/ pellet weight vs distance to target

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:04 pm 

I've a couple CF scopes that have MOA adjustments & I like them. Those give much finer adjustments than-do mil dots or even 1/2 mil dot slashes
however the 1/2 mil dot slashes should work fine, for air rifle elevations due to the closer ranges typically shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 pm 

this is odd. I wrote a long (likely too long) response to this earlier today and just came back to see what others had written and my response is not listed.
I know that I hit the "submit" button.... oh well.

A much shorter version is "come out to the FT match in Hamilton on Saturday and look through lots of different scopes and get first hand opinions from a bunch of shooters".

Hope to see you there,
Rob27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:44 am 

Thank you for the advice so far all, much appreciated.

Rob, I had a post dissapear and not go through on another thread, maybe a temporary hiccup yesterday.
Thank you for extending the offer for Saturday. Unfortunately can't make it this time around but hope to show up for more meets at Port and Hamilton this year

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:27 am 

zippy wrote:
Thank you for the advice so far all, much appreciated.

Rob, I had a post dissapear and not go through on another thread, maybe a temporary hiccup yesterday.
Thank you for extending the offer for Saturday. Unfortunately can't make it this time around but hope to show up for more meets at Port and Hamilton this year

Your first 5 post have to be approved before it will post on the forum it helps us to get spammers .But you have 6 posts now so your good to go ..