Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:42 pm 

Do airgun dealers check the guns for leaks before shipping. I would like to get an entry level PCP like the Beeman Chief .22 but have been reading about these particular guns leaking from the get go.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:51 pm 

Don't fear the leaker..many leak at some point, be ready to change o-rings and carry on.
I suspect most dealers don't check every gun. But depending on which one, you could ask them to fill and check for leaks.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:58 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Do airgun dealers check the guns for leaks before shipping. I would like to get an entry level PCP like the Beeman Chief .22 but have been reading about these particular guns leaking from the get go.....

I have had a QB Chief for 4 years and it has only leaked once from the fill valve after about a year. Just added a couple of drops of silicone oil and refilled and it has never leaked again. Used almost daily for plinking.

Gamo Magnum .22
Beeman QB Chief .22
Beeman AR2079A HPA .177
Beeman P17
Umerex Colt Commander
Artemis M11 MK2 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .25
Hill EC-3000 compressor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 pm 

Usually they don't check and usually the gun shipped without air. If you want just expreience, get QB79 with HPA bottle from Wes (airgunarcheryfun.ca) and it is the cheapest pcp you can get, .22 cal about 580fps (you need PAL for it boy), and you can actually ask Wes to double check and fill air for you-- he will do that!

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Don't fear the leaker..many leak at some point, be ready to change o-rings and carry on.
I suspect most dealers don't check every gun. But depending on which one, you could ask them to fill and check for leaks.

Okay...A Blue Oyster Cult fan...I don't fear tinkering with guns.....I just don't want to be rebuilding a gun right out of the box just to get it to work...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 am 

5dotrz wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:

I have had a QB Chief for 4 years and it has only leaked once from the fill valve after about a year. Just added a couple of drops of silicone oil and refilled and it has never leaked again. Used almost daily for plinking.
well that's good news...sounds like you got a good one...long as I can get seals/orings when the time comes is what's important....cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:03 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:

No PCP air gun I have ever purchased, has leaked out of the box. I haven't owned many, just 11 of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:16 pm 

Only one of my guns came with a leak but was so minor it didn't affect the performance. It took me so long to find the leak I created a different leak in the process. Most entry level guns are so basic that only 4 or 5 orings are needed for a rebuild and they usually come with the gun. Other than breach seals which are at a wear point I have not replaced a high pressure seal. My leaking gun the leak was at metal to metal connection.

Robert.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:48 pm 
Site Moderator

Hey MyCrosman … there are a couple of very good deals on PCP rifles on GunPost right now. You can try out that avenue with minimal investment. The deals likely won’t last long. You just need to get a pump.

Regulated Artemis PCP with 3-9AO Diana scope for $295
Beeman Power (Chief) PCP with 3-9AO Simmons scope for $225

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:31 pm 

TCooper wrote:
Hey MyCrosman … there are a couple of very good deals on PCP rifles on GunPost right now. You can try out that avenue with minimal investment. The deals likely won’t last long. You just need to get a pump.

Are they local? Can't find any here. I won't use EMT so it has to be local or from a store. I'm looking at this one.Apparently this store checks the guns for leaks,etc. before shipping them out.I will phone on Monday.https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/jts-airacuda-22-cal.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:56 pm 
Site Moderator

Nope. Those GunPost rifles are not local. D&R now has a red laminate CZ200 PCP in stock. There is a local guy who was selling an unregulated Artemis PCP in .22cal at the Slovak gun show last year but I can’t remember his name.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:37 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
TCooper wrote:

Are they local? Can't find any here. I won't use EMT so it has to be local or from a store. I'm looking at this one.Apparently this store checks the guns for leaks,etc. before shipping them out.I will phone on Monday.https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/jts-airacuda-22-cal.html

Those standard .22 or .25 Airacudas shoot very well, according to all the testing on them on U-tube.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:45 am 

Well up to this morning I was torn between the Beeman Chief and the Airacuda for my first PCP. But for just a few bucks more the Airacuda is twice the gun over the Beeman and would be the best entry level PCP....Also I suppose a hand pump would do if I keep topping it off after 20 shots or do...should be doable until I get a 12/120 volt compressor....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:46 pm 

A little late to the party, but I own 10 PCPs. Mostly pistols, and 3 rifles. Only 1 leaked directly from the store. I won't name the store because it's not the store's fault. It was an Artemis PP700. A low-end PCP pistol, but a ton of fun. Total fluke because most people don't report leaks from this gun.

2 leaked from private sellers. A PP800 pistol and one Sig rifle.

As mentioned before, it's almost always o-rings. The fix is always fairly straightforward, and you get to learn your gun.

Some people get lucky, just like with computer hard drives. For some, their hard drives never fail, for others its just one bad luck after another.

Keep your silicone oil on hand (as mentioned before), get your hands on some compatible o-rings, and "don't fear the leaker". (Hilarious!)

Here's a ray of sunshine for you: Cheap compressors ... now THOSE break. hehe. The linchpin to PCP is the compressor aparently. Knock on wood, my 300$ compressor hasn't failed yet, but only served up dozen cylinders so far.

Keep your pump handy even when you get a compressor .. and don't forget the oil/water separator. ;)

Cowardice is never rewarded.