Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:01 am 

Which semi-auto air rifle would you consider "worth it" in Canada?
Which semi-auto do you own? .. or want to own?
.. or why would you stay away from semi-auto .. etc.

One of my absolute fondest memory as a kid was using a semi-auto bb gun at a fair or Midway as we call them around here.
I remember how fun it was trying to hit those targets. Plink plink plink plink ..

As an adult, a Midway bb gun doesn't really cut it, as I much prefer a pellet rifle (although BB guns are still a blast!) and so I did a bit of poking around our Canadian airgun stores to seek out some semi-auto air rifles. The closest thing to the Midway bb gun is the Umarex Steel Storm, which I own. The kid in me wanted to love the Steel Storm yet the adult in me wants the accuracy of a pellet.

So far, the only pellet rifle that seems to play the part is the Sig Sauer Virtus MCX .22 Cal PCP Rifle.

Not being fully educated on all the airguns available in Canada, only having been in the hobby for a year now, I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions.

Looking for advice for next purchase. Spring is in the air!!!

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:12 pm 

I always wanted a Steyr but I will have to wait until I win the lotto.

https://www.airgunsplus.ca/shop/steyr-h ... -cylinder/

Attachments:
Screenshot_20240417-170842.jpg
Screenshot_20240417-170842.jpg [ 211.88 KiB | Viewed 1041 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:38 pm 

I love my non-PAL Umarex Ruger 10/22 CO2 pellet rifle. Very accurate, and with a little tuning the trigger and bolt action are pretty sweet.

Is it a ''Best Choice''? Maybe in the backyard-plinkers category, always depends on your needs/priorities.

I never tried an HPA semi-auto airgun.

:drinkers:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm 

I asked Wes about the Artemis M50 semi auto, but the shroud has a piston that the muzzle air is used to cock the gun, so the RCMP won't allow it. I have a MCX, the first version of it. The semi-auto is very cool, but the velocity isn't great.

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 am 

Yeah... Might be the MCX is the best choice for this moment... It looks cool works fine... Accuracy... Should be better than a BB gun.

I have the first generation too. However the overly Canadian style detuned make it a shame!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:29 am 

airmec wrote:
I love my non-PAL Umarex Ruger 10/22 CO2 pellet rifle. Very accurate, and with a little tuning the trigger and bolt action are pretty sweet.

Is it a ''Best Choice''? Maybe in the backyard-plinkers category, always depends on your needs/priorities.

Can vouch [emoji1360]. Very fun to shoot especially with its rifled barrel

J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 am 

Skanzy wrote:
I always wanted a Steyr but I will have to wait until I win the lotto.

https://www.airgunsplus.ca/shop/steyr-h ... -cylinder/

Wow!!! Keep on aiming high! That's a beaut and a beast. Let us know if you ever get your hands on one of those!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 am 

airmec wrote:

Of course "best choice" only means what I had in my mind and you guys are all mind readers! Doh!

Should have clarified. I'm just a backyard 10 yard plinker that occasionally goes plinking on crown land.

PAL rated or not doesn't matter because I can just stick to crown land for PAL stuff. It's nice to be backyard friendly however.

Your Ruger 10/22 looks pretty sweet. I searched on the forum for this gun after your comment and it's now on my list of potentials. Much prefer HPA, but a good plinker is a good plinker.

Thanks airmec.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 am 

Castle02 wrote:
I asked Wes about the Artemis M50 semi auto, but the shroud has a piston that the muzzle air is used to cock the gun, so the RCMP won't allow it. I have a MCX, the first version of it. The semi-auto is very cool, but the velocity isn't great.

Rich

Drool. That would be nice. AR stock. Powerful semi-auto PCP. Crying shame we can't have these. There are soo many we can't have.
When we look at shops like Pyramid Air in the US and its practically raining semi-autos. The product availability in the US compared to what we get here is such a bummer sometimes.

The US gets the Hatsan Blitz .. yay! ... we get the Umarex Steel Storm, crosman bb guns and low-end plinkers.

The best guns are always sold out in Canada and indicates some major supply chain issues and roadblocks.

Sigh. PAL holders need more leeway in Canada.

I can understand the shroud/moderator thing, even though I don't agree with it, but this is preventing us from getting the rifles we want. Of course we wind up buying cheaper stuff or settling for something we never really wanted.

Typical Canada: You want an Artemis M50 you say? ... well how about a Crosman DPMS bb gun? You want a Hatsan semi-auto? ... sure we have Crosman bb guns.

Just like with finding workhorse pistols in the medium price range. In Canada our choices are: BB guns and 4000$ olympic pistols. Everything in the middle tier is just not available. Perpetually sold out, shipments choked.

M50 looks awesome. Sorry about the TLDR .. a wee bit of frustration there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 am 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah... Might be the MCX is the best choice for this moment... It looks cool works fine... Accuracy... Should be better than a BB gun.

I have the first generation too. However the overly Canadian style detuned make it a shame!

The MCX has a few variants. The C02 ones can be updated with HPA. The kit looks easy to install.

There is a PAL rated version in PCP and potentially moving to HPA could boost your fpe. I know you to be a PAL holder, and so it shouldn't be a problem to perform a Sig sanctioned mod to HPA. They sell the kit specifically for that purpose, and so talking about it doesn't run afoul of forum rules. The rifle was designed for HPA.

It looks like a good plinker. The iron sights should be perfect for short-range plinking needs.

How does it do with a scope? Even as a plinker, which evokes images of pop cans, fruit and balloons being shot at, I still care about groups.

Any jams?

The PCP reg pushes pellets out with a 1100psi blast which is why it is PAL rated.

Have you considered putting your gen 1 on the chopping block and grabbing a Virtus or is gen 1 an adequate plinker?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 pm 

So far so good. But to be honest i didn't shoot it too much as I usually don't shoot that many shots a co2 capsule can offer in a session even tho I already installed the 12g capsule adapter on my gen 1 MCX...

Jams, looks not really... If I pull the trigger too fast, some times the next shot couldn't index and I need to just pull the cocking handle to load it in manually...

As you mentioned the HPA mod can increase the muzzle speed for me, I could take a look at this option as not really want to get another similar gun because one is enough~ :) thanks for the info~ I think if this one can shoot at over 400fps, I could shoot it more. If it can be as high as the original version which the "PAL rated one" (if exist) for the States, I think I could shoot it a lot more~ [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 pm 

If it were me, I’d get the Virtus. Gen 1 is okay for fun, but not very accurate. Looks cool, though.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:47 pm 

I recently acquired a FWB P75, not quite semi auto but close. Steyr LGB1 is similar, but cocking action is not as convenient. But I did confirm with Steyr that the LGB1 could be converted to true semi auto with a few parts replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 pm 

With practice, it is amazing how fast you can shoot an FX, in any of their styles.
The side lever is amazingly fast and the rifles are extremely accurate. Shooting indoors with mine tuned
down near 600fps, one of the fellows though it was a semi-auto.
This one, a .25 cal. has a 16 "round" magazine. The smaller calibres hold more.

Attachments:
5 coatsTung Oil.JPG
5 coatsTung Oil.JPG [ 376.3 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:30 pm 

You used to be able to get a pump action, after market, accessory for the FX Impact that guys were using for the rapid shooting matches. Not sure if it is still available.