Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Guns in the rain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:41 am 

I know there is a match this weekend with a good chance of rain. Wondering how y'all feel about them getting wet. Rust, corrosion etc..

J.

Post subject: Re: Guns in the rain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:18 am 

Personally, I don't like getting the guns and gear wet. Then I have to pull the action out of the stock when I get home to give everything a good wipe with a Ballistol covered rag. It's a pain but it depends how bad you want to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am 

Sometimes it rains & guns get wet. Oh well, part of the game. Many falls here for deer, moose and elk, it seems to rain every day we're out hunting.
Either that, or snowing. Again, it's part of the game. Dry, clean and oil the gun afterwards - part and parcel with hunting.
I would not use a water soluble oil for rust prevention. I know of 2 guys who did, Big Ron and Taylor and they both ended up with rusted guns due to
high humidity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:05 pm 

I am in between RobG and Daryl.
I prefer to keep my guns out of the rain and might skip an ordinary visit to the range, but for an event like the FT match on Saturday and George's charity event on Sunday I will go out and get wet.
It is pretty simple to strip most guns as far as you need to ensure that they are dry and lubed.
Rob27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:15 pm 

Since I quit hunting when my big game hunting partner died in 2010, I have not hunted them.
Sometimes it rains while hunting, and sometimes it rains while at black powder rendezvous. I
would not hunt in the rain with an air rifle - period - as the game I would hunt with one, is not
generally "out" in the rain. I also would not shoot an event in the rain with perhaps, anything but
the .25 Condor and that is a hunting rifle, not a FT rifle.
If one did get wet, like into the wooden stock around the air tube, coming apart for drying and oiling
would be mandatory. I would likely not shoot a lock-tighted HW97 in the rain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 am 

Ok I gotcha [emoji1360] thank you for the input. I guess it's mostly the matter of time you let it sit after getting wet before cleaning and lubing. Only pain would be the strip and assemble. I'm in Barrie this weekend either way but hope y'all have a great shoot.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm 

I remember back in my time - one year season about a decade ago - every weekend was raining.
We booked the tournament - usually weekends - several months ahead of time, long drive or travel and booked lodging, when we got there it was pouring rain both days you can barely see the targets.
And the events will keep running, stops only when lightening.
And we remember those days as fun time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 pm 

We've shot days in the rain in William's Lake at the 10 day BP rendezvous. The only saving grace, is it's usually not a cold rain,
and the guns have to be cleaned anyway, every day, usually before supper. That's where awnings come handy. We usually have
60 camps at the range and up to 160 people - lots of families, but the old ones are fewer by a couple, every year, it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:12 pm 

I absolutely hate taking springers apart so for me they are fair weather or not at all. You did not ask but in terms of powderburners they are pretty easy to tear down so rain is not much of an issue with them. I don’t own PCP rifles are they rain friendly? I would sort of think so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm 

PCP's are usually easy to take apart - 1 or 2 screws, usually.