Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Gamo G1200...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:38 pm 

This is a cut and paste (slight edit and aditions) from my post in the "Mods and Repair" section. I figured this info would be at home in here...

I have to say that the G1200 is a very nicely designed and built rifle. One can open it up and work on it without parts flying all over. Everything is well laid out and appears to be made out of quality materials for a long service life. The pump return spring actually has a tension preload adjuster built in, it's as if Gamo wanted you to open it up and tinker inside! It is nearly an all metal build with the feed plates, barrel shroud/front sight and trigger being the obvious plastic bits. The valve is very similar to a Crosman unit and one could possibly be modified to fit if the need arose (non existent parts supply from Gamo).

My only nitpicky issues with this thing are that the feed shuttle is plastic and could be the first part to wear (it could also outlast the steel parts depending on the type of plastic its made from). The shuttle linkage is long and potentially fragile. If one were to really haul off on the pump during a feed jamb I could foresee something breaking. It seems that double pumping can cause feed jambs (the reason I first took mine apart). The trigger is plastic with metal inserts for the contact points and has a "mystery" linkage arm that serves (as far as I can tell) to cause the hammer strike to be limited and makes the trigger jump against your finger when fired. This linkage does not seem to effect performance when removed other than increasing velosity and/or gas usage.

The gun does seem to suffer from valve/CO2 cart chill over 10+ shots resulting in a noticeable sound decrease if one continues to fire (I'm going to have to get the chrony out for some tests). A bulk feed of some sort would be a wise mod for those who like rapid fire.

Accuracy seems good. I am a horible shot so I don't really feel qualified to coment other than I can shoot this gun as well as my long barreled 22XX's and my CZ631 in the short 10M I have available in my basement.

I expect that pellet choice is limited to mainly wadcutter pellets as with any inline magazine gun. Copperhead WC feed well in mine so I am happy to be able to shoot cheap ammo available at Canadian Tire.

My gun has been modified by a previous owner so shot count and velosity are likely not at the factory specs of 60 shots @ 150m/s.

The final problem I have with this gun is similar to the complaints most people with repeaters have... I can't load pellets in fast enough and I'm running out of pellets and CO2

This is IMHO a fantastic airgun for the money and anyone who has been thinking of picking one up can't go wrong. Sniper, I hope you still have some of these things left. Some sort of repeater rifle should be on every ones gun rack and these are really nice non-PAL plinkers.

MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:52 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Hi MB, thank you for the review. To load pellet fast I usually open up
the cover and line up the pellet close the cover load the follower but
do NOT slam the follower because might damage the first pellet at the
very front and cause to jam unless using BSA wad is hard pellet no
problem with slamming the follower. the loader is so strong if pellet
is jam just by slamming the pump handle it actually would cut the
pellet in half.
If you use 3.5 oz bottle with HPA at 1200 psi, you could actually get
over 90 shots or so at the very consistent velocity without any drop
from the first pellet to the end. The CO2 cap thread is actually very
close to the PB thread size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 pm 

Is there a difference between HPA anc PCP?

'If you use 3.5 oz bottle with HPA at 1200 psi, you could actually get
over 90 shots or so at the very consistent velocity without any drop
from the first pellet to the end'

I am running a 200+cc buddy bottle like on the BSA super 10 (smaller version of the Daystate Air Ranger bottle). I am struggling to get two shot with a constant velocity!

Does HPA come with a regulator? and if so could I put one between my bottle and the rifle?

This is the sort of performance I dream of......30 or 40 shots would be acceptable if they were above 11ftlbs!

Still dreaming, I'll sort it eventually..
:)

Pete