Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Gamo carbine sport ???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm 

Is this gun worth $130 ?
Due to the <500fps what does it really shoot now? just under :| 500fps ...or... :( 400fps?
If the fps sucks what can be done to make it closer to 500 fps? is it easy to mod?

...is it reliable/durable ?

:D ...comes with a scope, thats cool, no? I'm asking cuz I can get one for $130. I want a break barrel for a reasonable price. This is .177 cal... which is fine. Buddy at the store said that 495fps in .22 is not worth selling... you can actually see the pellet going *plane crash hand arcing movement* . I mentioned to him that alot of times when they "detune" a >500 fps gun to be <500fps they like to bring it down to <400fps sometimes lower... making it really not worth buying.

anyhoo, whats the pro's and cons about this one? Looks wise, I like it... so actual preformance issues mod-ability if needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:41 pm 

Don't know anything about the gun, but.

r3mot3control wrote:
Buddy at the store said that 495fps in .22 is not worth selling... you can actually see the pellet going *plane crash hand arcing movement* .

If you take a look here at the ballistic coefficient of various pellets in .177 and .22 calibre, you can see that they are both quite similar, with the numbers seeming to favour the .22's slightly even.

http://www.airgunexpo.com/airgundb/pelletbc.cfm

with the muzzle velocity the same between calibres (495FPS) the pellet with the highest BC should have the flattest trajectory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 pm 

jsp wrote:
Don't know anything about the gun, but.

r3mot3control wrote:
Buddy at the store said that 495fps in .22 is not worth selling... you can actually see the pellet going *plane crash hand arcing movement* .

If you take a look here at the ballistic coefficient of various pellets in .177 and .22 calibre, you can see that they are both quite similar, with the numbers seeming to favour the .22's slightly even.

http://www.airgunexpo.com/airgundb/pelletbc.cfm

with the muzzle velocity the same between calibres (495FPS) the pellet with the highest BC should have the flattest trajectory.

Thats what I think... harder hit in .22.

but... what's BC?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm 

BC = Ballistic Coefficient

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:48 pm 

r3mot3control wrote:
Is this gun worth $130 ?
Due to the <500fps what does it really shoot now? just under :| 500fps ...or... :( 400fps?
If the fps sucks what can be done to make it closer to 500 fps? is it easy to mod?

...is it reliable/durable ?

You know, you've got the airgun bug real bad. Just be careful, or you'll end up seeing, then buying a whole bunch of airguns...and later be asking yourself, why did I buy that???

Just my 2 cents.

Aim Small. Miss Small.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm 
yeh its better off to spend decent money and get one or two real good guns than have 6 cheap so so guns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 am 

sateliteblues2001 wrote:
yeh its better off to spend decent money and get one or two real good guns than have 6 cheap so so guns.

but see, my theory is that I may as well get cheap ones until I get my pal... if it's gotta be under 500fps I am NOT spending over $150. If it's gonna cost me I want performance, if I am not allowed to have performance until I give the government money so I can take a test... or possibly $200 to take a course and then take a test I'm sticking to plinkers. When I get my pal then I want to start with a crosman phantom then on to condor then who knows where.

I know the phantoms <500fps are cheap, but they can be 1000fps... I can't bring myself to get such an emasculated one... it's to sad.

...anyways... I just bought a pumpmaster 760. My cousin had one... a couple of my friends had one as a child... always wanted one.

:D ...really I only got 4. I don't buy all the ones I inquire about. Besides I have quit smoking since getting into airguns... 8) if it is a habit then so be it, :| this one wont give me lung cancer or COPD.