Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:36 pm 

Hey everyone,
Does anyone know what tool I can use to adjust the front sight post up and down? The gun shoots too high on the lowest setting of the rear sight.

And while I'm at it, is there any place (in Canada) to buy .22 cal pellets in more than 250 quantities at a time? Local would be best.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:46 pm 

all pellets come in tins (or box crosman)...but bulk
would just be getting a deal for a bunch of tins not a big,say 2000 round tin of pellets....you can just get a better deal buy betting a sleeve of pellets which is normaly 2500 rounds(pellets).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:46 pm 

Hmm... well I found a 500 wadcutter .22 box at CanTire for 7.99, seemed fairly reasonable, but I would love to get something like Gamo Magnum .22 pellets that come in 250 count tins, in say - 1000 or more at a time?

Anyone,

And much more importantly, what about adjusting the front sight post on that B3? Should be the same as for a realsteel AK or SKS (i dont want to buy that $20 tool though).

Thanks!
Cheers,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:52 pm 

gamo only sells there pellets in tins of 250 in both calibers.......even at that buying 1000 shots for around 20 bucks is not that bad!
yes you need the tool like the sks...or a fine slim pair of needle nose pliers.......most just put a red dot on it....shoots great with one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 pm 

Front sight adjustment can be done with either forcepts, or a tough pair of tweezers.

Pellets: Illingworth's Imports sells 2500 JSB Exacts(10 tins of 250)for $60Cnd +tax/shipping. If they end up costing as much or a bit more after shipping as the Copperheads from CT they are still well worth it, much better quality and consistency for almost any rifle or pistol. HTH,

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:29 pm 
Site Moderator

I used a small pair of needle-nose plyers on the front sight of my B3. It's just a threaded post so you screw it in/out. If you're handy, you might be able to make a tool from some small metal tubing.

H&N and RWS .22 pellets come in 500 per tin. You can buy them by the sleeve too. My B3 did well with RWS Super-H-Points.

http://my.tbaytel.net/~coopers@tbaytel. ... %20Review/

HTH,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Mulby wrote:
Front sight adjustment can be done with either forcepts, or a tough pair of tweezers.

Pellets: Illingworth's Imports sells 2500 JSB Exacts(10 tins of 250)for $60Cnd +tax/shipping. If they end up costing as much or a bit more after shipping as the Copperheads from CT they are still well worth it, much better quality and consistency for almost any rifle or pistol. HTH,

Mulby

I'll second Mulby on this one......JSB Exacts are loved by most of my goodies if not all, and the folks at Illingworthare great to deal with......they'll even do C.O.D. ..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 pm 

edholton,
I have a cheap Crosman Reddot, but when I put it on and screwed on as hard as I could, it slowly lost zero, and moved back off the rail after a couple of shots (even worse was with a tasco scope, after 3 shots, the scope moved back far enough for one of the rings to not be in contact with the gun) Besides, I like the military SKS/AK styled sights. Looked damn good with that scope and the stock folded though...

Mulby,
I will definately consider those, although seem kinda pricey compared to the pellets at Walmart/Canadian Tire (wadcutters) and the Gamo Magnums at Lebaron.

TCooper,
I have read that wonderful review a while ago, way before I got the gun (I got the gun yesterday from fallen36 :))
Ill try to find a way to use basic tools, if not, I guess I have to blow $20 plus shipping on the SKS/AK sight adjustment tool.

Any ideas on any good/interesting mods for this one? How about putting a nice real steel (Russian or similar) AK grip? Or maybe something NON plastic to replace that plastic piece on the stock?

Are spare barrels available for a shorty B3 project (while still having the chance to switch back)?

Thanks for all the replies!
Cheers,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 pm 

Hi There Ancorp,

The Crosman red dot will not work. I tried it before and it too kept moving. The B3-1 has a heavy recoil. You will need to use a good scope that is springer friendly. Plus you should try to get a scope stopper added or a scope mount like the B-Square 1 piece unit. There are 4 screws to tighten the base so that it will not move. You can get one from Edholton at the Markham Lebaron location for something like $60.00. Damn pricey but works. By the way, Ed likes Tim Horton's coffee, double double...

As for the tool to adjust the front sight, long needle nose pliers is all you need. $5.00 to $10.00 at CT.

Take care and enjoy the rifle! God knows I like mine!

NIGHTHAWK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:32 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Alex,

I doubt you will find spare barrels. I'm not even sure you can remove the original one without much grief.

My review likely states how to deal with the sliding optics. I used Goop with good results. It's about $5.00 per tube and it can be pulled off when you want to remove the optical sight. Another option is to drill through the rail and install a small bolt to stop the optics from slipping. I couldn't get a drill bit to cut deep into the hardened rail so I gave up on that idea. Apparently, a harder drill bit will work.

If you don't like the brown bakelite insert in the buttstock you can remove it and go without.

You won't be adjusting the front sight continuously so heavy-duty tweezers or needle-nose plyers will work fine.

HTH,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:08 pm 

Hey NIGHTHAWK,
Although it sounds like it would work perfect, I dont really want to spend $60 just to be able to mount a scope on a $80 rifle. And yes indeed, its a damn fun springer ;) Even though I got mine yesterday, I put about 200 shots through my friends, so its all good.

Hi Todd,
Well I guess I'll forget about shortening the barrel, as I will always want the option to go back, and looks like thats not happening (maybe I'll just buy another B3 :))

I prefer having something on the stock to grab onto thats not made of steel, so I guess the plasic stays.

I'll adjust those sights (I'll pickup some needle nosed heavy duty pliers at CanTire as NIGHTHAWK suggested, damn I was there a couple of hours ago...) and consider adding a scope some time later, using Goop as you suggested. Heh, looks like I need to re-read your review more carefully.

Thank you to everyone that has replied, its much appreciated!

Cheers!
Alex