Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 pm 

Is anyone questioning the RCMP on How they made this descion. Is there any appeal going on? It seems to me that with the gun regsitory going to be gone they need to reinvent themselves as protectors of the Canadian people. They should do what they do best. Tracking mad trapers,spying on unions and folk singers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:32 am 

Unfortunatley, no one knows what the Royal Canadian Monkey Pumpers are going to do next.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:46 am 

red dot wrote
Quote:
Is anyone questioning the RCMP on How they made this descion. Is there any appeal going on?

I encourage every airgunner to write a protest letter about that nonsensic reclassification to Hon. Vic Toews, the Minister for Public Safety (Toews.V@parl.gc.ca). He is responsible for the RCMP.

mechanic 1908 wrote
Quote:
the Royal Canadian Monkey Pumpers

That's a good one! I had a nice laugh this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 pm 

Greetings all. The letter idea is a very good idea.We should try to stop or have khowlegable gunsmiths look at what is going on here.It wasn't that long ago that the RCMP start putting ultra light pellets in numerous airguns and they would shoot over 500fps.It was a huge mess and the law had to be changed with the addition of the foot ponds and joules to stop this. There is no doubt in my mine that they are trying to reinvent themselves in to something like the American ATF. They are stinging with anger at losing control of the registory and are out to show the Canadian public that they are standing on alert to protect the Canadian public from waves of easy to convert airguns.I will be writing that letter but I think it would have more clout in a petition from us. Have 5 nuetral Gun Smiths, lokk at the airgun.If it can be converted with common tools in a short period of time at little cost. Then the gun should be round up and destroyed.My feeling is there is much more has to be done to have it firing 7.62mm rounds at full auto.The mag is hugely different.I don't khow about the breech block but a gas regulator and possible a gas piston and rod, need to be installed,and then there is the barrel with proper fittings.Most likely any rank amatuer would most likely blow themselves up.This is the time to put the RCMP in their place.not handcuffing store owners who may or may not have brought the gun in the with the right procedure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm 

What is legally considered the firearm in Canada is the receiver.

If you check the CFC's bulletin to police you see that the receiver being used is the Type-56 version of the AK-47:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bull ... 82-eng.htm

If you check the list of firearms prescribed as prohibited you'll find all of the Type-56 variations:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm

Whether you take one of these and turn it into a single-shot centrefire or as in this case a sub-500fps BB gun, the receiver is still a prohibited firearm.

In this case it looks like the mistake was the initial failure to correctly identify the prohibited receiver which these BB guns were built upon. I don't know which agency, if any, actually inspected this firearm prior to importation.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:04 pm 

Some very good info DHB. Is there pictures of both recievers? If they are exactly the same, then it is the end of the dicussion.Who makes this judement. An RCMP gunsmith or a respected authority? Are there any pictures of the two recievers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:29 pm 

If it's an unfinished receiver, requiring extensive machining to complete, it's not a receiver at all, and not even a firearm, let alone prohibited.