Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:57 pm 

I'm buying myself a Hatsan AT44 non-PAL rated repeater, should I pick the .22 or the .177?
I'm not hunting and would like to shoot in the backyard, is one louder that the other?
I like the .22 for it's ease of loading in a small clip, I already have pellets in both calibers as well as pistols and rifles in both calibers.
Is one rifle more accurate than the other? Does the .177 have more shots per fill than the .22, if so how much (if it's less than 10 shots it's not really worth it)?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm 

I have the .177 Hammerli Pneuma which is basically the same gun and I get 60 shots on a fill with full power pal rated gun. I understand you would get approx 130 plus shot,s from a non pal gun. I,m sure somebody here has more precise number,s.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:10 pm 

My non-PAL AT-44 in 0.22 gets over 120 shots from 200 bar down to around 80 bar or so. As to best caliber, I would think that with this gun, it's personal choice. HTH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 pm 

So around 10 shots between .177 and .22 any other differences?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 pm 

Well only my opinion but to me 22 cal or if your in to FT them 177 cal but for plinking and some pesting 22 cal all the way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 pm 

Thanks for the help, I'm currently at 55% for the .22 and 45% for the .177

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:30 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Well only my opinion but to me 22 cal or if your in to FT them 177 cal but for plinking and some pesting 22 cal all the way

For FT, don't you need the knockdown power of the .22 over the .177?
For me, outdoor non-PAL rifles need to be .22 cal for the satisfying "plink", can punch, etc. The .177 is preferable for indoor or 10m paper and plinking. Now, I'm thinking of an AT44W1022 and associated peripherals for Christmas.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:49 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

For FT, don't you need the knockdown power of the .22 over the .177?
For me, outdoor non-PAL rifles need to be .22 cal for the satisfying "plink", can punch, etc. The .177 is preferable for indoor or 10m paper and plinking. Now, I'm thinking of an AT44W1022 and associated peripherals for Christmas.

A JSB Heavy (10.3gr in .177cal) at 490FPS will down most FT targets (equal or less than Gamo's) consistently out to about 50yards, some targets have more resistance, but most go down pretty easy...I always lean towards .177cal for any type of FT, and at lower velocities I always use heavier pellets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 pm 

Well I have both and like them equally so far but I haven't used my .177 for FT yet.I think as others have said it is all up to what you prefer,that's why I got one of each LOL love them both.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:14 pm 

The .177 at equal velocity is a little quieter than the .22 if noise is a concern.

Benson.