Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman GI 1911
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:56 am 

I recently saw pictures of this gun from the shot show in Vegas. I am looking foward to this because my experience with the witness 1911's was not very good. Neither was the ASG Duty One. :(

I am hoping the Crosman 1911 replica is made better.

I just wanted to post it here and see if anyone else knows anything about this new pistol. Someone on the Pyramyd Air FB page told me it would be released april 15th. Well its the 18th now and still no GI 1911.

It looks almost like the Witness 1911 with a few small visual differences.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/40021

Post subject: Re: Crosman GI 1911
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Thread started on the CR1911 already
topic52201.html

Just a heads up that your new avatar, Looks darn close to the one that one of this forums original members, Wolf has been using for quite a while now. :wink:

member18.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 am 

Hi Bud, I'm curious as to your problems with the ASG STI Duty One.
I recently bought one and the recoil spring failed in it. I posted some pics and instructions in the Mods&Repair section on how to remove the slide and replace the spring, this may be of some help to you.
FYI it quickly chewed up the second recoil spring, so i had to take it apart again and do a minor modification to the recoil spring assembly to correct the cause of this problem. It is now working better than new and no problems yet. I really like this gun and the blowback is alot snappier now. If you want more info on what i did to it, let me know and i will pass that along to you.
BTW thanks for the heads up on the CR1911, it looks pretty sweet!
Regards Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:13 pm 

The problems I had with the asg STI Duty One was that the slide would lock back even with a full magazine. About every 3-4 BBs or so the slide would lock back. I had this happen with 2 of them. So I just got a refund. But I will take a look at your pics anyway. I have no idea why the gun was so defective. It was nice, but I couldn't deal with the defect of it locking back all the time.

I finally found the search option and saw that a thread for GI 1911 had already been made. I really just wanted to see if anyone here knew any information on when it would be released. Sorry I made another topic.

I can't wait to see what the GI 1911 is like myself either. I am hoping some reviews go on youtube before I buy it though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 pm 

Well i'm not surprised to hear you've had problems with some of these blowback BB guns, I suspected they would be problematic from the first time i saw them. The STI Duty One is my first purchase of one of these and i'm not impressed with having to perform "surgery" on it to get it working properly. I am pleased with it's performance now, but some Tech Support from ASG would have been nice.
I do plan on buying some more of these guns, but I think i'll go with Umarex for my next couple of purchases. Like you i hope to see some user reviews of the Crosman 1911. I hope it turns out favorably.
Cheers K.L.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 am 

Yeah it seems the more moving parts inside the gun the higher the change of it being defective. I own two non blowback guns and both work fine. I also owned the umarex HPP and must have put several thousand BBs through it and it worked great.

I think the people selling the guns need to start saying something to the distributors and manufacturers. I paid $100 for my STI Duty One and for it to be that defective was just ridiculous considering the price and mine shot horribly low. Like 2-3 inches low. I would have to lob BBs at cans in my yard. It definitely was not a $100 gun.

Also I can change my avatar if needed. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm 

From my experience a $100 pistol will probably have little quality. Air pistol are pretty complicated devices, so you'll get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:40 pm 

Yeah I hear people say that alot. But I have seen people with 200-500 dollar air rifles complaining about defects and other issues so I doubt pay $300 for an air pistol would really help. The two guns I have left are both well under $100 and both work fine. The umarex HPP I had cost me $70 and it worked right till the day I sold it. I was shooting it just a few days bore I did sell it. My Umarex Makarov and KWC Sig SP2022 both work. Both guns are about $50-$60 last I checked. No problems and I must have put thousands of BB's through each one. I think what matters most is the quality control and Taiwan does not have good quality control. I had three TFW 1911's and they were all defective and the Duty One I had two of them. Thank God I was not stuck with them.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 am 

I was watching some videos of airsoft 1911 models on youtube. I noticed many of them had the same kind in indentation around the button on the slide stop. The little button you push on to get it to pop out is what I mean. I watched several videos of airsoft 1911s and I was thinking maybe the crosman 1911 GI would also be able to be field stripped like the tanfoglio did. Its just my guess.

Also Crosman sure is taking their sweet time releasing it. They are killing all the good weather time here where I live in the US. in few more weeks it will be so hot I won't even want to go outside to shoot it much at all. I will have to shoot in my basement if or when they put it on the market.

I still wish my tanfoglio had worked. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 am 

Just a little update. Pyramyd air has the Crosman GI 1911 product page up. It says it is double action only. That's not very true to the operation of a real 1911. I don't know if its a typo or what. But that's pretty much a let down.

I guess I will try it anyway. If I don't like it I can always just ship it back to pyramid if I buy it from them.

A double action 1911. lol

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:45 pm 

airgunnyUSA wrote:
Just a little update. Pyramyd air has the Crosman GI 1911 product page up. It says it is double action only. That's not very true to the operation of a real 1911. I don't know if its a typo or what. But that's pretty much a let down.

I guess I will try it anyway. If I don't like it I can always just ship it back to pyramid if I buy it from them.

Can you give us the link on it? Crosman is supposed to have 3 different 1911's out this year. Only one will be like the tanfoglio and be SA with blowback the other 2 will be like the Colt Defender and a lot of other CO2 action pistols and have a stick mag.
If you are indeed on the blowback model page I'd click on the "want to get 5% off?" button in the top right corner of every page and report the problem as it's surely a typo and you'll get 5% off your next purchase :D

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
airgunnyUSA wrote:

Can you give us the link on it? Crosman is supposed to have 3 different 1911's out this year. Only one will be like the tanfoglio and be SA with blowback the other 2 will be like the Colt Defender and a lot of other CO2 action pistols and have a stick mag.
If you are indeed on the blowback model page I'd click on the "want to get 5% off?" button in the top right corner of every page and report the problem as it's surely a typo and you'll get 5% off your next purchase :D

Wow, its like the popularity of the 1911 has crossed over into the air gun world. theres TONS of em now, best of the lot are the Umarex Pellet shooter ran of course the Tanfogiolio's

Nyd

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:14 pm 

Nyder74 wrote:
DocGadget wrote:
airgunnyUSA wrote:

Wow, its like the popularity of the 1911 has crossed over into the air gun world. theres TONS of em now, best of the lot are the Umarex Pellet shooter ran of course the Tanfogiolio's

Nyd

I don't think one is better than the other. They each have their strong points.
The German made Umarex replica has very good accuracy for that kind of pistol but nothing can beat the TW for the realism and how it can be disassembled and all the switches and buttons work just like the firearm.
But the Umarex is really a revolver and can be used in double action and the TW isn't really accurate or that well made.
So I think it really depends on what you're looking for... or do like I did and get both (and the Colt Defender which is also a 1911). :mrgreen:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 am 

here is a link for the Crosman GI 1911 on the Pyramyd page.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_G ... 7357.app01

Like I said its listed as double action only. It could very well be a mistake. I might report it and see what turns up. So far checking the crosman page for it and it still says coming soon. The PA page has the in stock date set at some time in July. Great... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am 

Nyder74 wrote:
DocGadget wrote:
airgunnyUSA wrote:

Nyd

Pretty much. Everyone seems to love the 1911 so much it was only time before they made some new replicas of it. I had the Tanfoglio Witness but had problems with 3 of them, also an STI DUTY One made by ASG. I have had bad luck with the 1911 replicas.