Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:57 pm 

as some of you may know, i am currently using a 22 rimfire barrel in my pellet gun. anyways, i spent some time claeaning it with hoppes #9, and found i have a couple burrs in the barrel... anyone know how i might get rid of them? i think my accuracy is suffering because of it... :roll: whatchu think? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

you could try coating pellets with some of that jewelers rouge and shooting them through to smooth out the burrs. Other then that i cant think of anything you could do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:05 pm 
Site Moderator

The burrs should be removed. Where exactly are they located?

Try a variety of pellets when testing that "rimfire barrel". The pellet seals at the skirt so wide skirt pellets might work best... but try a bunch of brands to find what works best. Some shooters have said that RWS pellets are known for wide skirts. The 12" rimfire barrel on my Crosman Mark1 shot very well. I wish I had kept it.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:47 pm 
Admin-2-IC

If the burrs are removed, wouldn't the rifle barrel (bore) size become oversize?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:03 pm 
Site Moderator

Are the burrs in the bore or at the crown?

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:05 pm 

thanx guys. theres one burr about 3" down inside the barrel, then one about 2/3 the way down. the first ones the worse of the two. the crown was done up on a lathe, so no worries there. what exactly is lapping a barrel anyhow? ive heard of it but... yeah :lol:
as for pellets, ive gone through quite a few different brands... havent got to try the rws' yet, cant get em where i live, one store sells em, but just .177... maybe they'll order some for me though!! but so far the crosman pellets shoot the best... not sure why... theyre quite loose in the barrel. other pellets ive tried have a good skirt size, but the head is real undersized... anyone tried beeman? do they have a good sized head? they look like they might... i wanna try some crow-magnums :twisted: those look deadly!

al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:06 pm 

tcooper, do you have any pics of your mark 1? id like to see it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:28 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Killercrow,

Many Beeman pellets are made by H&N. The Crow mag is a Bisley made pellet. Beeman doesn't make anything.
Illingworth Imports (In Canada) sells H&N pellets.

http://my.tbaytel.net/~coopers@tbaytel. ... %20Pellet/

I sold my 12" Mark1 to a guy in BC. Sorry, I don't have any pics of the pistol.
The Mark1 had the breech end of the barrel machined to slip into the receiver without needing the Crosman barrel shroud. The end closest to the bolt was secured with a metal ring and set-screw. The screw on top of the receiver secured as well. There was a metal plug that kept the hammer spring in place.The front sight was handmade and looked exactly like the factory sight but it was dovetailed into the barrel. Ahhh... I wish I had kept that pistol!

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:35 am 

sounds like a sweet gun! i hope to expand on my collection some day.
guess i'll have to sell off my r/c equippment to fund my new-found hobby :lol: