Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:57 pm 

....While in my shop to-day I heard a strange noise, like wind moving a plastic canopy.....I looked up and there was a rat walking across the vapour barrier of the unfinished ceiling section, 2 feet over my face.....Yuck ! .....He paid little attention to me as he traveled through the insulation and back along the clear plastic, slipping under the rafters........I quietly picked up and loaded the P17 and, as he slithered past another rafter, I touched the trigger.....The P17 has a very touchy trigger and I think it caught us both by surprise, especially the rat, 'cause it's dead ! ...At 18 inches (? metric), it's the closest I've ever shot one....holdover, holdunder, parallax ,....at a foot and a half it's just point'n shoot.......Thankfully it flipped away from the pellet hole so no blood dripped on the TR below,....but now I have the ugly job of retrieving it from where it lies , 'cause I can't drywall while the body's across a rafter ......Sorry to carry on, but I'm 6'6'' and the ceiling was just too close to my face when I looked up and had a rat that close ! .....Sweet dreams my friends,...Thumper has left the building..............

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:35 am 

:D Last fall I was shooting in my tool room when a Chipmunk came strolling out to the middle of the floor and stood there staring at me. Lined up the rifle and shot him in the forehead. I like the little guys but not in my house. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:54 am 

I had a mouse in my mud room. I was gonna shoot it, but I was like it's gonna make a mess. So I put out traps. Well the traps failed, so I was forced to shoot it anyways... Well there was a reason why I didn't want to.. But used my P17.

First one I seen in my house in 2 years.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:18 pm 

FYI thumper, usually never just one rat or mouse. So maybe you want to keep your airgun loaded for the next while.

The rule of thumb I was told by a farmer was that for every mouse you see, there are 10 more you don't see.

Only positive is that they have probably vacated indoors for outdoors now that the weather is nicer.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 pm 

BB1shooter,....I know where you're coming from......I've had an ongoing rat problem for a number of years.......Comes from living fairly close to a dairy farm......It's a sport with me , to shoot them from my kitchen window....go through trigger withdrawal if there's a lull in their activity ....I refer to them as 'bio-reactive targets' ......My sons would hang out in my shop with their friends and ,no matter how many times I complained, they'd leave food wrappers and pizza boxes laying around instead of burning it all in the woodstove ....So, you see, ...now I have a rat problem as well as a 'sons' problem ....(they're now in their 30s , but still driving me nuts).....By the way, one 'phoned me to-day looking for a Dremel kit I gave him,...said he'd looked EVERYWHERE ! ....I politely responded, "welcome to MY world" ....

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:49 pm 

Best mouse trap- always works.

When camping, it's the first thing I do, setting it up outside. Thus, no mice even try to come in to the trailer.
All totaled, I average 10-12 mice per night in the trap. My best was 24 and poorest was 4. That is for a week
long camping trip.
Make sure there is enough water in the bottom so they cannot get a purchase to jump out. Peanut butter on
the can works perfectly.
I use snare wire (brass) for mine. Works just fine. You can make a pivoting shelf, if you want to get fancy. The
weight of the mouse trips it- standard pivot, so it resets after every "drop".

Attachments:
bucket-mouse-trap-with-dowel-peanut-butterr.jpg
bucket-mouse-trap-with-dowel-peanut-butterr.jpg [ 67.37 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]
Bucket-mouse-trap-works.jpg
Bucket-mouse-trap-works.jpg [ 7.67 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Best mouse trap- always works.

When camping, it's the first thing I do, setting it up outside. Thus, no mice even try to come in to the trailer.
All totaled, I average 10-12 mice per night in the trap. My best was 24 and poorest was 4. That is for a week
long camping trip.
Make sure there is enough water in the bottom so they cannot get a purchase to jump out. Peanut butter on
the can works perfectly.
I use snare wire (brass) for mine. Works just fine. You can make a pivoting shelf, if you want to get fancy. The
weight of the mouse trips it- standard pivot, so it resets after every "drop".

I got one... I just use a coat hanger and a piece of 1/2" pex as the roller. I just use water, because neighborhood cats might get into it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 pm 

...I've tried the 'can-over-water' type trap.....Every time I checked, the rats had eaten all the peanut butter off the can without falling in (
tall plastic 10 gallon pail) , I even tried placing the pop can at different levels with no luck, probably works best with mice ........Big smart rats, an airgun is the most satisfying method.....don't have a night scope , but I'm working on using a digital camera with the 'night shot' option ....P17, 1322 and 1077pal are my best tools , but CO2 is a drawback, I should've bought a 2100 ....

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:58 pm 

Stands to reason, rats will need even larger traps, so they cannot reach the 'bait' - or use a pivoting trap for them.

It wasn't the design that didn't work thumper, but the size. One video I watched with a pivoting trap worked on both mice and rats
was built on a garbage can, with the entrance 3/4's up the can. They walked through the door, out onto the pivot and dropped into a foot of water.

Lots of videos and building instructions on the pivoting system.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:56 pm 

Daryl,...you may be right, altho' my setup was fairly large I underestimated the size of rats I was dealing with ...To-day I spotted a mouse sized rat on the vapour barrier in my shop,....before I knew it there was a parade of them, nose to tail, running along beside a rafter.....I guess there was a breeding pair in the ceiling.....Anyway, as of this minute, I've shot 6 small ones and another adult since 2 o'clock this afternoon (just shot a small one a few minutes ago) .....Tomorrow I have the pleasant task of removing them from the ceiling (when the blood is dry) ....I don't know where the adult went, but it left a substantial trail of blood ......I'm going to drywall the ceiling by this weekend and seal off the upper vents at the rear outside wall...anything left will be trapped and mummified by summers' end, hopefully .....My health has prevented me from finishing this work months ago,...shows just what can happen when you don't stay on top of things ,.....I haven't been using my shop for a very long time, or I would have noticed this 'activity' much sooner ......Thumper (Vancouver Island)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:38 am 

Nasty problem indeed.
this is a commercial model - for ideas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2PSDVsZ38U

This is the one I was thinking of - or very similar to this - scaled up for rats.

https://woodgears.ca/farm/build_trap.html

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:06 pm 

...Daryl,...That Uhlik trap seems like the way to go,...easy enough to build .....I prefer to kill them outright though ....I reached into a bin at work and had a big one run up my sleeve and across my shoulder and leap onto a raised walkway.....I cannot stress enough how much I detest rats ! ....( I'd say 'hate' but this is Canada, and B.C. at that....and I can't afford to pay fines for a 'hate' crime....lol)....Thanks for the links ...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:43 pm 

About 2 years ago I had a rat living in my shed driving my dogs nuts and I wasn't to fond of it living in my backyard either. I thought the best solution would be to shoot it so I went down and bought a Stoger A30 with scope on sale at Canadian Tire got the scope sighted in and patiently waited for a good clean shot. That day came and I got him in the head and so far am still rat free. I had no idea that would lead to an obsession with air guns and now have about 7 rifles and 6 pistols and still buying and selling. Also have taken it a step further and just got my R-Pal. Love this hobby and this sight is the best!!

Benjamin Sheridan 397P

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 am 

Rocket wrote:
About 2 years ago I had a rat living in my shed driving my dogs nuts and I wasn't to fond of it living in my backyard either. I thought the best solution would be to shoot it so I went down and bought a Stoger A30 with scope on sale at Canadian Tire got the scope sighted in and patiently waited for a good clean shot. That day came and I got him in the head and so far am still rat free. I had no idea that would lead to an obsession with air guns and now have about 7 rifles and 6 pistols and still buying and selling. Also have taken it a step further and just got my R-Pal. Love this hobby and this sight is the best!!

When I moved to the valley. I was like YAY I'll be able to shoot mice/rats.... Disappointed, only one I shot was dragging the mouse trap.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm 

Rocket, welcome to the addiction. Airguns are sort of like duct tape to Red Green. Can never have too many. I'm trying real hard to slow down, but still bought 6 so far this year. Hopefully will only buy 2 or 3 more for the rest of the year.

At least that's the plan. But who know what wonderful buys I will discover.