Canadian Airgun Forum
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

Benjamin Trail NP2
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic69228-15.html
Page 2 of 6

Author:  ricksplace [ Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

voldar wrote:
ricksplace wrote:
To answer your question, Chevota, you don't need trigger locks on long guns in Canada, unless the gun is restricted. Lots of folks use them anyway.

Handguns and restricted long guns must be stored with trigger locks and in a locked case.


Sorry ricksplace, but you are misinformed. Here is what the law says : http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ge-eng.htm


Maybe you should read it again. Trigger locks are not required on non-restricted long guns. It's under "non-restricted firearms". (both storage and transporting) (also note under transporting, all that is required is for the non-restricted firearm to be unloaded).

I carry my non-restricted in a hard case and never trigger lock them. The case is locked (but doesn't need to be). A restricted firearm must be trigger locked and carried in a non-transparent locked case. For storage, I have a separate room dedicated to shooting, and that room is locked unless I'm in it. My restricted firearms must still be stored trigger locked in a locked container, even if they are in the locked room.

Having said all that, go ahead and trigger lock every gun. Always better to be extra safe.

Author:  voldar [ Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

As I said, I have no locked room for storage, nor I use a locked case, so I have to use a trigger lock when storing my guns. When transporting my rifles, again, if I let them unlocked in the car, I have to take the ammunition with me then - because I can't leave the ammunition and gun in the same place (having a hatch not a sedan car). So yeah, I use a trigger lock in that situation. At least this is how I read the law.

Author:  xtremevert [ Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

I also just bought a NP2 Trail .22 1100FPS all weather stock a few weeks back. I replaced the scope with a Hawk 4 x 16 SF and got some nice Weaver mounts for it as well. This gun isn't like my 750FPS Crosman Phantom at all. It shoots totally different than a springer is what I'm finding. I need to hold the gun firm as well and at 65' (approx. 20 yards) I can get 1/2" groupings with Poly Mags. I find the poly mags to be a great pellet for my gun although a little expensive. What I'm finding with this gun is when you change pellets you have to re-zero your scope for whatever pellets you are shooting for that day. I've also found that H & N Terminators are a comparably accurate pellet compared to the Poly Mags in my gun as well. They are very close to the same grain weight and shape so I'm assuming that's why. All around I love the gun. It's fairly accurate and really packs a punch. First day I had it totally dropped a magpie like a sack of hammers at around 30 - 35' so I was pretty impressed. it shoots anywhere from 750 - 800FPS on average and was able to chrony it at 900FPS RWS hyper velocity pellets which means absolutely nothing because they fly all over the place. LOL The scope that comes with it is ok and became a nice upgrade for my Phantom. I also ordered a Stoger Bipod for mine. I will be attaching a couple small picatinny rails left over from my ATI 10/22 kit to the sides of the stock for the bipod to mount to since it seems to like a firm hold.

Author:  voldar [ Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

Xtremevert, thank you for your input ! I thought I was the only one having one (on this site) and for sure I welcome your input about your gun. I am still trying to figure out what it likes and which is the best hold for it. It is still "dieseling" a bit, even though I cleaned the barrel before shooting it the first time. I can't wait to get out again to the range and shoot some more. I changed my scope for a CenterPoint 4-16x40 AO and I am eager to zero it and test it.

P.S. I understand the piston is placed in a reverse position than in the NP version. Maybe this is why the difference than an usual nitro piston springer.

http://youtu.be/voSn5EHUIkI

Author:  xtremevert [ Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

voldar wrote:
Xtremevert, thank you for your input ! I thought I was the only one having one (on this site) and for sure I welcome your input about your gun. I am still trying to figure out what it likes and which is the best hold for it. It is still "dieseling" a bit, even though I cleaned the barrel before shooting it the first time. I can't wait to get out again to the range and shoot some more. I changed my scope for a CenterPoint 4-16x40 AO and I am eager to zero it and test it.

P.S. I understand the piston is placed in a reverse position than in the NP version. Maybe this is why the difference than an usual nitro piston springer.

http://youtu.be/voSn5EHUIkI


Got home early today from work and did some target practice with H & N Terminators again and my last 3 shot grouping was all within a 1/4" on each shot. I'm going to order 4 more tins of these from D & L. These pellets are turning out to be more accurate than the poly mags lately. Very impressed so far.

Author:  xtremevert [ Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

voldar wrote:
Xtremevert, thank you for your input ! I thought I was the only one having one (on this site) and for sure I welcome your input about your gun. I am still trying to figure out what it likes and which is the best hold for it. It is still "dieseling" a bit, even though I cleaned the barrel before shooting it the first time. I can't wait to get out again to the range and shoot some more. I changed my scope for a CenterPoint 4-16x40 AO and I am eager to zero it and test it.

P.S. I understand the piston is placed in a reverse position than in the NP version. Maybe this is why the difference than an usual nitro piston springer.

http://youtu.be/voSn5EHUIkI


Mine likes a firm hold just like Tom Gaylord says. For awhile I thought my scope was messed up but after some research I came across a blog from Tom and he mentioned the firm hold (not to firm though) and it totally corrected my shooting. He also states holding it further down the stock to steady the rifle as which does help from my experience. Like I said earlier though is I do find the gun to be very pellet sensitive. Change pellets and be prepared to have to re-zero for that specific pellet. I don't find my Phantom to be this sensitive. You are correct about the reverse piston. Crosman reversed it to have better performance and less recoil so they say. I wouldn't be able to comment as I've never fired the original NP.

Author:  voldar [ Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

xtremevert wrote:
Got home early today from work and did some target practice with H & N Terminators again and my last 3 shot grouping was all within a 1/4" on each shot. I'm going to order 4 more tins of these from D & L. These pellets are turning out to be more accurate than the poly mags lately. Very impressed so far.


Thank you ! For now I only have Crosman HP 14.3 gr pellets - which I think are accurate enough for the time being. I read that the H&N Field Target Trophy are great too with this gun - not tested yet. Once I find the right pellet for the gun, I am going to stick with them. Thank you again for sharing your experience with the NP2.

Author:  voldar [ Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

For those who might want to know, the NP2 in Canada comes without the sound suppressor system. It gets this plastic "thingy":

Image

Author:  xtremevert [ Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

voldar wrote:
For those who might want to know, the NP2 in Canada comes without the sound suppressor system. It gets this plastic "thingy":

Image


pretty sure they all have that according to the Shot Show vids I've seen?

Author:  xtremevert [ Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

voldar wrote:
For those who might want to know, the NP2 in Canada comes without the sound suppressor system. It gets this plastic "thingy":

Image


Can you show me the end of your sound supressor please? I think I have the bottom one.

Author:  xtremevert [ Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

how did you remove yours?

Author:  voldar [ Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

From here : http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... c=59616.20

Quote:
Below is a post from a Canadian vendor on another forum who has first-hand experience with this new "NP2". I just copied/paste it here for you all to see rather than post a link to the complete thread (it's quite a long thread with a lot of "speculation" in it...didn't think you wanted to read through all that ;)).

Hope it sheds some light on the subject:

I looked at the internals of one of these guns today- and a complete rifle. It is not a B18/B19 platform, really, it is some sort of in-between (B18/19-B22) with a larger (diameter) piston and tube to match- so it would have some increased power compared to the previously existing B18/19 units. Crosman has a new designer/engineer that is about 25 years younger than has been typical (I spoke with him directly at length on the changes) and some of the parts will be made in the USA and they complete rifles will be assembled in the USA (not China). For differences with the current rifles- the gas strut is inverted, the piston has an insulator behind the piston seal to cut down on vibration (similar to what Norica has on its pistons in the higher-end product) and three Teflon 'bumps' on the rear end of the piston so there is little undesirable movement between the piston wall and the tube (but also meaning that eventually the piston could wear these down and become progressively noisier with much use/age- i.e. a noise level more like what is on most springers now.

Beyond that, the barrels are actually quite short- 16", but there is an extra 6 inches of shroud on the end of them holding the suppressor (Canadian versions are having the baffle setup replaced with a solid piece). In all honesty, 6" of the shroud could be cut off and the insert thrown away for a carbine-type setup- it would be the same amount of muzzle noise either way. Apparently, upon testing extensively, the difference between a full-on 18" barrel and a 12" barrel was not that great- about 5% difference between the two extremes (confirming what I always said about the B18/19 platform- a few inches more barrel would not produce cost-effective results). The cocking slot is not a 'slot' at all anymore (apparently there were some cocking arm-strut rubbing issues at times)- it is more a cocking channel- and does not go through the entire piston casing and the cocking arm is a one-piece unit with no joint- so the cocking leverage is higher with little chance of the cocking arm bending if someone cranks it too hard (which they tell me is essentially how people occasionally bend the cocking arms currently)- the arm pushes into the piston at an angle in comparison to the jointed arm to keep it in the channel without having to go right through the wall with an expanded end like most springers now- if it all holds together it should be a more powerful, smoother shooting product- but not cheap, it will be pricier than the current NP rifles (not sure exactly how much- looks likely to be about 10-15%

The trigger is also apparently better than has been the case on these types of rifles, but is also not up to par with the GTX/GTR aftermarket units (designer admitted he studied these triggers and tried to implement a design more akin to them, but due to production lead time and cost, could not implement- so the second stage adjustment is better, but not yet what could be achieved. This is not to say it is the same trigger design as the current B18/B19/B22 units- so a different aftermarket trigger may be required to get the best trigger possible, or maybe the same units that exist will work-but this won't be known until someone gets a complete trigger block apart in their hands, Crosman is not stating anything either way.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:53:07 AM by HappyHunter »
Logged

Author:  xtremevert [ Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

you guys are crazy technical! LOL anyhow had some fun with some firebird flash targets tonight. WOW are those things awesome!!! LOL big bang, big puff of smoke and the neighbours started texting what's going on! LOL good times. Chevota, hats off to you brother with knowledge and research. Thanks for the zip file man! Crazy good stuff in there and awesome tuning tips. greatly appreciated. bought another Phantom yesterday and installing a Quest 1000 spring in it as well.

Author:  Chevota [ Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

The NP2 is a stretched version of an older gun I call the NPSS, but you can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/o8salb8 Plus they added the rubber deal in the piston, buttons and better suppressor. I also have the NP2 parts diagram for comparo, which apparently Crosman isn't sharing. I'd post it but it shows the suppressor which is apparently not allowed, but if anyone wants it you can email me chevota at hotmail and I'll send it. Assuming that's not breaking the rules?
So the NP2 trigger is the same old trigger from ten or whatever years ago, nothing new at all. Attached is a diagram of it if anyone cares. It's similar to the aftermarket gold triggers in function, it just goes about it a little differently. The only mod most people do or need is replacing that coil spring with a lighter one. Mine was ~5lbs pull oem, now stage one/two is 16/24oz. You can't see the first stage part in the sketch, but it's a fixed high point half way between the hole and the screw, so for stage one that part pushes the sear, then the screw pushes the sear for stage two. The gold triggers it's opposite, the screw is stage one and the fixed part is stage two.
Those "bumps" are buttons, and they prevent the piston from tearing up the receiver when cocking which can be a problem with this gun design.
xtremevert: You are welcome, glad to help.

Attachments:
NPSS Trigger.jpg
NPSS Trigger.jpg [ 27.21 KiB | Viewed 1455 times ]

Author:  xtremevert [ Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Benjamin Trail NP2

Chevota wrote:
The NP2 is a stretched version of an older gun I call the NPSS, but you can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/o8salb8 Plus they added the rubber deal in the piston, buttons and better suppressor. I also have the NP2 parts diagram for comparo, which apparently Crosman isn't sharing. I'd post it but it shows the suppressor which is apparently not allowed, but if anyone wants it you can email me chevota at hotmail and I'll send it. Assuming that's not breaking the rules?
So the NP2 trigger is the same old trigger from ten or whatever years ago, nothing new at all. Attached is a diagram of it if anyone cares. It's similar to the aftermarket gold triggers in function, it just goes about it a little differently. The only mod most people do or need is replacing that coil spring with a lighter one. Mine was ~5lbs pull oem, now stage one/two is 16/24oz. You can't see the first stage part in the sketch, but it's a fixed high point half way between the hole and the screw, so for stage one that part pushes the sear, then the screw pushes the sear for stage two. The gold triggers it's opposite, the screw is stage one and the fixed part is stage two.
Those "bumps" are buttons, and they prevent the piston from tearing up the receiver when cocking which can be a problem with this gun design.
xtremevert: You are welcome, glad to help.


Hey Chevota, I'll take a copy of that NP2 parts break down please. That will definately come in handy. Would you mind e-mailing it me please?

Page 2 of 6 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/