Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm 
Supporting Member

I've been wanting this gun for quite a while, but was unsure about spending so much. All of my other rifles are of the "inexpensive" variety, but they all work beautifully after tuning and some mods. How could a Diana be that much better? Now I'm going to find out.

Of course, being very married for the past 50 years, I couldn't just go ahead and get one. I had to have "approval".

Yesterday my wife came home from being in Lethbridge all day, and I suggested we go to a nice restaurant where she could have a glass of wine and relax in a pleasant atmosphere.

Ok. That last sentence is a lie. Actually she suggested we go for an early supper. She wanted a glass of wine and we didn't have any in the house so my contribution to the conversation was to say "Ok." I'm such a smooth talker. :D

So we got into her new car I drove us 20 minutes down the road to the finest restaurant within a 20 minute drive, the Twin Butte General Store and Mexican Restaurant. (Live entertainment every Saturday night.)

We sat and relaxed in the dim lighting (no-one else was there so they were saving electricity), she had a wine and I had coffee and we had a romantic conversation while we waited for our chicken chimichangas with refried beans and rice to arrive.

The talk was about this and that, our children and grand-children and air guns and our 50th anniversary cruise from we which we just returned, and.... wait.......What was that last thing? No, not the cruise the other thing. Air guns.

How did that get into the conversation? I have no idea. 8)

In that romantic setting in the flickering light of a big screen tv with the sound turned off my wife realized that I really should have a more expensive air rifle to add to my collection.

The hours I spend tuning, tweaking, modifying, adjusting, re-finishing and occasionally actually target shooting will pay big dividends when the zombie apocalypse comes and I really should have a gun which I won't tear apart within an hour of getting it home. Maybe.

She insisted that I get hold of Kelly at D&L and order one at the first opportunity.

So that's what I did.

Today.

Peter :D

PS: We actually really like the Twin Butte General Store and Mexican Restaurant. They serve great food and they're a local favourite but I know the name sounds a bit bucolic for city folk. The husband and wife owners are really nice too.
In the summer they're a popular spot for bikers all the way from Calgary. On a Sunday I'm sure I've seen $1M worth of bikes in the parking lot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:02 pm 

What a great tale. You've now given every man who wants to add to his collection the secret to getting approval. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:00 pm 

PeterG wrote:
I've been wanting this gun for quite a while, but was unsure about spending so much. All of my other rifles are of the "inexpensive" variety, but they all work beautifully after tuning and some mods. How could a Diana be that much better? Now I'm going to find out.

Of course, being very married for the past 50 years, I couldn't just go ahead and get one. I had to have "approval".

Yesterday my wife came home from being in Lethbridge all day, and I suggested we go to a nice restaurant where she could have a glass of wine and relax in a pleasant atmosphere.

Ok. That last sentence is a lie. Actually she suggested we go for an early supper. She wanted a glass of wine and we didn't have any in the house so my contribution to the conversation was to say "Ok." I'm such a smooth talker. :D

So we got into her new car I drove us 20 minutes down the road to the finest restaurant within a 20 minute drive, the Twin Butte General Store and Mexican Restaurant. (Live entertainment every Saturday night.)

We sat and relaxed in the dim lighting (no-one else was there so they were saving electricity), she had a wine and I had coffee and we had a romantic conversation while we waited for our chicken chimichangas with refried beans and rice to arrive.

The talk was about this and that, our children and grand-children and air guns and our 50th anniversary cruise from we which we just returned, and.... wait.......What was that last thing? No, not the cruise the other thing. Air guns.

How did that get into the conversation? I have no idea. 8)

In that romantic setting in the flickering light of a big screen tv with the sound turned off my wife realized that I really should have a more expensive air rifle to add to my collection.

The hours I spend tuning, tweaking, modifying, adjusting, re-finishing and occasionally actually target shooting will pay big dividends when the zombie apocalypse comes and I really should have a gun which I won't tear apart within an hour of getting it home. Maybe.

She insisted that I get hold of Kelly at D&L and order one at the first opportunity.

So that's what I did.

Today.

PS: We actually really like the Twin Butte General Store and Mexican Restaurant. They serve great food and they're a local favourite but I know the name sounds a bit bucolic for city folk. The husband and wife owners are really nice too.
In the summer they're a popular spot for bikers all the way from Calgary. On a Sunday I'm sure I've seen $1M worth of bikes in the parking lot.

Nice story and my hat is off to you for making it 50 years.

Back when I was married, everything cost me double. Whatever I wanted, then the same amount for her.

Interesting coincidence today though as I was also dealing with Kelley at D&L. In my case, whats coming has a blue stock :) :) :)

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:47 pm 
Supporting Member

Umm, Weihrauch 97? Beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:28 am 

PeterG wrote:
Umm, Weihrauch 97? Beautiful!

Yessir.

BOTH of us have fantastic rifles on way!!!!!!!

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:25 am 

Model 34 one of my fav had many in both cal your going to be pleased .............

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42 pm 

I purchased exact same gun about a year ago, from D&L, beauty! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:43 am 

Hey Peter, they shipped mine yesterday :)

Not holding my breath for Christmas, but at least there is a small chance it may arrive by then.

Regards

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:48 pm 
Supporting Member

They shipped mine too. :D

peter :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:25 pm 

Great choice. I have the 34 Premium in .22. Love the power the .22 delivers. I imagine the 177 has its own advantages.

I really like the premium stock. The dark wood is very nice. The rifle is not too heavy and has a nice sleek body. Very smooth shooting and holds very nice.

The accuracy is amazing. With open sights I had a group of sub 1 inch at 20 yards. With a scope Dime size at 25 yards can be done on a bench.

First day hunting I took 3 partridges at up to 35 yards. Devasting on small game.

I have a 460 but equally like my 34P.
Enjoy.

Nayeem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:20 pm 
Supporting Member

Yeah, I agonized over which caliber to buy, but in the end, partly because I'm not a hunter I chose the .177.

I actually have three .22 PAL rated rifles which would work well for hunting. The only living thing I've ever shot was a gopher who thought he'd take up residence in our front yard. I shot him with my .22 caliber PAL Phantom. I'm fine with other people hunting, it just isn't my thing.

A 900 fps .177 makes a 700 fps .22 feel like a slow-poke when you're target shooting at 25 metres.

The muzzle energies (14.33 gr/8.44 gr) are actually very similar although at 25 metres the .177 will have slowed more than the .22. (At least I think so.)

I understand that the .177 has a flatter trajectory.....Ok. :shock:

I just like the .177 because I do. What can I say? :D

PS: It's Christmas and it hasn't arrived, but I really didn't count on that. I'll just wait until it actually does arrive, and be pleased.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:15 pm 

At the same FPE's, the .177 is flatter shooting. I found that out quite vividly with my HW97 in .177 (890fps) and the HW98 at 660fps, both running just over 14fpe. The .177 was quite a flat shooter with no holdover needed to 35 yards, whereas the .22 needed to run down the mil dots for zeros at the same range - 2nd full dot, I think, whereas the .177 was less the 1/8th mil dot, same range.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:54 pm 

To PeterG,

Good strategy. If I had to work that hard to ask permission, I'd be buying the most expensive gun of my dreams. I'd have gone for a HW97K stainless in laminate stock. Just saying.

Going on 39 years for us, but I stopped asking permission some 33 yrs ago. Now I ask for forgiveness. Easier and cheaper in the long run. I also never say anything when she comes home with a new pair of shoes she needed so badly.

Have fun with the Diana. You'll love it. I love my 25 year old Diana 45/34.