Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PDG Pellets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:14 pm 

Just noticed a brand of pellets from the AGS site that I'm unfamiliar with. They're called PDG (Pretty Damn Good) Pellets and they're made in Argentina. Any member on this forum have experience with these. I'm curious about their accuracy and quality. Would they rank up there with the elite pellets like JSB, H&N, or RWS? They're quite pricey as a 250 dome shaped, .22 cal tin would run about $12.00.

Megiddo65

Post subject: Re: PDG Pellets
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:19 am 

megiddo65 wrote:
Just noticed a brand of pellets from the AGS site that I'm unfamiliar with. They're called PDG (Pretty Damn Good) Pellets and they're made in Argentina. Any member on this forum have experience with these. I'm curious about their accuracy and quality. Would they rank up there with the elite pellets like JSB, H&N, or RWS? They're quite pricey as a 250 dome shaped, .22 cal tin would run about $12.00.

The domed are OK and are 19 grains. $12 seems a little expensive. Airgun Depot sells them for $6.99 US. Some of the others types are inconsistent and oversized and only work well in heavy hitters. For the price I would stick with something more reputable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:50 pm 

palmnell wrote:
megiddo65 wrote:

The domed are OK and are 19 grains. $12 seems a little expensive. Airgun Depot sells them for $6.99 US. Some of the others types are inconsistent and oversized and only work well in heavy hitters. For the price I would stick with something more reputable.

Thanks for the response Palmnell! Yeah, the $12.00 listed is quite steep for a pellet that is not top grade. At 19 grains, the pellet is a tad higher than the 15.89 gr. I normally use on my springer. Looks like I'll pass on these tins.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 am 

A smart move I think. What gun(s) were you thinking of using them in? And target shooting or hunting?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 am 

I tried these in my AR2079 and AT44. The best I could do at 20 yards was about 1" groups. They might do better at higher velocities.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:04 am 

palmnell wrote:
A smart move I think. What gun(s) were you thinking of using them in? And target shooting or hunting?

I was thinking of using them for target shooting in my TX200 and Crosman 1322.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:10 am 

Handyguy wrote:
I tried these in my AR2079 and AT44. The best I could do at 20 yards was about 1" groups. They might do better at higher velocities.

Thanks for your results Handyguy! It looks as though they're more suitable for plinking than target shooting. I think I'll stick with the JSB & RWS. If the price was cheaper, I would probably buy one tin to check it out. At $12.00 for 250 pells, I'd rather use CPHP & Grizzly pellets for the plinking aspect.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:38 pm 

megiddo65 wrote:
palmnell wrote:

In both of those target shooting I would use the RWS Meisterkugelns and Superdomes - if you're not already.

Mark

FAS 6004 .177
Cometa Indian .177 (x2)
Beeman P17 .177 (x3)
Crosman 1377 .177
Benjamin Trail NP .177
Colt Peacemaker C02 BB
Luger P08 C02 BB
Sig Sauer 226 X5 C02 BB
FWB 124 .177
Crosman 1077 .177 synthetic
Crosman 1077 .177 woodstock
Benjamin Regal .22
Beeman Silver Kodiak .177 or .22
Browning Leverage .22
Gamo Delta Cadet .177

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:44 pm 

palmnell wrote:
megiddo65 wrote:
palmnell wrote:

In both of those target shooting I would use the RWS Meisterkugelns and Superdomes - if you're not already.

Mark

FAS 6004 .177
Cometa Indian .177 (x2)
Beeman P17 .177 (x3)
Crosman 1377 .177
Benjamin Trail NP .177
Colt Peacemaker C02 BB
Luger P08 C02 BB
Sig Sauer 226 X5 C02 BB
FWB 124 .177
Crosman 1077 .177 synthetic
Crosman 1077 .177 woodstock
Benjamin Regal .22
Beeman Silver Kodiak .177 or .22
Browning Leverage .22
Gamo Delta Cadet .177

I tried the RWS Meisters in both guns and they don't group as well. My 1322 loves the Superdomes and they can group just under half inch from 20 yards out. My TX200 favors the JSB Jumbo Exacts(15.89 gr) as I can attain slightly over quarter inch groupings with those at around 20 yards. It doesn't do well with H&N or RWS. I've tested both guns with a wide assortment of pellets from different manufacturers. It was a long, pain staking process, but worth it as I've narrowed it down to one pellet brand/type that each gun favours. Moreover, for some reason both my guns like the JSB Stratons as well.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:22 pm 

You know favouritism is very unpredictable. You can even have two of the same model gun that prefer different pellets. Weird but true. I have three Beeman P17's, they all perform differently with the same pellet. My Cometa Indians seem completely indifferent. They love anything you put in them and it's down to you as far as accuracy goes. FAS 6004, very picky. But it does seem to love the
cheap RWS Diabolo Basics. Very consistent with them. A combination of weight and skirt size?

About the only thing you can do is on a good day without too much coffee or Earl Grey with breakfast take out four or five guns and four or five pellets. Try them all.