Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should he have called the cops?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:41 pm 

Alright, well something weird just happened to me. I was with my dad & grandpa in my backyard shooting a Daisy Powerline 717, Powerline 953 & a Beeman P17; I know that shooting in my backyard sounds pretty stupid but I had it all protected with wood around it and I even put foam a big foam mattress behind the target. Anyway, I was shooting for about 20 minutes then I went down and started talking with my family and hanging out, no big deal right? About 20 minutes into hanging out 3 cops came from my back gate into my backyard and started asking us questions and saying there were complaints of a "pistol", "long gun" and "shotgun" being shot in my backyard; so, apparently my crusty neighbor decided to take it upon himself to call the cops, he didn't even talk to us or ask us to stop!

To my knowledge shooting these was completely legal? My yard is fenced off completely and I eliminated all factors of ricochets or any problems that may occur... I assume someone here would know the answer to whether or not it is?

(The cops were chill and were only there about 5 minutes, they didn't fine us or anything they just left after they saw we weren't shooting shotguns or anything crazy lol)

Any thoughts? Is this legal?

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:56 pm 

It really is dependent upon your local bylaws. Where are you? In most cities there are strict bylaws these days, prohibiting discharge of any weapon, even airguns. Even slingshots or bows and arrows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:04 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
It really is dependent upon your local bylaws. Where are you? In most cities there are strict bylaws these days, prohibiting discharge of any weapon, even airguns. Even slingshots or bows and arrows.

Really? Jesus, I live in New Westminster. I find it crazy that it would be illegal

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 am 

Looking at a map of your area, I'd be very surprised if there was not a bylaw prohibiting the discharge of any type of weapon. As Gerard says, it is all dependent on your local bylaws. I'd suggest checking into your local bylaws. The fact the cops did not seem very interested in the airguns is probably because they were expecting a firearms violation and were not there to enforce the bylaws.
Then again, I've been wrong many times before!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:45 am 

The city of New Westminster's bylaws site is a bit useless. Can't find anything relevant really. I'd suggest calling them tomorrow and asking about it, or emailing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:26 am 

Calling might prove useless. The clerk or who ever answers the phone, will likely respond according to their personal feelings on the matter, and may not know the actual bylaw. I would suggest you ask whoever answers, to please get back to you with the bylaw section number, and read it to you, or go down there and read it yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 am 
Supporting Members

Why not inform your neighbor when and what you are doing out of courtesy. Might save hassle next time. Other than not knowing what type of gun you were using he did nothing wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am 

There is a BC site that tells you where it is and isn't legal in BC. I looked the other day to make sure it was ok to shoot at my farm outside Qualicum Beach. It appears to be legal here, but not in many, or actually ANY, of the bigger towns. Can't remember what I googled to find it. Maybe "Can I shoot my airgun in my area Vancouver Island" or something like that.
I would suspect it's illegal. The cops though are gun lovers, so I would imagine they'd be lenient.
Plus, if they didn't seize your gun or give you a ticket, I'd say you might be ok.
Not sure I'd do it with an expensive gun, though.

C.E. ProChrono
Caldwell "The Rock" benchrest
Beeman break barrel for shooting bullfrogs
TenPoint Stealth FX Crossbow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:35 am 

Stihltech wrote:
Looking at a map of your area, I'd be very surprised if there was not a bylaw prohibiting the discharge of any type of weapon. As Gerard says, it is all dependent on your local bylaws. I'd suggest checking into your local bylaws. The fact the cops did not seem very interested in the airguns is probably because they were expecting a firearms violation and were not there to enforce the bylaws.

I agree that if the police were okay with what you were doing in your backyard and didn't charge you with anything that you aren't doing anything illegal.
Did the police speak to the neighbour who made the complaint to explain the situation?
Maybe you could introduce yourselves to your neighbour and explain what you are doing. Maybe bring along your dad. I'm assuming you're a young fellow.

I was once shooting a break barrel air rifle at a local deserted beach when a police officer showed up.
Somebody saw a "long gun" and reported me.
Surprisingly the officer told me that I could (and should) do my shooting in my backyard.

I do have a small range in my backyard and my neighbours are okay with it but out of respect I don't shoot while they are in their backyard and I don't shoot anything loud. Some of my non-PAL rated air rifles can be pretty loud with a lightweight alloy pellet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:04 am 

Why don't you asked the police when (if) they were there with you? They should know the laws of your municipality more than anyone here. And sorry, but I can not believe they left the place after five minutes without informing you if the laws of your municipality allow you to shoot airguns in your backyard, especially if they have received a call.

Edit: And I don't think personally that a foam mattress is a safe backstop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:17 am 

Even if the discharge is not prohibited by the bylaws they could try the "Noise" bylaw as a way to get you to stop. perhaps you are below the regulated sound levels but he can start by saying it is prohibiting his enjoyment and peace etc. in his back yard.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:27 am 

New Westminster is a densely populated city. I would be surprised if there are no bylaws prohibiting discharge of airguns in that city. This is a side question, do the police enforce bylaws, or is that left to the bylaw officers?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:56 am 

I'm originally from Sarnia, not a big place but I lived in within city limits and the letter of the law says that technically so long as there is a berm or something to prevent projectiles from going anywhere but the intended target you can shoot on your own property. This would include powder burning firearms! Now wile the letter of the law says this in practice there is a whole host of other charges you would be hit with in relation to "real" firearms. And the police would be less than impressed XD that said regardless, due to air guns being uncontrolled firearms there is no reason why you would not be allowed to shoot in your own back yard! Once again it is entirely up to your local bylaws, but as a point of reference that has been my experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 pm 

Stihltech wrote:

Thanks, I have tried looking into it before and I never can find anything, they don't have it set up very well there's never anything suitable for what I'm looking for

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:40 pm 

notec wrote:
Why not inform your neighbor when and what you are doing out of courtesy. Might save hassle next time. Other than not knowing what type of gun you were using he did nothing wrong.

He's just a little cranky, he's gotten mad at us before for shooting and today the only reason I was shooting was because he left on his Harley and I didn't here him come home so I figured I would shoot a little. I do not like the fact though that he said that I had real firearms such as a shotgun because we have told him before that they were airguns and he understood us, he just doesn't have anything better to do.

Stoeger X20