Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman TR77 NPS
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:47 am 

I'm on the market for a new break barrel, and I want to get a Nitro Piston. I do not have a PAL and one of the only reasonably priced gun I can find that fits my requirements is the TR77 NPS at Canadian Tire. I am also a fan of its styling. However, reviews are conflicting on it. Any thoughts from the airgun community? This is also my first post.

Umarex/Browning Buck Mark Urx

Post subject: Re: Crosman TR77 NPS
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:29 am 

I would recommend avoiding this at the $199 price tag from CT. In the same range is the Diana 240 classic:

http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product ... ucts_id=87

The Diana is sure to outperform the TR77. The TR77 will have a horrible trigger out of the box, whereas the Diana will have a very decent one. The accuracy on the Diana will be much better, as well. The TR77 comes with a scope which is known to blow apart in no time, so you'll be left with the iron sights, which I'm sure will be better on the Diana.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:43 am 

I have a TR77 that was also bought from CT. I really liked the stock short of the buttpad being straight and rather hard. Mine did not shoot very well out of the box and I ended up removing the moulded plastic over the barrel to get a look at the barrel crown. Took me quite a bit of messing around to get decent groups out of it. Still wasn't my favourite shooter until I replaced the piston and nitro spring with a short stroked one. Was a very harsh shooter.

If I may ask, what is your budget? There are many excellent options, if you are willing to wait on shipping from an online source, that may fit. Check out the forum store, Scopes and Ammo, SSSO, D&L or Airgun source to name a few. And don't forget the for sale section. Many gems waiting for the right buyer and some have already been gone through and smoothed out. If you are still keen on the TR77 they are available online as well and usually cheaper than CT even with shipping.

Good luck on your purchase and welcome aboard. Before someone else says it, many of the folks here appreciate a formal introduction. Location, shooting experience, hobbies you enjoy. That kind of stuff to get to know you better and aquaint themselves with you.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:55 pm 

TR77 at CT goes on sale for $150 from time to time. It's a full power spring (950ish fps) with vented piston to bring power back down, so unless you plan to convert it to full power later it's going to have a lot of recoil for the power.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:00 pm 

i have the TR77 NPS and i love it.
i took the return spring out of the trigger and found it to be ok. i found accuracy to be acceptable for a sub 200$ gun. say 3/8 to 1/2 groups at 10 meters from a bench/bag (with 4-16X44 ao scope). i love the stock, it is very easy to cock, and quite. so for indoor shooting, it's great, and that's what i use it for.
mine is completely stock (except for the removal of the trigger return spring). i have had many entry level guns and this is one of my favorites.
it is also my first nitro piston. and i do really love the pistol grip on the stock, and the short length.

good luck!

i didn't find any reason not to buy this gun. it's not a 800$ hw. so for what it is, i think it was well worth the money. i have had mine for about 8 months or so,with no problems or short comings.

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:05 pm 

shot today off rest/bag at ten meters
need to adjust scope to the right a bit

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:10 pm 

when did you get your TR77 NPS quickreply7789?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:21 pm 

quickreply7789 wrote:
i have the TR77 NPS and i love it.
had mine for about 8 months or so,with no problems or short comings.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:25 pm 

When did all you people get your TR77 NPSs? Just wondering because some older posts I read said that it is very hard to cock and has bad recoil, but newer posts had none of these problems. This makes me think that maybe Crosman could have upgraded it for the Canadian market. To answer some previous questions, my budget is $200 and less, and the only online source I can order from is Amazon.ca. Besides, I would rather see what I'm buying before I hand over the cash. Also, a Nitro Piston/Inert Gas is a must, as i like to leave my gun cocked while wandering through the woods in the pursuit of the "chicken of the tree."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:50 pm 

I too own a crosman tr77 and after I took the gun apart I learnt that the later model Canadian non PA
l version <495fps has has the internal cylinder switched from the earlier models. I imagine this was to contend with the port hole modification to push the fps up to the American equivalent , (which I believe is around 1100) . I could be mistaken but this is something I've gleaned from my own research. I could well be proven wrong, as I'm still quite new to this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm 

The cocking on the US version is high, like 40+lbs. If cocking is lighter compared to before then it no doubt had the full power spring and long piston before, probably the super long one (~195mm?). Then to make it easier and nicer all around they must've switched to the light spring and either the long piston (~175mm) or the short piston with a hole.
You can still leave a coil spring cocked while hunting. Imo that was just another truth stretching ad campaign to sell guns. They also used to claim no cold weather power loss but I think they stopped saying that? They also say a gas spring never wears out or fatigues, which I guess is kinda sorta true since they fail by leaking instead, and imo at a much higher rate than any coil springs have issues. A replacement coil spring is ~$13CA, a nitro ~ $52. Now the low power nitro spring is imo better than the regualr one, but few people have them so hard to say. So I'd say get the gun Barfman suggested if possible, or if a cheaper gun is needed then a chinese clone of it like the B25/Ruger Blackhawk, or a different Crosman like the Classic, Optimus, Venom etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 am 

Got my TR77NPS today, dropped off on the porchstep by Purolator. Got it from PA special buy for $99 a couple weeks ago, luckily before the stock depleted, and the item is now off the website.
Nice little shooter, it must be with the version as the others described, very low cocking effort, and very quiet. Pumping through a hundred pellets so far, and it's getting to show it's preference for Crosman Pointed 7.4 gr. It doesn't seem to like the Daisy Hollowpoints, as several of them jammed in the breech, I have to deep seat them in order not to misfire.
Scope is barely adequate, but since there is no iron sights at all, is needed. Too bad it's only the dovetail, no other rail unless I install it, and unfortunately most rails will cost about a third the price of this rifle, before adding rings and new scope.
Trigger got modified immediately with the bearing insert, and now the pull is short, light and predictable.
In all an enjoyable little rifle for $99 with the slight mods. It is a only a few dollars more than my NP Trail pistol, but way more fun and less tiring than shooting with the pistol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm 

Misfire? As in the pellet didn't budge? That's really weird... Often the breech is sharp and can catch a pellet, but should only cut/shave metal off the pellet, not hold it. Makes me wonder wth, like is there some major flaw like serious leakage or a leaky nitro? Best to find those before the warranty expires, so if it's a referb gun that's 30 days. A leaky nitro will give you a light cocking effort, but hard to say what's light w/o a measurement. Even with the lighter spring, which I'm not even sure those guns have, it should still be close to 30lbs. Maybe if you can find the parts list for the gun on the Crosman site, not the regular TR77 but your exact model # which will/should show the exact parts inside. From there you should be able to est the correct cocking effort.
The dovetail rail is fine imo, and I much prefer it over Picatinny. With a low power gun the oem rings should be fine, and are usually fine on full power guns too. If not then one of the aftermarket rings will, like the UTG one piece which are ~$12-15 at Pyramid. They also make two piece which are extremely strong as well, which you may like the looks of better. The once piece is posted here: topic73695.html second post down. Not precision but extremely nice and strong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:31 pm 

IIRC, the cocking effort on my 495 fps TR77 NPS is about 28 lb. Never had problems with jamming pellets. BTW, 7.9 gr. Crosman Premier Match pellets (wadcutters) are the ones it likes better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:23 pm 

Interesting, cocking effort for the TR77NPS is 29 lbs. My NVD is 35.5 lbs. Benjamin Pistol is 37 lbs without the cocking assist. My Grizzly Predator is lightest at 25 lbs. The TR77NPS seems to like all my other pellets - Crosmans, H&N, most of my Daisy's and even Grizzlies. It's just the occasional Daisy Hollowpoints it doesn't like. Not a big deal, only a tin of that anyways, just odd is all.