Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:01 am 

Hello gang - well I'm back and I want the most accurate .22 cal that Canadian Tire has to offer... :roll:

Of the selection, I will likely need a trigger mod based on reviews I read on Pyramyd Air...

Yes my town basically only has a C Tire and I am not ordering one or travelling - so yep - the best .22 that C Tire has...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/sports-re ... ifles.html

Mainly want .22 because the pellets are easier to handle - BUT - if you see a .177 that is Better - please let me know...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:12 am 

Walmart online got Ruger Airhawk 495 for 99$ with free shipping . Wood is nicer than any crosman, built nicer, better trigger, smoother cocking. Honestly thats what I would do. CT just way over priced.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:01 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Walmart online got Ruger Airhawk 495 for 99$ with free shipping . Wood is nicer than any crosman, built nicer, better trigger, smoother cocking. Honestly thats what I would do. CT just way over priced.

Thank-you for the reply,
It is out-of-stock.

There are a few .22 on in-store clearance at Canadian Tire, saving about 40% on $399 & $349 - and hoping members will chime in and recommend one or two...

CT Options:

Legacy Jim Shockey .22 Calibre Air Rifle
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/legac ... 2263p.html

Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Air Rifle .22
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/benja ... 5030p.html

Benjamin .22 Air Rifle
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/benja ... 5033p.html

Benjamin® Steel Eagle Shockey 495 FPS NP2 22 Air Rifle
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/benja ... 6380p.html

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:59 pm 

I really liked my jim Shockey until it gets stolen.
Let me add that canadian tire is often overpiced by 100 even 200 dollars compared to trusty online rerailers like scopesandammo com or airgunsource.com just to mention those 2.
With the addition of the gtx trigger my .22 legacy j shockey was verey pleasant to shoot.

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Benjamin Marauder DougP custom stock
Theoben SlR98 .22
AlEx Custom gun .22 (JezX built masterpiece) :)
Hatsan Atp2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:07 pm 

alextermination wrote:
I really liked my jim Shockey until it gets stolen.
Let me add that canadian tire is often overpiced by 100 even 200 dollars compared to trusty online rerailers like scopesandammo com or airgunsource.com just to mention those 2.
With the addition of the gtx trigger my .22 legacy j shockey was verey pleasant to shoot.

Thank-you for this info - sorry it got stolen....

How far could you reasonably shoot and what kind of accuracy did you get at different distances please?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:14 pm 

You probably won't go wrong with any of the Benjamins, although I have my eye on the Jim Shockey as well. I'm not a big fan of the all the rubberize/synthetic look of the gun, but like it for the Nitro Piston version 2 of the technology.

Enjoy your CT trip!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:31 pm 

badrad wrote:
You probably won't go wrong with any of the Benjamins, although I have my eye on the Jim Shockey as well. I'm not a big fan of the all the rubberize/synthetic look of the gun, but like it for the Nitro Piston version 2 of the technology.

You are referring to the Legacy model, yes? Or the Steel Eagle?

... looking for info that the Legacy is v2..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
badrad wrote:

You are referring to the Legacy model, yes? Or the Steel Eagle?

... looking for info that the Legacy is v2..

CT in my area only has the Steel Eagle, but I think the Legacy seems pretty similar. I saw one at Cabelas.ca http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65728/ben ... -air-rifle, but with the CT discount, the Steel Eagle I saw one time around $260, but that was a while back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:52 pm 

I am left-handed so I like the Benji's that are ambidextrous stock.

I am deciding between the Benji Legacy or the Trail...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:13 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Hello gang - well I'm back and I want the most accurate .22 cal that Canadian Tire has to offer... :roll:

Of the selection, I will likely need a trigger mod based on reviews I read on Pyramyd Air...

Yes my town basically only has a C Tire and I am not ordering one or travelling - so yep - the best .22 that C Tire has...

Mainly want .22 because the pellets are easier to handle - BUT - if you see a .177 that is Better - please let me know...

Thanks!

Hi,

I didn't see anyone ask you about this, but what exactly do you want to do with such a gun? How could we possibly suggest something better unless we know that? Also, do you have a PAL, or are we talking about a non-PAL rated gun?

What's your aversion to buying online? There are many GREAT Canadian dealers for airguns... SSSO, D&L and AirGunSource just to name a few, and personally, I wouldn't buy from CT when there are other better options. But again, it really depends on what you want to do, what your budget is and whether or not you've got a PAL.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airguns!!!

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:35 pm 

Eldor, CT only sells non-PAL airguns :wink: .

Plink-Panther, I have the Benjamin Classic .22 and love it :) . If I'd go NP, I'd probably buy the Jim Shockey Legacy for the adjustable cheek rest, but the Trail NP is also tempting. I must say I also have an Optimus (spring) and a TR77NPS (NP), both .177 and very accurate and fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:44 pm 

I would not buy an NP2 unless it's PAL. I mean why spend the extra $ and not get the associated power?
Btw that Trail with the syn stock is rather heavy at 8lbs w/o the scope. The wood version is much lighter, mine is 24oz lighter. The Classic appears to be have the wood Trail stock.
Still and always will be in disbelief at the prices they charge in CA. Which btw reminds me of one member telling me the Weihrauch guns were not inflated compared to the US. The Weihrauch are already a better deal for what you get, but in CA it's much more worth it to spend the extra $. I'm not sure if they offer non-PAL, but either way I'd make the effort to get PAL. The Weihrauch HW95 is an outstanding gun and probably the cheapest. Worth a look...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:57 pm 

Thanks for the welcome ~
I do not have a PAL and likely not interested.
I am 'mainly' focused on C Tire because of the ease if I want to return it. I also worked in the Sport department in 2015 and know the manager and main firearms dude.

I am not hunting - it is for target at the Tavistock Gun Club and also just plinking.

I now see that the only rifle at CT with the Nitro Piston '2' is the Benjamin® Steel Eagle Shockey 495 FPS NP2 22 Air Rifle...

So if the NP2 is worth it - I may buy the updated versions from D&L (but what does their policy mean by "All Sales Final"?? If I get a dud - I have to deal with the manufacturer??

Two NP Benji rifles are on in-store clearance - so if the first version of the NP is just fine - I am deciding between the Legacy or the Trail

If the NP2 is worth the upgrade - I am ordering on-line...

Mtl_Biker wrote:
Plink-Panther wrote:

Thanks!

Hi,

I didn't see anyone ask you about this, but what exactly do you want to do with such a gun? How could we possibly suggest something better unless we know that? Also, do you have a PAL, or are we talking about a non-PAL rated gun?

What's your aversion to buying online? There are many GREAT Canadian dealers for airguns... SSSO, D&L and AirGunSource just to name a few, and personally, I wouldn't buy from CT when there are other better options. But again, it really depends on what you want to do, what your budget is and whether or not you've got a PAL.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airguns!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:34 pm 

I liked going to my local CT just because they had the sampling of guns in their cabinets and so can get a touchy feely. But I never bought mine from CT other than a 1077 that they were clearing out for $60. While there I have handled the Jim Shockey and the Benjamin 22 when they had them in the cabinet a few times, but they weren't on sale at the time and selling for $370 and $300 - which was so overpriced, but when they did a clearance and selling for $250 and $200 they disappeared to so quickly, never got a chance to grab either one

D&L is a pretty good seller, but yes - all sales are final in that there is no refund or return on the firearm. That said, if you do have a problem with your purchase they will do all they can to fix the problem. From what I heard from friends, it might be sending a replacement part, or exchange if it was needed. You can send them a message to confirm what they would do for those situations.

I like D&L as they do represent a wide range of manufacturers, including Weihrauch (both Weihrauch and Weihrauch Canada) and I have often put my wish list into the cart ... and all the way until the buy and seeing the $$$ ring up, reality kicks back in. The shooting I intended to do couldn't justify the money to put out, regardless how nice the guns would be to have. But YMMV!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:00 pm 

The original NP is so far ahead of a springer that I can't imagine why you would want a low velocity NP2 for more money.

I own 4 or 5 of these, some PAL' some not. I keep getting the names mixed up, but the wood thumbhole Non PAL .22 and the trail synthetic stock both shoot very nicely. Very low noise and non existent recoil.

The synthetic one is heavy.

They do well with inexpensive pellets like CPHP.

Have fun with whatever you choose!