Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:36 pm 

Good day

I've been wanting a nitro piston for the basement range and was hoping someone has some insight on the differences between pal and non pal versions specifically with noise. I don't need the faster fps of the pal version however if there is no noise difference why not just pick up the pal version?

Urban

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:36 pm 

The PAL versions of any gun are louder than the non-PAL versions of any gun. Sometimes MUCH louder to the point that with most magnum air rifles fired indoors (confined basements), one should wear hearing protection- perhaps even with non-PAL rifles, revolvers and pistols.
Last weekend I was shooting my CO2 Talon at the indoor range and it was quite quiet due to the size of the range. The Condor and Texan, however required hearing protection - they were both LOUD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:16 pm 

Input much appreciated.

I have a few co2 models that are super quiet compared to my old Pioneer break barrel however I prefer the break barrel type of shooting. I only have 15 yards at most and I only shoot paper. Perhaps the lgu or the tx200 is what I should be getting but would be shame to get in the lower velocity models. 15 yards isn't much a challenge for those two either. Just seems overkill for the basement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:49 pm 

My non-PAL Crosman TR77NPS (Nitro Piston Short barrel) is my most silent air rifle, and with its weak nitro piston, one of the easiest to shoot (low recoil). Was I lucky, I don't know, but it's also one of the most accurate rifles I have. Not a high-class gun, but a fun, reliable and smooth one. Guess it would be a good candidate for basement shooting. Not everybody likes the ''tactical'' look though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 pm 

I think the TR77NPS looks great. Suspect trigger but that can be upgraded. I don't see any available in Canada right now. I think PrincessAuto may get them time to time at a ridiculously low price. $100? Something like that. Nitro venom dusk is something I may try too. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:01 am 

Something to keep in mind.
There is a PyramydAir blog that has a good article on basement shooting with high fps. Short story, over 600 fps the pellets can explode on impact and create lead dust, requiring more ventilation, deepening on the trap... I think duct seal putty controls the dust..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:25 am 

offroad720 wrote:
Something to keep in mind.
There is a PyramydAir blog that has a good article on basement shooting with high fps. Short story, over 600 fps the pellets can explode on impact and create lead dust, requiring more ventilation, deepening on the trap... I think duct seal putty controls the dust..

Thanks. I appreciate the heads up. I have taken the +600fps into account with my trap. Perhaps I'll add forced ventilation as well. Better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:52 pm 

Everyone has different needs and requirements of course, but the pattern with new people to the sport is generally the same...start out with the non-pal stuff, get PAL stuff, get sucked in to the FPS game, then down the road become more interested in smoothness and shot cycle.

Less than a year ago i got "back" in to all my airguns, many of which had not been touched in 5 or 6 years.

Over the last few months I've been de-tuning a lot of them. In my case, I only punch paper now anyway, usually indoors at 30yds max. Having ruined my wrist and shoulder over the years with recoil (I wonder if my targets ever noticed the difference between full bore .44 Mag loads and target loads :D ) I do not find it pleasant to cock a full power TR-77S one hundred times in a couple hours.

Although I despise the trajectory of a sub 500fps pellet, you really dont need much more for indoor basement shooting.

As for noise, you wont get anything much quieter than some of the Benji trails, Nitro Pistons in non PAL configuration. PAL ones, not so much. the gas ram is much thicker on shaft dia. and WAY stronger. Downside is these rifles are heavy, but if you're benching it indoors, who cares?

Theres some nice oddball stuff out there too, but again, they are NOT powerful.

Like this:

Or this C02 one:

Top one is a 5 shot repeater from Baikal, side cocker in .177.....probably the only way it would ever hit 450fps is if you threw it off a cliff, but all things being equal, it is more accurate than you are.

The bottom one is an Xisico C02 in .22. They are sold as non-pal and are one of the more refined Chinese air rifles. Two C02 carts and you are good to go. Again, unless something is wrong with it, its more accurate than you are.

Many (do your research) non PAL rifles can be taken to PAL levels and beyond if that is what you desire later on. You wont be saving any money though, and anyone who tells you to buy the PAL version (if thats what you want) to start with are bang on.

Now, you can also go out and drop $750 on a HW97 non PAL for the basement, OR triple that on PAL or non PAL PCP rifles. As with any interesting hobby, the limit is your wallet.

Being older now, and a little less spry :) I like to tinker around as much as shoot. I buy cheap crap and play around with it, but also have the good stuff to take out and admire as well. I never fool much with the expensive ones, maybe a tune kit and thats it. Higher end German stuff is already very, very good.

Anyway, long winded post, but have fun!!