Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:30 pm 

So, my PAL is on the way, and I'm torn between a higher powered airgun or a powder burner.
I've been researching the advantages and disadvantages of each and I'm starting to think that for my purpose I may just stick to airguns.
I'm not going to be hunting, so other than the wow factor and bragging rights I don't really need a big bore gun. I'll mostly be doing informal target shooting. Some indoors, some outdoors.
My reasoning for leaning towards to the airgun is:

-long term ammo cost savings
-Some have adjustable power levels available to change up depending on shooting situation
-shorter lethal range making it easier to find shooting locations outside without as much danger to others
-possibly ammo availability (no shortage in .22 pellets vs .22 rim fire)
-I've already got a hand pump and am familiar with pcp guns (assuming I don't get a Springer)
-possibly less noise

Am I missing anything?

I'm considering a Condor or a AA S410 at this point.

Thanks for any thoughts or info that I may be missing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:56 pm 

Really depends on what you want to shoot with your gun, air gun much quieter, draws far less attention, I have two Diana`s but I also have a 22 Ruger and a 12 guage Defender, and dreaming about a 223 Sako, as well as a PCP. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:50 pm 

I still shoot both. I normally take the PB's out once or twice a month. Airguns get our 2-3 times a week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:05 pm 

Sounds like you answered your own question. For now, it looks as though a high powered air rifle will satisfy your needs. Pellets are definitely cheaper than PB ammo. If you're shooting within the 50 yd range, an air rifle will do the job. The PAL will definitely give you options in the long run if you decide to venture into the PB world. I personally shoot both depending on my mood.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:10 pm 

I must say, air guns are useful if there are nasty bears around..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:12 pm 

Or, you could get a REAL powder burner.
The video started after I had dumped in the powder charge and placed the cloth patch and ball on the muzzle.

This is my .45 Pennsylvania-styled rifle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:22 pm 

Those are great Daryl!

Maybe I have already answered my own question?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 pm 

Daryl, that sure looks like fun ... I wish I was close enough for a visit!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:29 am 

I have both. I shoot my air rifles way more often. If you can only have one, you will get to use an air gun more often.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 am 

I realize this is an airgun forum and likely influences the general consensus somewhat, but it does seem the vast majority of users are suggesting an airgun is more versatile and will likely get used more often. I think those are the two main factors in my consideration. I'm definitely leaning towards the high power airgun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:38 am 

Why not do both? When I got my PAL I started upgrading my airguns but have a few powder burners I'd like to get. For now I'm enjoying the new life the air guns have at higher powers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:39 am 

Same boat as you, I got my Pal a few months ago and before it even arrived I was perusing websites for deals on a PB, from .22 bolt action to SKS as I was gung-ho in wetting my appetite for the smell of powder (if one can consider fumes a meal)

Then reality sets in:
1- You're a city dweller like me - which means paying for a yearly membership at some range. Not sure about Winterpeg but here in Cowtown these aren't cheap. Too bad we're too far from Daryl's range, I wouldn't give it another thought if I could be a member of his fantastic range. Have a friend that has a farm and that's the only reason why I'm still considering getting a PB but even then there are a lot of restrictions that could land you in hot water should the RCs spot you shooting without proper safety considerations (think you have to build a proper backstop for one, being unable to shoot anywhere near a roadway, buildings, etc).

2- Cost of ammo. Sure, $10 for small of box of .22 rounds doesn't sound like much but for airgunners that are used to firing shots down the barrel, you'd need several boxes to be happy by day's end. Pellet costs are virtually a moot point, PB ammo adds up in a hurry. Add greatly to the cost if your Ruger .22 dislikes anything but the more costlier ammo. Add even more if you go with a bigger caliber.

3- Maintenance. Be prepared to invest in a cleaning kit and a few hours cleaning the gun after every shooting session. Sure, for those retired or that are blessed with a day that lasts an entire 24 hours, that could be seen as a fun time. Those of us with 3 small kids to raise have no such luxury.

4- Lockup and transportation. We all realize that we should treat any airgun as a firearm, from the crappiest of BB pistols to the $30 B2 springer to PCPs - but owning a PB means really following those rules closely and a possible criminal conviction should an officer be anal about it. I'd imagine he'd be a bit hesitant to charge you with a criminal infraction should he spot a can of pellets sitting beside your locked airgun in the trunk of your car.

Now that some time has passed I'm content in upgrading some of my sub Pal to get more fps out of them without fretting to throw money on a pb. Still plan to get one (or more) but only if I come across a good deal and can shoot it at my friend's farm without having to pay for a yearly range membership.

Only you can decide but the points above should help see some of the cons of rushing to getting a pb.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:51 pm 

Joolz ... are we living on the same planet?
I don't believe the OP indicated a pistol, just musing about the pros and cons of staying with the airguns vs buying a powder burner since his achievement of acquiring a PAL.
Since he didn't mention an RPAL, I'm assuming he is referring to rifles, which does not require a membership at a range, regardless of where he lives.
Cost of ammo is more, granted, but if he is talking .22LR, the price can range from $5 per box of 50 up to $10 so the cost would be around 3 times the cost of pellets ... depending on what brands, etc. If he wants to go larger bore, the cost would escalate accordingly. Then a new hobby would be introduced ... reloading which can be enjoyable and rewarding on its own.
How many guns do you clean at a time? I don't see why it would take any longer then 10-15 minutes to clean your gun ... I clean both my 9mm and .45 and back in storage in about 30 minutes.
You seem to indicate that an airgun does not require the same care in regards to handling and transportation as a real PB ... here is a news flash ... if it is over 500fps, it IS a firearm and requires the very same care with handling, storage and transportation.
There, I'll get off my soapbox now.
As to the OP ... powder burners are a lot of fun and can be considerably cheaper then the high end PCP's, but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, you will probably get more use out of your airguns.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:31 pm 

I see you live just north of me. Mind pointing out a place where one can shoot pb rifles for free around our area? Sure, there are the odd crown land out west but last I heard even that is getting harder to go shoot a rifle. If you know of a place around here that allows you to shoot a rifle without requiring a costly range membership, I'm all ears. Would be just I need to justify getting that .22 bolt action.

Scenario: you get pulled over for whatever reason and cop wants to look at your trunk. Sees an air rifle with a tin of pellets nearby. Would he throw the book at you? Not sure but likely not and unless you shout from the top of your lungs 'it's a firearm!' I don't see how you'd be in handcuffs over that. Same scenario, box of .22 amo alongside a rifle and the outcome may be a lot different. Just in case you misinterpreted what was said above.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:28 pm 

If there are any logging roads in your area - these oft times will have a gravel pit along them somewhere & these good safe & common areas for shooting - just don't make a mess. Take out what you pack in to shoot at.
We have lots of those around here - but a shooting range is much better. Our memberships run from $135.00 to $155.00 per year.

Shooting ranges such as ours offer much more than a safe place to shoot rifles.

At the town range have a general handgun range, Cowboy Action, IPSC, IDPA shoots and sections.

We also have indoor air gun shooting in the main club house in winter time - both 10 meter match rifle and handgun along with indoor silhouette. Some of the guys are talking about setting up for outdoor FT with air rifles for the summer.

In the warmer months, all of the above (except no indoor shooting) with outdoor .22 RF - silhouette & benchrest, along with 100 and 200 meter Powder Burning rifle range at the edge of town.

We also have a 55 target trail walk through the bush for muzzleloading shooting along with it's own BPowder club house & camping grounds in front of the club house. We have our yearly rendezvous there in July- this year, a 3 day shoot.

Too, outdoors has a trap range with 4 houses, along with sporting clay events throughout the summer, spring and fall. A new member here wants to build us a skeet range. WE, of course accepted the offer. Our range has been in operation since 1946.

We have a new property out of town, covering a HUGE area with a 100 year lease. There, we have a new rifle shooting shed with many benches - and is 92' long. A number of us got together a couple years ago, right after my knee replacement and built it. Work on the rang is ongoing, but we've help the Centre Fire and Canadian National Silhouette Championship there once and the Provincials twice. .22 Silhouette championships are held at the town range.

Our current membership is just over 955.

The Blackwater range has target frames at 100, 200, 300, 385 and 500 meters, along with 800, 900 and 100 meters. We also have steel plate targets of SR500 steel, 16" square, from 200 to 1,100 meters as well as a buffalo (4'x8') handing at 100 meters.

Pretty good facilities for a mere $135.00 yearly membership.

100 & 200 meter berms on the town range.

Doing some sighting in on our camping field of the black powder range.

Daughter Carol shooting her mother's .45 caplock rifle.

Fun Targets with a muzzle loading rifle - or smoothbore firing ball - usually at 15 yards.