Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:41 pm 

So now that I've decided on an airgun instead of a rimfire for the majority of my shooting, I need to decide which gun.

I thought I had settled in a Condor in .22 or .25, but not being able to handle one in person I have concerns over its ergonomics and comfort. The only other concern I have is the single shot, I would prefer a multi shot system but that's not an absolute requirement. I'm looking at a pcp, not for hunting but I'd like PAL power levels for longer range target shooting and the option to hunt small game down the road. I'm not a hunter and that may never actually happen. Price is around $900, and no I can't stretch it to $1200 or more for the AA510 or similar models, as a scope will be required on top of the gun.
I've already got an S200 in .177 I like and it can be powered up to 12 ft lbs easily. Just looking for something with a bit more potential reach and with a bit more impact for knocking targets and objects...

Am I out to lunch on the Condor? Is it more comfortable than I've read? Is there anything else similar out there that I've missed?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:29 pm 

In our AIRFT group:
I have 2 Condors
Whitewolf has 3 or 4 I think?
Rocker45 has one Condor
offroader has a Talon
Randyhub has one Condor
Ted has one Condor
Roland has 2 I think
Jesse has a Talon

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:49 pm 

Castle02 wrote:
In our AIRFT group:
I have 2 Condors
Rocker45 has one Condor
offroader has a Talon
Randyhub has one Condor
Ted has one Condor
Roland has 2 I think
Jesse has a Talon

I assume that this speaks to their quality and they are generally well liked? Am I wrong on the ergonomics of the gun?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:13 pm 

The quality of the rifles is excellent. I'm fine with the ergonomics of the rifle, although I do have a tank cover on my bottle to get a better cheekweld.

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:14 pm 

Castle02 wrote:
In our AIRFT group:
I have 2 Condors
Rocker45 has one Condor
offroader has a Talon
Randyhub has one Condor
Ted has one Condor
Roland has 2 I think
Jesse has a Talon

I have a regulated Talon as well in 20, 22 and 25 interchangeable barrels.. :-). I usually shoot in 20 cal. Great balance of accuracy, efficiency and power for what I use it for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:25 pm 

Only had mine at the range once- a .25. With the settings Whitewolf suggested to me for the top-hat and power settings, the JSB's & the 52gr. moly coated FP's each went into tiny holes for 5 shot groups, but I was only 20 yards away. The H&N 31.02gr. Baracuda RN's struck in line, but 1" higher than the 52gr. FP's. They also made a small 1-hole group.

I do love my Condor - seems to like everything I've put through it so far. I know Gordy's high-flow Talon .25 likes the Predator from previous shoots with him at the indoor range. The Predator pellet is up for testing next, as it is probably the one I'll use on field rats. Since I also had a CO2 Talon .177, at the range that day, I went to shooting that one and it-too showed the same type of 1-small hole accuracy at 20 yards. I think these Air Force rifles are amazing. I do thank Gordy for that CO2 frame and bl.

Maybe I can get him out to the range next Wed. night for some plinking indoors with the other lads.

I like that .25 Condor enough, that I have a 4-cavity mould coming for the FP bullet.

Whitewolf was right - it's a tremendous air rifle with a LOT of potential.

My hands are big, and loading single shot is a bit of a pain, but I am willing to put up with that minor annoyance. I don't think any one else puts out a comparable, adjustable and thus tune-able rifle in a repeater for under $1,000.00, so it's no contest, really. the Fx rifles apparently will run 900fps with 33gr. pellets- the Condor will do that & more with 52gr. pellets, I am told.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:25 pm 

So if I stick with the Condor, is there much difference between the .22 and .25? Seems the 25 may have a bit more reach, but otherwise they're fairly close in most aspects. I'd be doing some shooting at very close range (like 25 feet) and then some out at 30-40 yards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:19 pm 

With the 52gr.FNBT bullet, the Condor promises to deliver what the .22 absolutely cannot - 106fpe or more. According to Bob's tests, this bullet should run around .150 BC.

The first mould I bought cast beautiful bullets, a 52gr. FN solid BT and a 48gr. HPBT. The stem is adjustable for the Hp cavity, making for 2, 52gr.FP if you so desire, or multiple depth adjustments on the HP bullet, one that runs almost to the bottom of the bullet, if you desire.
The new mould that is coming in the mail now, is a 4-cavity, 52gr.FNBT design.

If I want to shoot .22, I have the Brocock Concept PCP and HW98 springer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:03 pm 

I'm not into doing my own casting at this point so I'll be stuck buying the commercially available pellets in either caliber. That was my concern for the .25 version...slightly higher cost, maybe not as good a pellet as the .22 which is produced in much higher quantities and versions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:12 pm 

I would go with the .25 cal.
Then you always have the option to get a .22
:evil: condor power :evil:
I'm thinking, though , the addiction in pcp's is just starting
Probably more in your future :wink:
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:17 pm 

i know if i had a spare 300 id order a hatsan 98 with vortec spring, 3x9 scope right now from Canada shooting supply, free shipping. I have never owned one but its my dream list go to next.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:11 pm 

I questioned Whitewolf about buying the Condor in .22 and getting a .25 barrel on the side.

His response was once I tried the .25 (with regular .22 pellets) I'd be unlikely to EVER put the .22 barrel back on.

I've only shot the .25 once at the range, but have been there with Gord with his high volume talon in .25 and I've seen it shoot - Whitewolf was quite right about the .25's- THEY are accurate and powerful.

If you don't want to hunt with it, or perhaps shoot target at longer ranges, maybe the .22 is all you need.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:10 pm 

Even though I'm not looking to hunt, I'm going to go with the.25 cal Condor as suggested. Seems there really are few disadvantages of going with the slightly larger caliber.
I'm going to get the tri rail as well to help with mounting a scope. Not sure if anyone here has used the tri rail but it seems to get very positive reviews in general.

I'm considering getting the micrometer tank as well down the road to turn down the fps for close range plinking.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:01 pm 

fishguy wrote:
Even though I'm not looking to hunt, I'm going to go with the.25 cal Condor as suggested. Seems there really are few disadvantages of going with the slightly larger caliber.
I'm going to get the tri rail as well to help with mounting a scope. Not sure if anyone here has used the tri rail but it seems to get very positive reviews in general.

I'm considering getting the micrometer tank as well down the road to turn down the fps for close range plinking.

Just to let you know, purchase a spare valve stem and set at 0.042-0.048 spacing is far cheaper then a micro tank. All your adjustments for lower power can be done with the power adjustment wheel.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:11 pm 

Went through 100 shots with the .25 Condor last weekend - great day. I seems to love the JSB's, H&N's and the Predators, as well, of course, the 51gr. FPBT's. From 26gr. to 51gr., all making tiny groups indoors at 20 meters.

The Brocock .22 Concept Walnut was also a lot of fun - and very accurate, but of course although much less powerful at only 20fpe. A really fun little rifle to shoot. It will be a blast on gophers this spring.

I did a quick accuracy test on the Condor, and from a 2,800psi I get 21 shots before the elevation drops due to velocity loss. That is with 31.02gr. Barracuda pellets and power setting of 4. They were noticeably faster than the Brocock .22 & whack the indoor range steel plates very hard.

Wednesday evening, I shot indoors with a bunch of guys. That night, I used the HW's, a 97 Blackline in .177 and 98 in .22. Both of those showed just about as good accuracy as the PCP's had the previous weekend, however they are 15fpe rifles. They also showed a propensity to shoot a wide range of pellets very accurately, both shooting their calibre Predators very nicely. The Preds punch perfect holds in the targets, just like handgun wadcutters.